Share This Page:

kit muster

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

We get the black shoes, steaming bats....which are at the 4th addition after 2 years(change of suppliers 4 times).....and boots(with being a submariner most of us throw away), with no steel heal, just rubber soals...
Colin

Post by Colin »

Submariner eh!

I knew a submariner who used to get seasick on them (I believe it was while it was on the surface) and whilst he was in his cot, if he was sick, used to throw up in his steaming bats. He said that it was a lot quicker and easier to clean his bats than the floor.
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

I know on the surface, submarines are awful, I was out on patrol in march there. On the surface, it was terrible, I had to lie down while on watch, just to stop throwing up, once diving, much better. And yes, Steaming bats are alot easier to clean than the carpet, would make an interesting project for Captains Rounds!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Whilst sailing back to Pompey after 2 weeks in the Western approaches and also the morning after the Sod's Opera it was noticed that there was a huge puke stain down the side of the bridge wing. It turned out to be one of the three Canadian Wren Officers offending matter. It was only noticed when we got to Horsehoe Sand Fort and the skipper went balistic and all hands had to turn out to quickly clean it off before the Admirals and other Captains saw it. Oh we laughed!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Im sure you did at the time......Well, terms Bridge Wing, and Sod opera mean nothing to me. There not done(in my line of work anyway) and WRENs, are`nt those the things with the wide arses? :P
Colin

Post by Colin »

Please don't say that the Sod's Opera has gone as well! It's the only time that you can take the Piss out of the Officer's and get away with it, including the Skipper.

PS: Do they still call them WRENS? I suppose that's changed as well!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Never had a sod opera since the traditional one back in the end of week 3. Its not apart of on board life. And as a Submariner, we dont get to see many WRENS :P apart from out at night if you get what Im saying
Colin

Post by Colin »

Is it just submariners that don't have Sod's Operas?
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

No idea, its just a thing I have`nt heard about so seen in Years. No idea if anyone can be bothered to do it anymore.
(Cut backs=More work)
Colin

Post by Colin »

I expect the Truth is, that the Navy has all gone Politically Correct, what with 'Splits' (WRENS) serving on-board ships. No offence!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

If Politically correct is the current state of play. The Navy is super Politically correct. (Almost cant punish people as i may upset them)
Colin

Post by Colin »

What do you mean 'can't punish the men anymore'.

No 'Defaulters', No RNDQ's.

What is happening to the RN?
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Defaulters, ive heard that term, not sure what it is, RNDQ`s, another thing Im not sure of. Before long, it wont be a Navy, it will be a Sailing Club.
I know one of the Moto`s that was brandished around when my Boat was in Refit. "That The Navy and DML want to work together in a Blame free environment to ensure that the Projects are completed in a timely and cost effective way" (My Boat is 8 months late in being finished) Such buzz words as above are rife!
Colin

Post by Colin »

As you know the 'Skipper' whilst at sea has a lot of power, ie: Judge, Jury, Executioner and on small boats/ships is also the 'Doctor'. Remember, the Captain upholds 'The Articles of War' and has a lot more power than their counterparts in the Army and RAF.

'Requestmen and Defaulters' was a formal process whereby you went before the Captain and XO. The Regulating PO or Coxwain was also present. Also for 'defaulters' the 'Seamans friend' was there to defend you.

Requestmen - Promotion, Transfers, Awards, etc.
Defaulters - This was when you were a 'bad boy'. You were offered the choice of Captain's punishment or a Courts Martial. Captains punishment was usually far more lenient, ie: A fine of a couple of days pay, loss of priviledges, etc.
Colin

Post by Colin »

RNDQ's

Royal Navy Detention Quarters - Run by the Regulating Branch. (Good place to get your kit in order).