Share This Page:

Conditional Pass Stuck In Limbo. Need advice.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Dunndelion

Conditional Pass Stuck In Limbo. Need advice.

Post by Dunndelion »

Warning this will be a long one, I will try and keep it as short as possible. TL;DR at the bottom.

In January 2015 I joined the army with the hopes of becoming a member of the Parachute Regiment. Sadly due to a severe injury I lost my spot in a training platoon and after a significant period of time was finally medically discharged (MD). I left the platoon in good standing with the staff and they said as long as I got the injury fixed and I was fit enough I would be welcome to try again in 8 months. The medical staff involved with my MD echoed this sentiment.

During this period my passion for the regiment only intensified and I wanted it more than ever. So shortly after my MD I sorted out the surgery required during the fall/winter of 2015. From this time till August 2016 I went from atrophied legs to a decent base fitness level. I applied but it got rejected as it was too soon according to the medical staff of the NRC. (Looking back now I agree with this decision). Although disheartened the passion was still there and I now had till August 2017 to get my self in the best physical and mental condition I could.

August 2017 I apply again with success. The medical team deliberated upon it and I was finally allowed to go to selection. By this time I have been getting sub 9min 1.5mile, even was tabbing 10miles in under 1H:50 with 38lbs. I took my training so seriously to leave no doubt in my mind I was ready for a second attempt.

November 2017 I go to selection and on physical tests finished 1st out of the group of 30 plus and completed the BARB/ACT with a really high score. The end interview was positive. I feel I gave it my all and it paid off. However I was told my pass was conditional due to the injury/surgery from 2015. There was/IS a deferral atop of my name. I asked the officer interviewing me will this stop me from going forward. He said although he cant be 100% he feels my performance at selection will speak highly of me and this deferral will be no more than a Medical Officer having to give a second opinion.

Present/Jan 2018: Since my selection I have called my CSM as I wasn't contacted for feedback after selection. I've been informed she cant give me a grade on selection as she can't do anything with my application until this medical officer gives the yes or no. This has left me in this state of limbo where I don't know if I will be allowed to continue and go to PRAC or even worse, if/when I will get a reply. I've continued with my training as the past 3 years I've focused all my energy on getting a second chance at the maroon beret and right now I'm flapping that the opportunity will be taken away from me or I am to be left in the dark for a long period of time.

TL'DR I got a conditional pass at selection. The condition being the medical staff at the recruiting centre say yes/no. I haven't heard anything in a little over a month with no idea when I may get a reply.

Has anyone got any similar experiences to this and if so how did it end up?

Any advice from people with insight into the recruiting/medical side of things?

Advice from members of the Parachute Regiment will also be massively appreciated.

Thanks for your time and any replies.

Regards

Dunndelion
DomYeatman

Re: Conditional Pass Stuck In Limbo. Need advice.

Post by DomYeatman »

Hi there,
I am a reporter for Metro Newspaper and I'm following up claims that potential recruits are being unfairly rejected on medical grounds.
Are you up for a chat?
Dominic Yeatman - 020 3615 0972
Dunndelion

Re: Conditional Pass Stuck In Limbo. Need advice.

Post by Dunndelion »

DomYeatman wrote: Tue 23 Jan, 2018 2:42 pm Hi there,
I am a reporter for Metro Newspaper and I'm following up claims that potential recruits are being unfairly rejected on medical grounds.
Are you up for a chat?
Dominic Yeatman - 020 3615 0972
Hello Dominic, I may not be suitable for this right now as I've not been rejected. I'm waiting for the medical team who are part of the recruiting process to make a decision on my case so I can further my application.