Share This Page:

Second choice career

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
djdenyer

Second choice career

Post by djdenyer »

Hi,

What is the purpose of having a second choice when applying for the RAF, I understand it may be because your chosen job isn't available but say for instance you don't meet the criteria for you first job do they then consider your second choice.

Ta

Danny
AFCO - 22nd August CHECK
AFCO Presentation - 21st September
jon_rafreg

Post by jon_rafreg »

I think it's if a certain trade has a longer waiting list.

For example if you said, 1st choice RAF Police :-? , 2nd Choice RAF Regt :) . They could say there is a 6 month wait for Police and then twist your arm into being a Gunner so you could be in quicker.

Or you could genuinely have two chioces if your going on the Technical side of things. And then they could find the most suitable chioce for you.

What trade are you applying for?
AST: Passed March 2005
Gap Year and a half (Spent in Pub)
Felt guilty went back to AFCO.
Formal Selection Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed
djdenyer

Post by djdenyer »

Hi,
I'm applying as a WSOP, just been to my presentation need to book an interview at the AFCO in a fortnight. They told me though that I could also apply for another trade as ground based and aircrew have a different application process.
Something to fall back on I suppose if i didn't pass at OASC, don't think you have to wait either to apply.
AFCO - 22nd August CHECK
AFCO Presentation - 21st September
jon_rafreg

Post by jon_rafreg »

I suppose if you got to a point and they said WSOP was out of the question then you could still go and do something that interested you.

My first choice of millionaire was permantly unavailable, so sadly my second choice is now in progress :D
AST: Passed March 2005
Gap Year and a half (Spent in Pub)
Felt guilty went back to AFCO.
Formal Selection Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

They won't want you to list a non-aircrew/commissioned second choice (i.e. RAF Regt Gnr) on your current paperwork. The OASC process is different to the trade application process.