Share This Page:

SA80 weight

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
Jnr

SA80 weight

Post by Jnr »

wikipedia lists the weight with a SUSAT sight and full 30 round mag at 11lb (4.98kg), is this correct? i dont trust wiki to much and wanted to know for sure as i plan to start jogging round my local fields with a suitable size/weight log as part of my training

[edit] scratch this....found out from the army website. 6.59kg and yet again my distrust in wikipedia has been confirmed lol
The Paras or bust.......
ofens

Re: SA80 weight

Post by ofens »

Nice idea, but wouldn't worry too much about that if you're pre-recruit training.
Things like weight (bergen/daysack) and so on is introduced gradually during training.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Jnr

Post by Jnr »

yeah from what i've seen on youtube and heard elsewhere they ease you into things, just nice to have a lil bit of a head start. at 25 im guessing its gonna take me a lil longer to get up to the level needed than the 17-20 yr olds i'll most probably be training with so i'm just stacking the deck abit with my training if you know what i mean
The Paras or bust.......
ofens

Post by ofens »

Yes I get the idea. But once you start recruit training you won't do load carrying etc for some weeks and the time and effort you spent doing it won't really have got you anywhere.
The best thing you can do is ensure your CV and running ability is as good as it can be.
CV is the foundation, everything else can be built on top of this, even muscular endurance, if you can keep up.

25 is by no means old these days for starting recruit training.
It's a mixed variable, you shouldn't notice any difference in fitness to the 18 year olds.
But you should be a little more mentally fit - as in, mature enough to see things through (e.g. complete long runs without giving up, stay up late to finish ironing when you're exhausted...).
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Jnr

Post by Jnr »

ok i'll scrap that then,and thanks for the insight. i'll just keep putting the miles in and the cv will get there soon enough

and mentally i'm there already, having 2 young kids im used to staying up doing crap when id rather be asleep. also thanks for reminding me i need to learn how to iron again :lol:
The Paras or bust.......
ofens

Post by ofens »

No probs, good luck, and keep us posted on here with how it is going! 8)
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
chris86

Post by chris86 »

interesting nice idea i will wait for your next post about it on how is it going
who says pink weapon is only for girls? head shop is for boys!
Jnr

Post by Jnr »

well ive decided to treat my self to some extra testing :lol: , call it my own pre pps training and im going to enter the para10 run, hopefully Colchester but im going to asses my capabilities in a month or so and see where i'm at, and if i feel im lacking then i'll go for catterick in September. A few ex service men i know have tried talking me out of, saying they'll only start me on 3 mile runs and build me up from there but this is more of a personal test than anything else for myself. If nothing else its another £35 for the organisation and perhaps a chance to meet some of my future brothers
The Paras or bust.......
Tab

Post by Tab »

The Enfield was 8 lbs unloaded any way and that is with out bayonet