Share This Page:

Eyesight for Pilots

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
MatthewV

Eyesight for Pilots

Post by MatthewV »

In the navy..

I've seen requirements on AOP.org.uk and emailed them. Apparently they said that they get the standards directly from the forces so they must be true?

So what standard of eyesight do I need to be a pilot - and what is the difference between aircrew and a pilot?

Thanks.
Tab

Re: Eyesight for Pilots

Post by Tab »

Everything would need to be 100% including your eyes
MatthewV

Post by MatthewV »

Well how come the AOP says otherwise, when it has come directly from the forces?

Please answer fully rather than just a brief sentence.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

No need to get snippy with the moderators...

What the minimum requirements are, and what you would actually need to get in, are two completely different things given the current recruitment situation.

20/20 is about the only answer you should be aiming for.

The difference between pilots and aircrew? The pilots get a better view...
Aircrew tend to be the ones down the back of the aircraft doing all the work (depending on aircraft type obviously...)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

The simple answer is that they will chose only the very best people to spend millions on to train as pilots. To find out if I am correct or not just apply and se what happens
Star_Sailor

Post by Star_Sailor »

MatthewV wrote:In the navy..

I've seen requirements on AOP.org.uk and emailed them. Apparently they said that they get the standards directly from the forces so they must be true?

So what standard of eyesight do I need to be a pilot - and what is the difference between aircrew and a pilot?

Thanks.
Hi there Buddy

I recently (June) had my eyesight tested for aircrew within the Navy and this is what i had done.

1. The old close one eye and try and read the smallest lettering you can from a distance, then repeat it for the other eye.
2. Even if you nail that, the doc will still put lens infront of your eyes just to make sure.(dont worry if your eyes get better though, my left eye did slightly but it wasnt enough to fail the eye test.)
3. Do the same as the above but this time use a selection of green and red shapes.
4. Stick some massive screen infront of your eyes and the doc can see right in behind the eyes to see if there are any developing problems.
5. If you do ok on all of that you then have a test where you put your head in a big white bowl and rest your chin in the middle. You then focus on a dot directly infront of you. Once focused a series of really tiny leds will light up around you in the bowl and you have to press a button which they place in your hands. This test will make sure you are aware of whats happening around you while focusing on one point.

I hope this helps. I cant remember the correct names of all the tests. Im not a doctor. But its nothing to worry about. As far as i can make out, aircrew and pilot eyesight testing has to be the same. But im not 100% on that. Maybe someone in the trade can help you out there.

Good luck Buddy
xuiton

Post by xuiton »

Although the RAF you need 20/20 vision uncorrected, according to the forces standard thing it differs for the Navy and Army.

I don't understand what 20/60 means but apparently if your eyes are like this you can still fly.

Can someone explain mine to me

My left is -0.75 while my right eye is -0.25 SPH, what does that mean compared to 20/60 or whatever.