Share This Page:

Best Service Rifle in the World

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

Best Service Rifle in the World

AUG
14%
SCAR
18%
FN 2000
2%
C8
23%
TYPE 95
No votes
G36
25%
AN94 (AK47)
18%
SIG 550 family
No votes

Total votes: 44

terryrat

Post by terryrat »

SLR GPMG or gimpy as we knew it ..what i call lift em up "n" knock em down dead weapons :lol:
THE BERET OF THE ROYAL MARINE COMMANDO, He who wear's it does so with pride. He who doesn't has no f@*king concept of how hard it is to attain!
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

BigStevie wrote:They are actually considering going back to the MP-5...for house entries the G36 C has proved unpopular.
Surely that would be a good idea. you cant get any better than that for CQB?

I think we should convert back to 7.62 or something imbetween that and 5.56. Especially for Afghanistan, the ranges are greater and some of the tablian are so smacked up you need a Jav to drop them!
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
swompy

Post by swompy »

I know its not on the list but I do like the M21 Sniper rifle

But if I had a choice of which weapon to use it would ether be the FN2000 or SCAR
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I acheived a 2 inch group on a figure 12 target with five rounds just using the iron sights from 1500 meters.
That is awesome shooting. You deserved every penny you earned off the back of that.

Most of us seasoned riflemen would be happy to get a group like that at 100m.

Great eyesight as well, I can barely see a Fig 12 at 300m.

Sorry to hear about the murder charges though, that must have been rough.
timex

Post by timex »

I acheived a 2 inch group on a figure 12 target with five rounds just using the iron sights from 1500 meters.
Clucking bell, couldn't do that with the L42 even with the sight. Mind you Iron sights were a bit better at times..how many times did those bloody sights topple. One of the armourers in 45 offered to put a civvy scope on mine for me but it was going to cost a bit so never bothered, as it was I had a bloody good one for a couple of years.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

It must be a typo, I think he meant 150 metres (and that would still be a very good grouping).
timex

Post by timex »

Rogue Chef wrote:It must be a typo, I think he meant 150 metres (and that would still be a very good grouping).
The standard groupling for the L42 and SLR was supposed to be 1" @ 100 mts, as Artist said the Iron sights on the L42 were cracking...no need to remember your clicks..2,3,3,3,4,4,6,7,8,9. (I think, and don't even ask about the windage)!
Artist

Post by Artist »

It was a Figure 11 (sorry!). It was a 2" group and it was 1500 metres using an iron sight. I like to think I was pretty good truth be told.

It was also a dead calm with no wind at all.

As to the court visits in NI...........Not much fun stood behind a frosted lump of glass hearing that your a Murderer working for the British Goverment.

Artist
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Artist,

Very well done. The current minimum required standard (APWT) at 100m for a rifleman is a 150mm (6 inches) group. A 50mm (2 inches) group at 100m would be exceptional (marksman), so I take my hat off to you for being able to achieve that at 1500m with an open/iron sight, particularly as the maximum range at Tregantle is 600m. To be on a firing point 1500m away from the targets, you would have to be firing from the north side of the village of Lower Tregantle.

GR, Doc, AS I know you are far more knowledgeable than me so please feel free to comment and/or join with me in congratulating Artist for a truly unbelievable achievement.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Returns with cap in hand having spoken to mate Jonny who was also there on the telling bone ref that day. delete 1500 insert 500....... :oops: :oops:

Well! It was over 30 years ago and it was hot. Confimed as Tregantle mind.

Artist
timex

Post by timex »

Artist wrote:Returns with cap in hand having spoken to mate Jonny who was also there on the telling bone ref that day. delete 1500 insert 500....... :oops: :oops:

Well! It was over 30 years ago and it was hot. Confimed as Tregantle mind.

Artist
Bet the swirl was good though....
Artist

Post by Artist »

Them days everything was good Timex.

We thought we were the dogs bollox and by heck it showed when we were out and about. Happy days so they were.

Artist
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

Since I am biased because I own one, I am going with the British SLR. Also, in my opinion it was much better than the T-44/M-14 during the 50's testing of both rifles.

Just because it wasn't made in the US of A was a attitude based upon too much pride and not enough "Common Sense".

I was able to fire allot of weapons during a Machine Gun Shoot in south central Ohio a few years back. My SLR out shot the G-3, M-14 (Select fire), and an Israeli HB FAL.

Oh, and by the way, I am still looking for some accessories to go with my SLR if anybody out there can help me with?

Again, my vote goes to the SLR, FWIW! :D
Artist

Post by Artist »

Everytime you "Broke" an SLR to clean it you lost your aiming point. As in the zeroing went tits up. Most blokes who had been to NI for a tour soon sussed that the purchase of a SUIT sight was a bonus.

So there I was, spent £45, on me Oppos reccomendation I hasten to add! Only to find out that the Corps was going to Issue SUIT sights to the next unit to attend that wonderful place anyway! :evil:

Artist
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

OUCH! I bet that hurt a little!

But wouldn't you agree with my little assessment. Or do you like/prefer the M-14 over the SLR?