Share This Page:

War Pensions

General chat about Military Finance, Pensions, etc.
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

War Pensions 0800 169 22 77 have your National Insurance No with you.

Who can claim?

Anyone who has been in the armed forces for over 7 days.
The claim form goes back to the First WW.

What can you claim for?
Any injury that you got whilst in the Armed Forces. This includes deafness, and injuries whilst on the sports field.

In simple terms it is the "Public Liability Insurance" for the Armed Forces, ie if you hurt yourself whilst working in the factory you sort it out with the firms insurance. In the Armed Forces you sort it out with the WPA (War Pensions Agency)

You can not claim for falling off the NAAFI table whilst doing The Zulu Warrior.

Do I need to contact a solicitor?
NO! They charge you, but the RBL ( Royal British Leigon) do it for free.

How long will it take?
Flaming ages... and I meen it!
But do not worry as the claim is valid from the day you started claiming. AND (hypothetical) if it's £20 per week it is back dated to when you STARTED claiming, NOT from when the injury took place. So in simple terms beer tokens are being saved for you, which you WILL get..eventually.

To finish
CLAIM IT IS YOUR LEGAL RIGHT SO TO DO.

ie Ring that number at the top NOW and ask for a claim form.

GET OFF THE WEB AND RING. N O W !!!

Any probs come back willing to talk.
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Just to dispel another myth:
You don't need a 'Hurt Certificate', they stopped issuing them ages ago anyway.
But I understand you need a damn good memory (only :grin:).
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Hurt Certs. DO NOT SEND THEM send a COPY They have a bad habit of loosing them.
Get you doc on your side and tell him you are making a claim.

If going for that first appointment ask for the last one and make it a double one as otherwise you hold up the whole of the queue

To help you doc out get him to send for you MED DOCs RM/RN from Historical Records RNH Haslar Gosport Hants. Quote Name No ETC date of joining, date of leaving. It helps him see what has happened to you and how they treated you. Also it jogs you memory as YOU can read them.
biggles

Post by biggles »

I think that for deafness you have to have over 20% disability now to get anything from WPA. Too many were claiming and getting the one off payments.

I'm also sure you have to have over 20% disability to get a weekly pension. But if you have more than 1 injury they all go towards the final %.

and DON'T FORGET Allowance for Lower Standard of Occupation (ALSO)

biggles
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

how much do you get if you get shot in the leg?
biggles

Post by biggles »

On 2002-01-12 17:30, Geoff wrote:
how much do you get if you get shot in the leg?
if this is a serious question; it would depend on the degree of disability.

biggles
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

say the bullet messed you nerv's in your leg, and were unable to move it..
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Biggles, Why does it take so long? It is because it is a government agency and it is run by civil servants. Nothing ever moves very quickly in those offices.
But as above DO NOT worry as it all goes back to the start. And truthfully would you save the beer tokens if I gave them to you now?

Yes it is true that the weekly payment kicks in at 20% and that is the figure to aim for...AS A STARTER

Hearing they changed the rules in Jan 97 where they stopped the lumpsum payout, to anyone with LESS that 20% hearing loss.

Hearing is also a big bone of contention as you see a normal civvie doc, or the travelling hearing aid people and they asses you at 20% plus. WPA cos they have to pay you out work on a different set of rules.

Shot in the leg.
It depends on how. Was it a flesh wound that just left a scar? Was it one that blew a bone away? etc etc.
Does it give you problems now?
Does it stop you from walking properly?
Either way
C L A I M

As with the deafness they can only say no.

And then you appeal

If you are not happy with the assesment

You appeal
biggles

Post by biggles »

This link may be of use http://www.warpensions.gov.uk/

biggles (the men only followed this NCO out of curiosity :wink: )
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Guys,

Civvie Doc doesn't think I have anything unusual for my age - bearing in mind my previous lifestyle, quote "just old age creeping in".
Last edited by Mutley on Thu 18 Apr, 2002 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

In words of one or two syllables

Y E S

SyY
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Taxation of Attributable Army Invaliding Pensions.

You may be aware of the recent media coverage on taxation owed to some pensioners in receipt of an Army service attributable invaliding pension.

The taxation issue refers to Army pensioners in receipt of a SERVICE ATTRIBUTABLE INVALIDING PENSION and NOT a War Disablement Pension.

If you have any enquiries concerning tax allowances please write to:

Army Pensions Office
MP480 Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX

You will need to give your personal details such as name and service number or in the case of widows, the name and service number of the qualifying serviceman and the date of death.
Yours Aye
Tony L
[url=http://www.civvie-street.co.uk][img]http://www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk/images/sigyomp.gif[/img][/url]
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Hot Tip
I have just become aware that your enquiries are logged as they are received. So:
1. a phone or email enquiry is logged instantly
2. a letter is logged the day it reaches someones desk.
3. an internet enquiry is not logged, and if you download an application form from the net this is not logged until they receive it.

Suggest ALWAYS phone or email so they send you a (blank) form and if you agree will immediately request your service docs from MOD.

If you have to write in give them authority to request your service docs from MOD in your letter.

Don't try and fill in the form online unless you have unlimited access, unlimited time and you are Mr Memory........ 22 pages of typical civil servant questions. With masses of room for Y/N answers and tiny boxes for essay answers!! Dont get put off though.

According to the form you can ask to receive your payment quarterly (officers), or every 13 weeks (other ranks)......... My maths must be dreadful, because I thought 13 x 4 = 52........

You could always download a form anyway and use it as a draft copy to start the brain cells working.

Whats the importance of your enquiry being logged? That is where any backdating of claims begins from. So once you send in your form - dont forget to enclose the back sheet from the WPA letter which has a reference number and a date on it.

Last edited by Mutley on Wed 03 Apr, 2002 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

The time starts NOW. In simple terms.

ONLY from when YOU make that FIRST phone call etc does your time start.

NO it can not be backdated. So dad and grandad who were in WW1/WW2 can not go back. It starts now.

The worst of it and this goes for all 3 services. Well I'm alright now maybe tomorrow.

Also in the years before people never said anything about WP as the were almost ashamed to addmit that there was something wrong, or even worse they were getting a "free handout" for it.

So sorry your time starts now.

Med docs You have to get YOUR GP to get them You cannot send for them yourself.

RM/RN from Historical Records RNH Haslar Gosport Hants. You need Name Rank Number date joined date left.

CLAIM CLAIM CLAIM
Jim T

Post by Jim T »

Yorkie

as you know I have a claim for a WP which is ongoing. At what point should I involve the RBL, as I was only going to involve them if I had to appeal?.

Also is it a pussers doc who examins you or just a civvie DSS doc?.

Jim T