Share This Page:

AACC

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
browndog01

AACC

Post by browndog01 »

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you lads have seen TA bods training with the RMR to do the AACC. I know that specific units do a TA version of the commando course, but i dont know how possible it is for individuals from the TA to access this course, and what sort of support is available to prepare them for the course.
Artist

Post by Artist »

I think you will find that the AACC is only for specific units in the TA. Artillery, Engineers and I think some RLC bods.

Artist
browndog01

Post by browndog01 »

Oh right, thanks for letting me know tho.

Where do the medical bods for 3 commando brigade come from? Are they all navy?
Artist

Post by Artist »

They were all Navy a few years ago. So I presume they still are.

Artist
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

There are Royal marines medical assistants but it's not a huge branch and has a huge waiting list, 2 years i think
Only 3% of applicants to the Royal Marines earn the right to wear the green beret.
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

and it ewas only created becuase there weren't enough matelot MAs coming through and passing the commando course
Doc

Post by Doc »

29 and 59 Commando have RAMC medics, aswell as their respective TA units. There is also a billet for a RAMC Sgt at Med Sqn Cdo Logs.

The TA will probably let you do the TA AACC, if they dont throw teddy out of pram and threaten to leave and then they will. Seems that how things are done in TA land.

The Medical Bods for the RM are mainly RN, and the heirachy is all RN, RM MA's are in some slots. Like Hants said not enough Matelots were doing the course, also not enough matelots were volunteering for service with the Corps, mainly due to money and better conditions of service in other parts of the Naval Medical land. When I was in the sub medics were 80% overmanned and the Cdo Medics were 65% undermanned.
browndog01

Post by browndog01 »

I will certainly try the dummy spitting approach if it doesnt look like im getting anywhere, thanks for the tip!

Im actually a nurse rather than a cmt, do you think that it would make it more or less likely that i would get on the course? I believe that there is a medical squadron with 3 commando, so i presume the nurses are navy as with the MAs.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The medical squadron isnt manned by nurses full time , only MA's of various ranks.

When the squadron deploys then they are reinforced by SST's (Surgical support teams) that are manned by Doctors and Nurses drawn from Derriford and Haslar Hospitals (all RN).

The only Unit that has RN Nurses fulltime is CTCRM. Everything else is RN/RM MA's and Medical Officers.

Your probably better looking at the CMT route, or airborne route as a nurse, but alas I have no idea of their setup.

If your a TA nurse then your chances of doing the AACC as a nurse are slim and serving with the brigade wether TA or Reg are slimmer to non-exsistant. CMT's arent bad, and it will be mainly trauma training that. lets face it, alot of nurses lack. could be a good mix Civvy Nurse and TA CMT.
browndog01

Post by browndog01 »

thanks for the advice doc. ill give thought to both of the routes you've suggested.