Share This Page:

ADSC Discussions

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Derby 1992

Re: ADSC Discussions

Post by Derby 1992 »

Cheers, the team tasks is the only thing I'm a bit worried about, and of course the run.
zypher

Post by zypher »

Yeah I'm worried about the team tasks to but i am just going to get stuck in. What is your running time? and what you going for in the army mate?
ADSC - GLencorse - 24th August

1ST choice - Royal Fusiliers

2ND choice - The Rifles

Run time - 09:13
Derby 1992

Post by Derby 1992 »

The last run time I got was 10:11 which was 30 seconds quicker than my previous run time, so aiming for under 10 minutes at ADSC. Saying that I did go on holiday for a week about a month back so I think it will be around the same time.

I'm going for General Fitter in the Royal Engineers, and you?
zypher

Post by zypher »

I'm going for the Royal Fusiliers as my first and the Rifles as my second, managed to get my run time down to 09:13 just 2 days ago i'm a bit chuffed like, any ways good luck mate!
ADSC - GLencorse - 24th August

1ST choice - Royal Fusiliers

2ND choice - The Rifles

Run time - 09:13
souman

Post by souman »

Hi all,

My first choice is Royal regiment of Fusiliers,2nd Battalion and my second choice is the riffles. I haven's started my application yet, but I am pretty informed about many things. I just wanted to ask about the army eye standards - what are they? I dont have any problems with my eyes, but I have decided to go to Uni first.

Another question - how long does it take from the application to the end of basic training on average? I know that it depends from job to job and from person to person, but i would like some rough estimate so that i can budged my time :)

Just for general info, I run 1.5m for 11:59, which i see is extreemly poor. I will improve it as the time passes so i dont have any worries. my target is bellow 10min(need a lot of work)

I see that zypher has the same choices. i would appreciate more info from you as you go along you app process :) 10x mates
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

souman wrote:I just wanted to ask about the army eye standards - what are they? I dont have any problems with my eyes
If you don't have problems with your eyes then there wouldn't be a problem with that barring your entry.

Broadly speaking as long as your eyesight is correctable with glasses or contact lenses then you should be fine. The only exception might be for pilot training, although you don't mention any desire to do this. For those with glasses, you might be advised to try and get familiar with wearing contacts (not compulsory). Not everyone likes poking about with their eyeballs and some get a bit squeamish about putting the things in/out. But there's loads of situations where having contacts would save you effort (depending on how blind you are). Especially phys. I also believe that if you join one of the Guards Regiments you cannot wear glasses while doing formal drill... Trooping the Colour and other ceremonial duties cannot be disrupted by having some mong having his glasses slipping off his nose....

(I only say this as my lad is in the process of joining up and I've taken him to Specsavers to get contacts but he just can't get his head around poking his eyeball....) (fek knows what his reaction would be to doing something REALLY scary!!)
koo

Post by koo »

Hi everyone
I am about to begin my application for Kings Troop.
I'm 25 and very nervous but excited.

Any Kings Troop experience you can share? :)
x
rp5377

Post by rp5377 »

Hi I am due to go to Bassingbourn on the 28th of June and Pirbright for the ADSC on the 14th July. I am confident with the fitness aspects and the team building exercises but I am not sure as to the sort of questions I will be asked in the interview. Will it be similar to my interviews at the AFCO or will it be drastically different. Any help would be appreciated.
JediMind

Post by JediMind »

rp5377 wrote:Hi I am due to go to Bassingbourn on the 28th of June and Pirbright for the ADSC on the 14th July. I am confident with the fitness aspects and the team building exercises but I am not sure as to the sort of questions I will be asked in the interview. Will it be similar to my interviews at the AFCO or will it be drastically different. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe you need to know the following;

where you do phase 1 and 2
general points on your job role
any familiy military background
general knowlede on current affairs
general knowledge of regiment history
the job contract you will sign with the army

