Share This Page:

Officer Entry Fitness Requirements

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Andy160791

Officer Entry Fitness Requirements

Post by Andy160791 »

Hi all, I'm applying to join the army as an officer and I've been trying to find out what the fitness requirements are. I know the push ups/sit ups but am struggling to find the required time for the 2.4km run. I'm pretty certain the PJFT (treadmill run) is 10:30, but after that I'm unsure. I'm consistently running the distance outside in around 11 minutes. Any advice to get the down to below 10 minutes?
Also just another quick query, on the push up test are you allowed to drop to your knees for a rest and then carry on?

Cheers
Andy
Tab

Re: Officer Entry Fitness Requirements

Post by Tab »

I think you will find it is the same as soldier. You can't lead if you can't keep up.
Andy160791

Post by Andy160791 »

Yeah I know officers have to be tougher the problem is I've found different information saying different things, everything ranging from 9:30 all the way up to 12:45. I'm running at around 11:00 and I've only really been properly running for a couple of weeks so dropping it shouldn't be too difficult.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Resting position for push ups is with the elbows locked out - as soon as any part of your body touches the floor the test is over, so whatever you do don't drop to your knees!

To improve your run time, try sprint intervals. Lamp posts are a pretty good marker to use if you're road running...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Andy160791

Post by Andy160791 »

Thanks a lot for that all I can do is just keep working and eventually the numbers will increase. Do you do the run in boots or trainers?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Well I'm RAF, so we do it in trainers; we don't have a fitness test that involves boots.
I'd imagine your PJFT would be trainers as they wouldn't have issued you your boots at that point...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours