Share This Page:

Please check my workout routine?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
AKKY123

Please check my workout routine?

Post by AKKY123 »

Hi, I'm 15 (16 next month) and I want to join either the Royal marines or the Parachute regiment as an officer when I'm 18.
I've just started to run everyday and I can do a mile every 12 minutes, hopefully I can do 1.5 mile in 8-9 minutes when I'm 18. Do you think that's possible?

Monday: Running for 3 miles
Full body workout/Compound exercises

Tuesday: Running for 3 miles
Rowing for 30 minutes
Swimming – 10 lengths of freestyle
10 lengths of breaststroke

Wednesday: Rowing for 30 minutes

Thursday: Running for 3 miles
Rowing for 30 minutes

Friday: Bergen workout

Saturday: Swimming – 10 lengths of breaststroke
10 lengths of freestyle
Rowing for 40 minutes

Sunday: Rest day

I'm going to be starting this workout in a few weeks time, when I'm 16. I'll be taking 30g of whey protein after the workout and an energy supplement before my workout.

After a few months of working out I'll jog with a bergen on my back, I'll do this every week.

Do you think its possible to get fit for the RM or the Paras in two years?

Do you think I'm doing too much?

I just want to beat the fitness tests with good times.

Thanks, Akshay.
Tab

Re: Please check my workout routine?

Post by Tab »

You have a couple of years to go yet, just keep fit and enjoy life
MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

Lose the energy supplement. I know that they help but you don't get energy supplements in training so you might aswell get used to working hard without one. You also don't want to become reliant on them. And don't jog with a bergen on your back, you are asking to get injured, rather be safe. As Tab said: You have a long time to go, just get involved in sports and stay healthy.

Cheers
It is not my war. I do not agree with it but it is my duty to protect and serve the man next to me whose war it is and who does agree with it. I will die for this man. And one day, when it is my war that needs to be fought and when only I agree with it, he will be there for me, ready to die by my side.
AKKY123

Post by AKKY123 »

Yeah I was thinking about leaving the energy supplement, I don't want to be reliant on it. I'll march with a bergen then it would be much safer, right?

I do have a couple of years left but I just want to be the best I can be, I'm seeing results already as I can run faster and further than ever. I really want to ace the fitness tests so I can be in the best regiment, be a great officer etc. The only problem is my diet. I can't eat healthy because my parents buy the food, I tried whole wheat bread and it tasted horrible! On top of that I have 4 brothers and my family are really using all we've got, so any other expenses would be a bug burden.

I've made a few changes though, I now drink water and I have a healthy breakfast however I still eat chocolate everyday.

Do you think I'll be fit enough to ace the tests in two years?

The other thing I'm worried about is the actual tests at Pcoy and Sandhurst, reading about it is kind of scaring me but it motivates me at the same time. How will it work though? Will I go to Sandhurst then do P coy?

Also will my diet hinder my performance? I'm seeing results already though. I would love to be healthy and fit at the same time, but its not possible for me so I can only be fit.
MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

Marching with a bergen is fine, maybe once a week.

Keep up the good work. Just remember that the longer you have to train the longer you also have to get injured before you even apply to the regiments. That's why I don't recommend pushing yourself too hard at your age. Just bare that in mind.
There is no reason why you can't say "no" to some chocolate, eat three normal sized and balanced meals a day, nothing special or sweet is necessary. Keep drinking the water. Whether or not you can ace the tests comes down to you and your motivation, if you want to do it - you can. Hell, when I wanted to get fit I managed to run my 1.5 miler in 8:30min, my 3 miler in 19:12min and I ran up the highest mountain in South Africa... with asthma. You can do it man, don't regret not trying your VERY best!

You will go to Sandhurst (if you are lucky enough to be selected) and then in the third term of the training there you will choose a regiment to train for.
Getting your diet right will help BUT if you cant get your diet right and you can only train then train as hard as possible. The military will end up giving you a decent diet once you arrive in training, imagine the possibilities then.

You need a more positive attitude, give it all you've got!
It is not my war. I do not agree with it but it is my duty to protect and serve the man next to me whose war it is and who does agree with it. I will die for this man. And one day, when it is my war that needs to be fought and when only I agree with it, he will be there for me, ready to die by my side.
AKKY123

Post by AKKY123 »

MustGetFit wrote:Marching with a bergen is fine, maybe once a week.

Keep up the good work. Just remember that the longer you have to train the longer you also have to get injured before you even apply to the regiments. That's why I don't recommend pushing yourself too hard at your age. Just bare that in mind.
There is no reason why you can't say "no" to some chocolate, eat three normal sized and balanced meals a day, nothing special or sweet is necessary. Keep drinking the water. Whether or not you can ace the tests comes down to you and your motivation, if you want to do it - you can. Hell, when I wanted to get fit I managed to run my 1.5 miler in 8:30min, my 3 miler in 19:12min and I ran up the highest mountain in South Africa... with asthma. You can do it man, don't regret not trying your VERY best!

You will go to Sandhurst (if you are lucky enough to be selected) and then in the third term of the training there you will choose a regiment to train for.
Getting your diet right will help BUT if you cant get your diet right and you can only train then train as hard as possible. The military will end up giving you a decent diet once you arrive in training, imagine the possibilities then.

You need a more positive attitude, give it all you've got!
Doing all of that with asthma is inspiring, I'll always try my best. Its just that I was worried because people say "you can't be fit without a good diet", but I guess they're wrong. I'm really motivated to train for this, I was just "put down" for a while but I'll carry on.

If I'm ever down I'll recall to this, if you don't mind. :) I'll train as hard as I can and my workout should definitely get me into shape.

What regiment did you join?

Thanks, Akshay. :)