Share This Page:

Joining 4 para or maybe 299 para

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
paddywak123

Joining 4 para or maybe 299 para

Post by paddywak123 »

Hello all, im a 44 yr old currently a reservist, in decent shape, but want to try 4 para or 299 para engineers.
My 1.5 mile is currently 10 mins, although im sure if i were running with others it would come down a bit, my 10 mile tab with 50lbs is 2hrs 15, which again has to be quicker, i run 5 mile a day, 7 on saturday and tab 10 mile on sunday's.
250 press ups a day, none of this is bragging, just giving an idication of fitness levels at the moment, but getting better.
I know 299 para and 4 para are completely different roles, the one thing they have in common is there airborne capability, and obviously 299 have to do p company.
Just wondered if any other older guys like me have passed p company, its a young mans game but i have the mental toughness for it, and would like to give it a go.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers.
Tab

Re: Joining 4 para or maybe 299 para

Post by Tab »

With out being rude it is a young mans game and if I remember rightly there is a limit on the age around the mid 30's. The last thing they need is some middle aged guy dropping dead while trying to qualify
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I think its now upto 44yrs with previous. You may get a waiver depending on previous service. Fitness sounds good for your age and would improve like you say drastically with them lot. Itll be hard graft keeping up to the young thrusters and you may get 'noticed' by the staff because of this. Having said that if you can do the tabs and all your other skills (admin, fieldcraft, shooting) are up to scratch then you will probably be ok. I guess it all depends if your face fits. Best bet is to get on the blower to HQ and see what they say. Ill assume your in the Leeds/Wakefield area?
'Every man an Emperor'
paddywak123

Post by paddywak123 »

gunner75 wrote:I think its now upto 44yrs with previous. You may get a waiver depending on previous service. Fitness sounds good for your age and would improve like you say drastically with them lot. Itll be hard graft keeping up to the young thrusters and you may get 'noticed' by the staff because of this. Having said that if you can do the tabs and all your other skills (admin, fieldcraft, shooting) are up to scratch then you will probably be ok. I guess it all depends if your face fits. Best bet is to get on the blower to HQ and see what they say. Ill assume your in the Leeds/Wakefield area?
Im actually from the newcastle area mate, so would pe 4 para c company or 299 para gateshead, i dont have to do cic as i have done omega with raf, but im dithering as i do not want to embarrass myself, i have a lot of pride, and want to finish what i start, everyone and his dog is telling me i cant do it, which i admit, is like a red rag to a bull lol
Its gonna happen, but dont know which outfit ill be doing it with.
cheers
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Ex Omega with regiment reserves or you do the fulltime effort? Im sure I heard somewhere you do 4paras CIC if you aint been soldiering for 3 years or more. When I was in this was called Ex Tiger Shark. Well Id be naturally biased toward 4para and Id imagine if your infantry you'd be wanting to do soldiering with them as opposed to the Engineering/combat side of things with 299. Your still in for some very hard graft whichever unit you decide to join so good luck! Just get yourself down to HQ and they will probably start ball rolling (if you can get through :roll: ) you may even get onto a insight weekend and see what their all about.
'Every man an Emperor'