Share This Page:

Specific risk to Harry deployment "unacceptable"

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
SO19

Specific risk to Harry deployment "unacceptable"

Post by SO19 »

Specific risk to Harry deployment "unacceptable" - CGS
16 May 07

Chief of the General Staff General Sir Richard Dannatt has decided that HRH Prince Harry should not currently deploy to Iraq, on the basis of his constant review of the specific risks.

Chief of the General Staff General Sir Richard Dannatt, second from left, during a recent visit to Iraq [Picture: Army]

In a statement, General Dannatt said:

"Over the last few weeks I have made a particular point of saying that I would keep under constant review my decision to deploy Prince Harry to Iraq with his Troop. As with any military operation, circumstances do change, and therefore so should decisions, if necessary.

"I have decided today that Prince Harry will not deploy as a Troop Leader with his Squadron. I have come to this final decision following a further and wide round of consultation, including a visit to Iraq by myself at the end of last week.

"There have been a number of specific threats – some reported and some not reported - which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual. These threats place not only him but also those around him to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable. Now that I have decided that he will not be deploying with his Troop, the risks faced by his Battlegroup are no different to those faced by any other Battlegroup or other of our Servicemen in Iraq.

"I have to add that a contributing factor to this increase in threat to Prince Harry has been the widespread knowledge and discussion of his deployment. It is a fact that this close scrutiny has exacerbated the situation and this is something that I wish to avoid in future.

"Let me also make quite clear that as a professional soldier, Prince Harry himself will be extremely disappointed. He has proved himself both at Sandhurst and in command of his Troop during their training. I commend him for his determination and his undoubted talent – and I do not say that lightly. His soldiers will miss his leadership in Iraq, although I know his Commanding Officer will provide a highly capable substitute Troop Leader.

"In conclusion, two further points: First, I have asked Prince Harry’s Commanding Officer to continue to develop Prince Harry’s professional career in the Army, but I am not prepared to speculate, either now or in the future, on what Prince Harry might be doing over the next few weeks, months and years.

"Second, I pay tribute once again to the excellence and commitment of all our Servicemen deployed around the World and I thank them, and their families, for the way that they are doing their duty in the best traditions of the Armed Forces."

CGS had previously stated that Prince Harry’s deployment would be kept under constant review. As with any military operation, circumstances change. Current intelligence indicates that the treat to him and those around him is at an unacceptable level of risk, and significantly greater than that which would be associated with a deployment without him. CGS’s recent visit to Iraq further informed that assessment.

In light of this, CGS has decided Prince Harry is not going to deploy at this time, as he is not willing to put him or those around him at unnecessary risk. As before, the threat level will be kept under constant review.

This was a military decision based on a military assessment, taken by CGS. Clarence House, Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street and the Defence Secretary have been informed.

Whilst MOD acknowledges that the security situation in Iraq is challenging and demanding for all our troops, this decision was taken as a result of the very specific threat to Prince Harry. This is not the first time that deployment plans for individuals have changed in the light of a specific threat.

This does not mean that Prince Harry will never deploy. Both Prince Harry and his elder brother Prince William will continue to play a full role within their regiments, with future overseas deployments considered on a case-by-case basis.

Lessons will be learnt from the widespread knowledge of Prince Harry’s deployment. CGS's preference is to say nothing or the absolute minimum about any future deployments of the Princes for reasons of operational security.

Although some insurgents might try to paint this decision as a success for them, the reality is that UK operations in support of Iraq's government will continue, and deny them such a high value target. Prince Harry's troop will still deploy, commanded by a suitably qualified individual.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... bleCgs.htm
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Finally they've come to their senses. What a balls up from start to finish.

If they were going to send him they should have just shut up about it and he'd have been back before anyone even knew he'd gone but once they announced it to the whole world it was always going to be a disaster, even now they're not sending him it's handed the enemy a nice little propaganda victory.
GreyWing

Post by GreyWing »

Yep thank God someone has woken up at the MOD,

To the insurgent's argument that they say they scared him off, easy answer to that is "you send Bin Laden, and we'll send Harry"

Nope, didn't think so.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Can I just point out that we don't publically discuss personal / operational news for any other serving soldiers, and should afford Cornet Wales the same courtesy.

Personally, I'd love to get into this, but journalists and such do float on by here occasionally, and it's bad drills. One for the Retreat perhaps.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

I think this has got to be a bluff. They are going to publish the fact that they are not sending him out and then send him anyway under the radar.

