Share This Page:

UKSF ADVICE/HELP!

Discussions about Special Forces.
CHILLY

UKSF ADVICE/HELP!

Post by CHILLY »

Hello,

I am not in the military, however, I have toured the military bases of the world (Falklands, Kosovo, Cyprus, Iraq x2, Afghanistan x2 etc etc) so I am a big supporter of the Forces. I am in the process of writing a FICTIONAL novel, however I am very passionate about getting my facts STRAIGHT! I have MANY Questions to ask but I will start with just one and see how we get on!

Currently (or recently) what do UKSF use as off road buggies in Afghanistan?
DPV's, LSV's or something else entirely???

Many Many Thanks! x
Tab

Re: UKSF ADVICE/HELP!

Post by Tab »

UKSF is formed from 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment with a company of Marines and two squadrons of the RAF Reg attached to 1 Para

CHILLY

Post by CHILLY »

Thanks for your reply and Picture! Please can you let me know what that vehicle is?!! Also, perhaps I needed to be more specific. The character I am writing is a member of SBS. So the question probably should have read-

What would an SBS squadron use as off road buggies in Afghanistan? Operationally.
DPV's, LSV's or something else entirely???

Ta
Tab

Post by Tab »

I have no idea the make of that four wheeler, also each SF group will use equipment that suite their needs
CHILLY

Post by CHILLY »

Yep. Hence my asking the question!! Need someone who can tell me Specifics :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

As you are writing about the SBS the Internet is about as near as you will get.

http://www.specialboatservice.co.uk/sbs-vehicles.php

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
CHILLY

Post by CHILLY »

Any SBS boys on here...?! I'll settle for a bearded SAS'er too I guess!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Do you think that they would step up front and let people know there line of work, they are under instructions to keep a very low profile.
CHILLY

Post by CHILLY »

Thought someone in the know might be able to let me know what vehicles they drive at least!

By my most recent research it looks like 4x4 Supacat Special Operations Vehicles might be the ones but it would just be great to have someone give that a thumbs up or not....

Not asking anyone to divulge International Classified Material!!
:D
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

I would just stick to the lines of fiction with it to be honest. Just find the vehicle the looks the most probable (and cool :P) and go with that one... I doubt that, considering you can't find any info on them, that anyone else will come out criticising your work as ridiculous and un-realistic, and even if they do... you're writing fiction :)

Failing that, why not just stick with the basics. I'm sure the SBS blokes will use the RWMIK Land Rover that can be mounted with various weapons systems and comms gear, as well as carry plenty of rations, fuel and water for longe range missions.

Good luck with the book Chilly and I hope this helps you.
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
Charlie_Charlie1

Post by Charlie_Charlie1 »

Tab wrote:UKSF is formed from 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment with a company of Marines and two squadrons of the RAF Reg attached to 1 Para

Hi Tab, sorry my friend but this is completely wrong. I am assuming this is a typing mistake and you were infact referring to SFSG.

With reference to SFSG.It was formed officially on 3 April 2006 to support the Special Air Service, the Special Reconnaissance Regiment and the Special Boat Service on operations. You are correct in saying that the SFSG was initially composed of personnel from 1 Para, the Royal Marines and the RAF Regiment, but it is now tri service entry. Most have passed either P company or the Royal Marines Commando Course. However attachments such as medics and drivers are not required to have completed either of these.