Share This Page:

Environmental Health Technician

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
djdenyer

Environmental Health Technician

Post by djdenyer »

Hi,

Just applied for the RAF as a WSOP, I fancy as my second choice being an Environmental Health Technician? What's it like? Any EHTs on the board could give us info it would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Danny D :wink:
AFCO - 22nd August CHECK
AFCO Presentation - 21st September
Tab

Post by Tab »

Environmental Health Technican....Does this mean you are toilet cleaner
djdenyer

Post by djdenyer »

No think you it's like the civvy equivalent where Environmental Health Officer you inspect resteraunts etc. good travelling I am led to believe.
AFCO - 22nd August CHECK
AFCO Presentation - 21st September
Dawnie

Post by Dawnie »

Hi there, Im an Environmental Health Technician in the RAF.
Your role as an EH Tech involves:

1. Visiting various Units to conduct Catering Hygiene Assessments.
2. Visiting Service hospitals to carry out bacteriological assessments of the operating theatres.
3. Provide advice on Communicable Disease Control to service personnel going Out of Area or on Expeds/Adventure Training to foreign countries.
4. Conduct Occupational Hygiene Assessments (ie monitoring for hazardous substances) and provide advise on the reduction and/or elimination of these.
5. Loads of other bits and bobs

In short, the role is extremely diverse and the trade training can be hardgoing. On the up side all the qualifications you receive are civilian, including:

Foundation Degree in Environmental Health
NEBOSH General Certificate in Health and Safety
BOHS Certificate in Occupational Hygiene (Optional After Finishng Trade Training).
Advance Food Hygiene Certificate

Hope this information has helped but if not just PM me anything you need to know. Believe me I would have been grateful for a bit more information, just so I knew what I was letting myself in for.

I also noticed that you live in Manchester. I actually used the Manchester AFCO and to be honest they didnt have a clue as to what the role involved, other than what is on the trade information leaflet, but to be fair there is only about 40 of us qualified in the RAF.
Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Dominic

Re: Environmental Health Technician

Post by Dominic »

djdenyer wrote:Hi,

Just applied for the RAF as a WSOP, I fancy as my second choice being an Environmental Health Technician? What's it like? Any EHTs on the board could give us info it would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Danny D :wink:
I too looked at this job but now I'm looking at others since I realised I could be going around an airbase telling people it wasn't safe to do this or do that due to section 14, paragraph 12.....etc, etc.... :sleeping: :roll:
Dawnie

Post by Dawnie »

Thanks for your misinformed pearls of wisdom there dominic, The next time Im called out to an aircraft crash and have to trawl the crash site and come across dead pilot/nav/aircrew personal effects, I will try to remember how :sleeping: boring and :roll: pointless you think my job is.
Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Well I didn't think about that ever happening, but how much of your job would involve going through burnt out wrecks?
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Dealing with alcoholics......a common task.
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

LOL Too right :lol:
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Don't think the guys in the AFCO at Manchester have a clue about anything to be fair, they certainly knew nothing about WSOps when I was looking at applying, which was why I ended up going to Preston instead. Much more sense out of the lads behind the desk there!

I would say go WSOp, but then I'm biased cos I am one, nothing at all against EHTs. It's probably a really good job, and you'd certainly have career options when you'd done your time in uniform.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours