Share This Page:

FINALLY My 14yr old daughter has made me proud (Kind of)

Talk about Military Life, Families, Relatives, Wives, Mothers, Fathers, Brothers and Sisters and the community.
Soggyllama

FINALLY My 14yr old daughter has made me proud (Kind of)

Post by Soggyllama »

OK, just a bit of background now, I have a 14yr old daughter, who in all fairness is a bitch. Always obsessing over hair and make-up, clean clothes, fashions etc etc.

Anyway, I'm starting with our local TA and all the family are fine with that (besides the usual warnings of "Don't you volunteer to go to Afghanistan blah blah etc etc")

Now completely out of the blue, my daughter comes home from school and ask me if she can join the RAF Cadets.................no other conversation, came in, dropped her stuff in her room, came to me and asked........RANDOM

Anyway, totally dumbfounded I agree'd but she is really not the type of girl interested in in 'playing' in mud or general army/military rough and tumble type activities.

Ok I admit, I'd prefer she'd join an Army cadets, but what can you do. :lol: Her local RAF Cadet place is located right next door to where I'd be doing my wednesday night drills, even on the same day and time so thats rather convenient.

Is there any advice or info anyone here can tell me (as I cant seem to get hold of the Cadets just yet) so I know what to expect off her/me?

Cheers
International Vegetarianism is Spreading

[color=red][b]DO YOUR DUTY!![/b][/color]

Carry a Ham.
MSI64

Re: FINALLY My 14yr old daughter has made me proud (Kind of)

Post by MSI64 »

Soggyllama wrote:OK, just a bit of background now, I have a 14yr old daughter, who in all fairness is a bitch. Always obsessing over hair and make-up, clean clothes, fashions etc etc.

Anyway, I'm starting with our local TA and all the family are fine with that (besides the usual warnings of "Don't you volunteer to go to Afghanistan blah blah etc etc")

Now completely out of the blue, my daughter comes home from school and ask me if she can join the RAF Cadets.................no other conversation, came in, dropped her stuff in her room, came to me and asked........RANDOM

Anyway, totally dumbfounded I agree'd but she is really not the type of girl interested in in 'playing' in mud or general army/military rough and tumble type activities.
Ok I admit, I'd prefer she'd join an Army cadets, but what can you do. :lol: Her local RAF Cadet place is located right next door to where I'd be doing my wednesday night drills, even on the same day and time so thats rather convenient.

Is there any advice or info anyone here can tell me (as I cant seem to get hold of the Cadets just yet) so I know what to expect off her/me?

Cheers
my bold Good job she went for the RAF cadets lol!!
Why not drop over and speak to her Instructors, probably not when she is there. Uncool Dad and all that!

But well done you (and her)
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

Ok good news, we went to the place she was told to go, and its actually Army Cadets, therefore i'm happy now :)

Cheers by the way MSI64 :)

Carry a Ham.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Ok thats a relief!!!!!!!!!!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

Yup, exactly what I thought :lol:, however, strangely its still in the same place at the same time on the same day, she contacted her friend who already attends there, and its confirmed, it IS the Army Cadets she wants to join, She now has an info pack winging (or should that be marching) its way to her in the mail. Does anyone know how the cadets work, like training etc etc. The website doesn't seem to show much in regards there more or less everything you click on asks for your address to order an information pack.

Cheers

Carry a Ham.
DarrenC

Post by DarrenC »

Hey mate, I was in the Army Cadets and I personally enjoyed it. On the nights she would probley be doing class room stuff like - map and compass, first aid, drill, PT, skill at arms (if they have access to weapons) field craft. It's a good thing for young people to get into as they learn some stuff they wouldent in other places and get to do things they wouldent aswell. hope this has helped and just if you want to know anymore. :]
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

DarrenC wrote:Hey mate, I was in the Army Cadets and I personally enjoyed it. On the nights she would probley be doing class room stuff like - map and compass, first aid, drill, PT, skill at arms (if they have access to weapons) field craft. It's a good thing for young people to get into as they learn some stuff they wouldent in other places and get to do things they wouldent aswell. hope this has helped and just if you want to know anymore. :]
Oh right cool, I DO beleive they have access to arms as her Cadet nights are directly next door to the TA center I'll be attending. Is cadets just like a 'mini army' in respect to what they do, or is it just another youth club type place?

Carry a Ham.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

That depends on the Cadet centre mate.

Some are just youth clubs whilst others are very professional.
Go talk to the Adult Instructors to get a feel for the atmosphere!
So I guess its back to bedblocks and locker inspections in your house from now on?? :D

Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

OOoooooh yeah. Everything I get screamed at, so will she, every bit of tortuous act I receive, so will she :lol: . I just hope She doesnt get gobby and I get beasted for it since we're in the same 'training area :-?

Carry a Ham.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Just pray she doesnt get promoted before you :o

Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

cheers mate, TOTALLY depress me why dont ya :lol:

Carry a Ham.
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

ok as a bit of preparation for her time in the Cadets when I walk ast her now, I give her a quick dig to the ribs, or flick her ear. Usually I get the...

"DAD!!! What was that for?"

to which I reply....

"You'll get worse than that in the army" :)

I love this cadets idea, gives me a reason to 'Legally' beat my kids and have it put down to 'Mentally and physically preparing them for army life' :)

Carry a Ham.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Dad Dad whats that big hole in the back garden???

That Love, is your new bedroom :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

LMAO. Love it..... :lol:

Carry a Ham.
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

Ok she's had her first 2 meetings (Monday and Wednesday) and she is thoroughly enjoying it. Just need to return the ACP application form and wait for her Greens :) Just need to payout for some boots then we're sorted.

Carry a Ham.