Share This Page:

So i've decided to join...

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
Clark136

So i've decided to join...

Post by Clark136 »

hello all! Ive decided to join the RMR (Plymouth detachment) and i've been to the presentation evening, but as like all things like that, i've thought of a couple of questions that i forgot to ask. Im going to the AFCO next week but I thought i'd ask the all knowing people on here first:

1/. Am I right in thinking that after the PJFT, medical, interview, eyetest and the written naval entrance test, that everyone gets put on holding Troop? or is this just for those peope who want to do it? (I deffinately want to do it!)

2/. Is the PRMC the same format as for the regulars, and is it carried out at the end of the Holding Troop period of time? Im presuming Holding troop is there to get you fit enough to get through PRMC?

3/. At the moment im doing two 3 mile runs a week (22mins on hte running machine - moving to road runs soon), 5 sets of 40 pressups a night and 2 sets in the mornings, and ive started to do 50 situps a night and chinups - although im only on 5 chinups at the moment. Is this a reasonable start for Holding Troop? How fit do they expect you to be before joining it?

Cheers fellas,

Chris
fodd

Post by fodd »

welcome to the forums mate i cant really awnser your questions but there are lads on here serving in RMR but what i do know entry tests are the same as regs mate! they tell you you can pass prmc with 3 pull ups but in week 9 you have to be able to do 5 and i presume this is the same as rmr but hang tight someone better suited will be able to awnser your questions better.

Ross
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Clark136

Post by Clark136 »

cheers for the reply and welcome, Ross. :soldier_salut:
fodd

Post by fodd »

No worries mate just make sure you have your inflatable rubber dagger to hand :wink:
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Clark136

Post by Clark136 »

don't knock the rubber dagger mate - could give someone some quite serious bruising with one of those! :D
TT

Post by TT »

Hello there

I'm in phase 1 rct training with RMR Bristol.

Your phys sounds fine except for the running. You need to be cracking at least 3x3 miles in under 22 mins every week on the road as per our PTI but personally I'd say you'd be best off doing more, a lot more.

There is no selection weekend but an introductory weekend instead where you have to do the bleep test, run a BFT in boots and get all kit issued.

As for holding troop, you'll do that until the next phase 1 course starts in October. There you'll do phys and lectures with the phase 1 lads. Not been to plymouth det so don't know the set up.

Good luck
Clark136

Post by Clark136 »

cheers TT - thats great info,

yeh i know my running aint exactly marathon standard yet, and im planning on adding the third run and a 10mile bike ride each week. I'll prob be making the third run a 4 miler actually.

Cheers for the advice mate