He will be kicking and screaming to daddy if they didnt let him. :P

Afterall he did drag his "sorry arse through sandhurst". :lol:

I would refuse to go on patrol with him, simply by the fact that he is going to get me and the blokes round me killed. Selfish if you asked me. Why did he join the army in the first place.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I think the point here is that if Harry was deployed the British press would tell the enemy exactly where he is.
The BBC being the worst offender here.
Remember"Atlantic Conveyer" Anyone?
The Beeb told the Argentine Airforce precisely where she was.
When Maggie gave them a slap they simply said,
"Freedom of the Press,Sorry" :evil:

Still,
It makes the British Army look stupid and prevaricating.
Seems to me that Whitehall,The MoD and 10 Drowning Street should have better comms. :roll:

I'm just a dumb yank,
So what would I know 8)
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Same as you mate, to serve his country.

Dont beat down on him too hard, it's not his fault.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Chas

Post by Chas »

At last common sense prevails! However his eagerness to serve alongside his men is commendable.

This affair has been mishandled by the Govt who cynically pretended that it was a military decision for the Chief of General Staff. Sending the third in line to the throne to a savage war zone was always a political decision which should have been handled by ministers. The MOD has been crass with all the attendant publicity and contradictary announcements and ludicrously suggesting that Cornet Wales would be trailed by a camera crew to record his
derring- do. I would not wish to serve with him under those conditions.

Who do these arseholes think they are ? Now the Iraqi insurgents have a nice propaganda coup.

Finally the military has been completely wrongfooted and it would be better that no information of this sort was ever given the oxygen of publicity. The D notice should be enforced on all 'hacks' when news is likely to endanger the life of ANY serving soldier.

Chas. :evil:
Tab

Post by Tab »

If Harry & William are never going to be deployed in the Army shouldn't they take up a safer job in the Navy or Airforce
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Quite frankly this problem should never have came up Prince Harry and William both joined up AFTER the invasion of Iraq so the guys in charge at the MOD and the polititions knew they were going to find themselves with the question of "what to do with the Princes."

True to form though they put off making the tough decision up until they found themselves with Harry's regiment about to be deployed to Iraq and having no idea of what they should do about it.

What they should have done was make a decision on his role BEFORE he even entered his basic training. It was no secret that they were going to join up, therefore they should have directed them into a field that wouldn't leave them as exposed ie; the Navy or maybe RAF ground crew or even a pilot ( I'm thinking transport rather than fighter pilot) this would have made decisions on deployments much easier and alowed them to be much more useful in their intended role, than them joining the army as a bloody Recce comander of all things for fecks sake!!

A second decison they could have taken if the Princes couldn't be persuaded to choose a different career path would have been to issue some sort of blanket ban on reporting on the Princes like they did while they were at University.

This would mean that there would be no reporting on them while they were in the army, thus enabling them to go where they were needed without it being broadcast.

The fact that they've had their collective heads up their arses is no suprise but they should have seen this coming and dealt with it a long time ago.
Chas

Post by Chas »

"Order has led to counter order and now disorder!" :roll:

Chas. :evil:
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

I wish you lot would fcuk off :evil:
I`m not effing going to Iraq, ffs :roll:
And who`s this William bloke :-?

My view? Send him.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Agreed, Harry. He should go, if not now then at an unannounced time in the future.

His name went on the line like ours, if you wear the clothes then you should do the job.

Dannatt has clearly been told that his Field Marshal's baton could be lost in the post.

Now. not wishing the worst on anyone but consider this -

Which would have the worst fall-out: if one of the Princes were killed, or if one of them came back with real black-dog PTSD?
Chas

Post by Chas »

Don't blame Dannatt blame the politicians it was up to them all the time
since Cornet Wales is third in line to the throne.
The armed forces are subserviant to the Govt of the day.
And what tossers these politicians are ! Uttterly useless.
Finally the rank of Field Marshal no longer exists.
So no baton for him anyway. :roll:
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

BigStevie wrote: Which would have the worst fall-out: if one of the Princes were killed, or if one of them came back with real black-dog PTSD?
Or if his entire troop was wiped out as a result of him being targeted [the date, time and route of his patrol being published by the media beforehand, of course! :roll: :evil: :evil: ]