Share This Page:

kit muster

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
ddw02

kit muster

Post by ddw02 »

just a thought how oftens kit muster at raleigh is it every day or a couple a week ?
Bovie

Post by Bovie »

Hurm.. They Might just supprise you.. But i think they cheak everyday (since your wearing the stuff) And do a formal one 4th week i think. Not Too sure. I think that's what was on the video
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Full kit muster everyday? That would be abit of a pain in the ass to be honest lol. When I was in RM training full kit muster meant bringing all your kit over to the drill shed or duty jnco. We only got them as punishments, I doubt you'll have one everyday in the Navy, unless you're a really bad sailor boy!! :D
Bovie

Post by Bovie »

Someone just told me.. Week 5!
HamiltonBA

Post by HamiltonBA »

week 5 is your DO kit muster is easy however if you piss instructors off they can give you a kit muster at anytime.

They are not bad dont worry about it basic training is not as bad as your hear its very easy.
[img]http://www.fleetofhonour.com/images/mines.jpg[/img]
HamiltonBA

Post by HamiltonBA »

you have to clean everyday and do evening rounds... and your daily inspection... which means everyday your kit must be clean dry and a4 and your shoes must be polished and cleaned on the soles and yes that is EVERY day and if you keep getting picked up on it you get a kit muster... but this new phase 1 training is different from my old course they focus more on team building but be prepared for it.
[img]http://www.fleetofhonour.com/images/mines.jpg[/img]
Jammy

Post by Jammy »

Think you do 3

Po's Cpo's & DO's Kitmusters the cpo's i think entitles you to a W/E on Shore
[b][i][u] Ex CPO. (Ops) .TS .SM Jammy Hartley[/u][/i][/b]

[b][i][u]Drafts[/u][/i][/b]

[b] All Arms Commando Course , Dolpin Tank Team , SPAG , HMS Splendid , HMS Sovereign,HMS Trafalgar, HMS Triumph, RNAS Portland[/b]
Powder monkey

Post by Powder monkey »

The PO's kit muster is in week 4. This is basically a dress rehersal for your chiefs kit muster. Although it is not official, make sure you listen carefully to everything your PO tells you, because when the chief inspects your kit in week 5 he will not hessitate to fail you on a minor pick up point and believe me, it makes life so much easier to pass the first time.

You only have a DO's kit muster if you fail your chiefs kit muster twice.
This post was typed up in front of a live studio audience at pinewood studios England.
Bovie

Post by Bovie »

Oh, must be different in pellow, we have the DO (leutenant) come around and pull it apart. You get 3 chance's, after 3 you get backclassed. PO's for me was in week 3 and it doesnt matter if you fail that, its just to help you.

Bovie
Powder monkey

Post by Powder monkey »

Bovie wrote:Oh, must be different in pellow, we have the DO (leutenant) come around and pull it apart. You get 3 chance's, after 3 you get backclassed. PO's for me was in week 3 and it doesnt matter if you fail that, its just to help you.

Bovie
Chief or DO there is not much difference. They will both check your kit out equally well and they wont miss a speck of dust.

When preparing for your kit muster, irrespective of who is conducting it, you absolutely must do the following things.

1. All of your kit must be clean. However, sometimes during the course of your training your clothes will take on a few stains, such as oil, which are impossible to remove. Aslong as a stain that can't be removed is directly related to a part of your training then it will be classed as a working stain and ignored. A stain that can't be removed but is not related to your training i.e you were clumsy and dropped food all down your No3 shirt leaving it with stains Gordon Ramsy would get a hardon over will be not be ignored and you will fail your kit muster. If you're ever in doubt ask your PO or just by a new shirt, they're not that expensive.

*Make sure the collars of your shirts are given a good once over with a vanish bar. It will remove that grey smear that appears over time.**

**Another thing to remember is to clean your pockets. You may think just because they are out of sight that they are out of mind. Well, lofty, they are not and they will come back to haunt you if you ignore them. Get right into the seams because dirty pockets IMO are the single biggest cause of kit of kit muster failiures.**

***Dont forget to work hard on cleaning your footwear. A toothbrush is essential for boot cleaning. Take out your boot laces and clean out the space inside with your toothbrush and make absolutely sure all the little bits of dirt are removed. Then use a toothbrush to clean the soles of your boots. It helps to use 1001. Make sure the gaps between the grips are clean. Then clean the sides, the back and the front of the boot. When youre confident, check it then double check it and then take it to your class leader and ask him to check it.***

Do the same for your Hi-Tecs and shoes.

When your shoes are inspected they must be bulled to a high standard, your boots however do not have to be bulled, but do it anyway if you have time.**

****Dont forget to clean your cup****

*****Also make sure your civi trainers are given a quick clean - not thorough just a once over*****

2. All kit must be folded to A4. Aslong as when you put your A4 board over your folded kit you can't see it, or you can only see the flaps that your epaulettes slide on to then you will be ok. Generally aslong as it is A4 it will pass. It dosent matter whether the buttons are slightly to the left or to the right, or that it dosent look to good. But if you do put in the extra effort to get each piece of kit looking a million dollars then you will make a friend in whoever is inspecting your kit, and a friend in a high place is always usefull.

3. No kit should be damp. Never put a piece of kit in your locker and expect it to be dry the next morning.

4. All kit must be clearly marked. The kit marking room in Ganges block is open on tuesdays and fridays, make good use of it.

You can also buy overpriced kit marking tags from the Spa as a last resort. Only use them for marking kit that has had its stamp rubbed off during washing, they will fall of themselves very quickly so do not rely on them to protect you from thieves.

5. Following on from number 4, if you are found to have any kit that has somebody else name on it then you will fail instantly. So be carefull what you get out of the scran bag ey?

6. Any missing kit is an instant fail. Make sure you have all your socks etc a few days before your kit muster. It would be a real mouthfall of shit juice to fail solely because of a missing thick black sock etc.

If you do everything I have detailed then you will pass, if you dont put in the effort and cut corners then you will find yourself redoing it the following week when you should be studying for your seamanship exam (which is hard).
This post was typed up in front of a live studio audience at pinewood studios England.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Do the RN still wear the drill boots with the metal horseshoes on the heels?

When I did Raleigh, I had two pairs. One pair that I had already bought prior to Raleigh which was bulled up. Used that pair solely for kit inspections and the passing out parade. Saved myself a lot of grief by not having to sit in night after night bulling boots when I could concentrate on other things, ie Wrens.
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

When I did Raleigh start of 2003, you where issued one set of Boots(which i threw away In Fas)
Never had ones with the metal Heals, only drill instructors had them, to try and keep Sailors in step :P
A week before passing out, you where issued a second pair of "Drill" boots which had been bulled up by the sickie`s in Stonehouse(how kind of them)
Colin

Post by Colin »

I can't believe that they have done away with the 'drill boots'. They used to make you sound excellent when on the parade ground. Mind you, they were a bitch when marching downhill or in the wet. I had these up until I was made redundant in 1994. They did'nt have a toecap like 'ammo boots' but they still had the heels.
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

I know at HMS Collingwood during my part 2 training, I took upon myself to add some steel heals to my shoes :P Certainly sounded good when my class(of 5) Marched into Kelly Squadron for morning muster :P
Colin

Post by Colin »

So what boots are the RN issued with now.

We were issued with shoes (black), Drill boots with metal horseshoes/toe tips and steaming bats.