Share This Page:

News Topics

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
pkelly00

News Topics

Post by pkelly00 »

Hey all, got my officer selection interview at the local AFCO, i was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions about some good local and world news that would be of use to read up on further
Hurricane Katrina? London Bombings? IRA?
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

Good day, when is your interview?

Would suggest anything that is major that has happen in the preceeding 6 months to your interview.
Iraq is always good, current situation in Afagnistan and what is likely to happen,Zimbabwe. European Army, violent crime reduction bill, increased powers for police re terrorists? Britians role within the EU at the moment could be interesting, proposed european army?

List is really endless.
pkelly00

Post by pkelly00 »

Cheers rockapemk1 for your suggestions, i've already been reading up on a good few stories for a while now, just thought i'd check. Got my interview this Thursday.

Ive been having a bit of trouble finding out about pilot training and Engineering Officer training. Had a look here and on the Cranwell site but couldnt see very much, at least not in any great detail. You know of any good sites
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

Good luck for Thursday. Take it that its your P1 filter interview?

Pilot training is abit up in the air at the moment(I know bad joke) due to the Marston report, they havent accepted it or rejected it yet in its current form to my knowledge, duty rumour is that its likely to happen Oct 2005.

EngO training - Pass im afriad. Would normally suggest grab an A4 facts sheet from the AFCO but its not a option here.

Stick EngO into the searh on here and see what you come up with.

GritchimpMk1
Big Cheese

Post by Big Cheese »

I can vaguely (sp?) help you with Eng O as a friend of mine has just completed it.

After IOT, it's a 9 mth (I believe) course at Cranwell in the Supply and Engineering sqn, however that's where my gen finishes!

Have a look on the Cranwell website as I believe there is some info there, and same again for pilot training.

Rockapemk1, hows your app going?

I'm re-applying fairly shortly so am looking forward to kicking off for the second round, and I'm hoping to be squaring away a few visits aswell. Got a mate at XV at Lossiemouth so I'm hoping to get a visit to 51 and say hello at the same time, and hopefully go back to Honnington.
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

BC, good to hear from you again.

Got my PROAC report back and its a strong reccommendation. Having my P1 and filter sometime in the next two months and going to ask for an OASC in Jan. Done my pre OASC eyetest on Friday and the results are good so thats one thing out of the way.

Getting sometime on 63 (QCS) soon with anyluck as well as 28(AC) Squadron. Will aslo be dropping my Honi later on next year when the next J course starts. In the mean time cracking on with the charity work and phys (got level 15 on the bleep test for the first time ever couple of weeks ago)

Well looking at the RAF Careers website "Urgently needed" list Regiment Officer is on there so fingers crossed for you.
Big Cheese

Post by Big Cheese »

Glad to hear that it's going well for you rockapemk1!!

I just saw that it's urgently needed aswell! Strange how quicly things can change. I best get the ball rolling sharpish!

Seems like you're doing some decent prep, I just can't urge you enough to prepare for the group planning exercise, and now I'm told they've brought back the individual planning exercise so that aswell!!

What sort of charity work have you got going? I'm in the process of sorting a place on a Raleigh expedition to Namibia early next year, so hopefully that goes ahead!

What d'you reckon the score would be in regards to doing PROAC again? D'you reckon I'd have to, or will they use my report from before? I don't mind going back, I had a great time, and yes, the curry night was a good laugh!!!