Share This Page:

Looking to join RN in Jan - few questions

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Simba

Looking to join RN in Jan - few questions

Post by Simba »

Hi guys,

Another pesky newbie here with more than likely tedious questions whom I am sure you are all delighted to see.... :snipersmile:

I've had a look around the forum and there are a few questions which I can't find the answer to so your help would be appreciated.

Just a quick run down on my circumstances, I was originally going to apply for WSO in the RAF however I never had two A levels as I went straight into employment from school (gained 5 GCSE's 2 NVQ's and several other lower grade qualifications). I'm currently working towards a Private Pilot Licence and I'm confident I could do the role but it was the academic qualifications which prevented me from applying as I never went into further education. I was torn between going back to college to do two A levels or look for another suitable job and I found the RN Aircrew which seems very appealing and I have all the qualifications and likely experience to put me in with a good shot at it.

Firstly, in regards to time away from home would I be correct in thinking that the RN is the longest duration in comparison to the RAF? I'm just trying to get everything in order in relation to girlfriend and family as I believe it's up to 6/7 months at a time? I know this is a very open ended question and rather than the "it would depend on your role" answer, how long have you been away in say the last two years?

I know basic training is fairly isolated and that's fine for me as 10 weeks is really a small price to pay for a career but after that, during training and tours how much free time would one get to return home for weekends? as I would presume being on a ship would prevent weekend trips home, unless you are an exception swimmer of course.

Lastly, it would be great to hear from someone who is serving (or has) as aircrew for RN as I know that it's very unlikely to change jobs (other than promotions) in the RN so it would pay to pick a position to stick with.

Have a good one.
Firstmate

Re: Looking to join RN in Jan - few questions

Post by Firstmate »

Oh dear. Firstly, when you join the navy they are looking for commitment. You don't seem to be commited at the moment as you are only concerned about how much time you will be able to see family and girlfriend, which is understandable. Don't assume that you have the qualities that they are looking for, unless you have inside information, which I doubt. You are correct in saying that "it would depend on your role" and there is no typical two years (or days/months for that matter).

Basic training for ratings is 10 weeks. If you are applying for officer (and successful) your training is considerably longer.

I would suggest that you try asking some of your questions on another forum called Rum Ration (google it) as there are plenty of serving and ex RN members who will be able to enlighten you. Standby for some flack, but there is a plethora of information about the navy in general and branch specific also. :D :D
Yer tiz