Share This Page:

AIRBORNE WINGS???

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
big jar of wasps

AIRBORNE WINGS???

Post by big jar of wasps »

Hi,

Just out of interest can anyone tell me the differance between RAF and Army Para wings? Is there also a differance between Reg and TA/Aux wings?

BJOW :-?
Doc

Post by Doc »

I had a mate who was a RN medic with me but used to be RAF regt and had his wings, he wore normal wings until our SSM told him that he wasnt qualified to wear them has he was RAF qualified. He then replaced them with RAF wings that were the same design but (if I remember correctly) had a blueish background felt with a slightly different wing colour aswell.

So there are different colours to distinguish different "para" units. The RM wear standard Army wings though.

Off on a tangent here but I was under the impression that if someone had jumped operationally then the wings move from the upper arm to the chest?

I have brown wings but havent jumped operationally though getting them was nearly war as she wasnt best pleased at my movements south :lol: :lol:
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

this is off on a tangent here but i read somewhere that if you jump with a usa parachute equipment 4 times then u get there wings and can put them on your uniform
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

flynn101 wrote:this is off on a tangent here but i read somewhere that if you jump with a usa parachute equipment 4 times then u get there wings and can put them on your uniform

Is this English?Are you new to this Language?
Jeez,Use your spell checker before you post. :roll:
Wholley.
big jar of wasps

Wings

Cheers Guys, that is interesting. I assume then that the RAF don`t do P Company, just the jumps. So to that end do they jump in in order to fight?
Haven`t heard about the wings moving to your chest before, but i have seen guys wearing different countries wings, i think the Canadian ones look the best.
BJOW.
Doc

Post by Doc »

wholley wrote:
flynn101 wrote:this is off on a tangent here but i read somewhere that if you jump with a usa parachute equipment 4 times then u get there wings and can put them on your uniform

Is this English?Are you new to this Language?
Jeez,Use your spell checker before you post. :roll:
Wholley.
English???

Das ist nicht richtig. Wenn Sie ein britischer Fallschirmjäger sind, müssen Sie den Amercian Kurs durchführen. Dann können Sie auf Ihrer Jacke eine Abzeichen tragen. Aber nicht auf Ihrer normalise Uniform.

Better???
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Doc wrote:
Better???
Muchly.
Oneliner etc...etc.
Wholley(Das Vogel) :P
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

Doc,

When the WW2 SAS chaps completed their para training, they had the choice to wear them on their shoulder or wait until they had completed an operation and wear them on their chest. The vast majority of guys did just that. That is why you see the old and bold SAS wearing them on their chest. In addition to that I also belive the a lot of SOE men and women also wore them on the chest. In those days the qualification was a relatively new one, so it took time for regulations to be formed. Since 1945 (as far as I am aware) UK para wings have been worn on the shoulder.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Cheers Hantslad, Ive never seen anyone myself with wings on chest, but knew there was a history there somewhere

Cheers bud

Doc
GD

Post by GD »

Is it not true though that even crabs have to do P Coy to get their wings. Not that it's relevant to me of course for several reasons:

1. I'm a coward
2. I'm a coward
3. There's no parachute big enough for an MBT
4. I'm a coward.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
big jar of wasps

GD, I can see the logic in your thinking!!!!

Just out of interest, what would I have to do to get my wings if I was in the RAuxAF?
GD

Post by GD »

Kiss the right ass mate - that always works :P
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
4of10

Re: AIRBORNE WINGS???

Post by 4of10 »

big jar of wasps wrote:Hi,

Just out of interest can anyone tell me the differance between RAF and Army Para wings? Is there also a differance between Reg and TA/Aux wings?

BJOW :-?
Wings ("Basic Parachute Wings") are for *operational* parachutists. So far as I've seen, they're all the same as the army's, except for the RN and RAF who use their own service's colour schemes. RM use Army Wings except on their "Lovats" (RM smarter version of Army No2s) - bullion on green background(?). These days worn 2" from the top of the right shoulder.

Once an operational parachutist, you're always entitled to wear these - except *perhaps* if you refuse to jump. (I'm not sure, never encountered such a thing).

I've seen loads of regimental colour-schemed wings sold as Light Infantry, Black Watch, etc. I think these are "surplus shop specials". Perhaps, in a bygone era, these *might* have been worn when a ex-parachutist joined these units.

The "Lightbulb" (Just the parachute without the wings) is what *non*-operational parachutists are entitled to wear. Worn on the left (?) cuff. I've never seen this being followed probably because the forces don't bother regulating this or don't understand it. Perhaps the entitlement rules have changed.

SAS: *two* Wings, three Regiments (22 = Reg; 21 & 23 = TA). The modern Wings are slightly different to the WWII version. 21 and 22 Regts wear the same (upturned) Wings. 23 Regt wear their own (downturned) Wings.

Modern Wings on the chest: If you see a Brit soldier with what looks like Brit Wings on the chest, listen for the accent. Australian Army parachutists serving in Brit ABF (don't know about other Brit units) can wear their very similar Wings as foreign Wings, but on the right breast. (WWII Operational Wings were worn on the left)

I think Dutch and Belgian Wings are similar to Brit and worn on the chest.
"No Camera - No Combat!"
Doc

Post by Doc »

The lightbulb has been binned, you only get to goto PTS if you are going to jump operationaly or have done PCoy / AACC / Selection

RN dont have a seperate colour scheme for wings on working dress, but wear a gold wired set on No1's when in flares for parades and the like.

RAF have a seperate colour scheme for their wings if you have done their selection and then gone to PTS, if you are a crab and have done PCoy or AACC then you can wear "normal" wings

Other para wings from completing foreign courses can be worn on combat smocks only and at CO's discretion.

Aint a scooby's about SF stuff best wait out for a response from one of them.

Vielen dank
got1

Re: Wings

Post by got1 »

[quote="big jar of wasps"]Cheers Guys, that is interesting. I assume then that the RAF don`t do P Company, just the jumps. So to that end do they jump in in order to fight?
Haven`t heard about the wings moving to your chest before, but i have seen guys wearing different countries wings, i think the Canadian ones look the best.
BJOW.[/quote]

You are/ were allowed to wear another countries wings on your smock ( right breast) if you had done the required number of jumps with that countries para's. I got my German wings having done 8 jumps with them.
The best one's for posing is the French wings (large brown and silver metal wings). Can't remember what the Canadian wings look like.