Plus some information about your family life, pass times etc. which shouldnt be too hard. Just make sure you know the diffrent between open and closed questions i guess, go into as much detail as possible. This is what ive revised anyway, i have selection at litchfield on tuesday, cant wait to get stuck in ;)
rp5377

Post by rp5377 »

thank you for the information. I know all about my job choice, training and where i will be doing training. I am uptodate with current military affairs and okish on general current affairs. Going to Bassinbourn on Tuesday almost completely blind, not sure what the itinery is for the pre adsc so am slightly nervous, that combined with the fact that i smashed my knee into the stair bannister when moving house lol. Do you know what the itinery is for pre adsc.

Many thanks
JediMind

Post by JediMind »

rp5377 wrote:thank you for the information. I know all about my job choice, training and where i will be doing training. I am uptodate with current military affairs and okish on general current affairs. Going to Bassinbourn on Tuesday almost completely blind, not sure what the itinery is for the pre adsc so am slightly nervous, that combined with the fact that i smashed my knee into the stair bannister when moving house lol. Do you know what the itinery is for pre adsc.

Many thanks
How did you get on at bassingbourn mate?
SteveAsh

Post by SteveAsh »

anyone have their adsc at pirbright on the 22nd august?
rp5377

Post by rp5377 »

JediMind wrote:
rp5377 wrote:thank you for the information. I know all about my job choice, training and where i will be doing training. I am uptodate with current military affairs and okish on general current affairs. Going to Bassinbourn on Tuesday almost completely blind, not sure what the itinery is for the pre adsc so am slightly nervous, that combined with the fact that i smashed my knee into the stair bannister when moving house lol. Do you know what the itinery is for pre adsc.

Many thanks
How did you get on at bassingbourn mate?
Hello Mate
Somehow managed to pass pre adsc. The Jerry can test was fairly routine only two people failed it. Push ups i did 36, sit ups were a catastrophe, my whole body gave out at 30 and as a result only managed 2 heaves (shocking) Fortunately though i got full marks on the military lesson and ran in 10.30. Hoping to get my time down for ADSC as i ran it in tracksuit trousers and fashion trainers lol. Am getting the right gear today. Are they still doing push ups and sit ups at adsc or is it the static machines that i read about. Am bricking it to be honest, worried about the ice breaker and the final interview. I really want this and dont want to be deferred. I am at adsc in two days, any advice?
JediMind

Post by JediMind »

I didnt do any press up's or sit up's which i was marked on at ADSC, we did a PT lesson but it was fairly routine, abit of jogging, sit ups, press ups and afew team games i actually enjoyed it an honistly im not the fittest of people.
I was absolutly bricking it for my interview, sat in the room waiting to be called in i thought i was going to have a heart attack haha, but aslong as you know your job choices, where you will be stationed and your contract (how long you sign for, how long you have to DAOR etc) you'll be fine.. Just look your interviewer dead in the eye, dress smart, be confident, speak well and youll be sweet as the virgin marys cherry. Infact i remember i was that nervous i had to wipe the sweat off my hand onto my trousers before i shook the womans hand :lol:..
I passed with a C which had gave me a place at catterick on the 7th of august, i got a 9.30 run time, 7/8 pull ups, completed the static lifts and jerry can walk with ease.. if you can do the jerry can you wont fail on the static lifts.
But yeh i was brickin it, BAD, asked everyone i could for advice before i went but when i got there it wasnt so bad (even though i didnt believe my mates who told me that in the first place).. just remember its a ALL a job intervew and you are being watched always.
At the Icebreaker we got split into groups, i had a speech i was planning to give but the fella made me read the headings off a board (the headings you get on your pre-ADSC sheet for your icebreaker) so my plan to do the speech i memorized went out the window and i just improvised it, your talking about yourself - nothing more, so its not too hard.. just dont say you go into a fake story like you judo 5 times a week and do competitions because the corpral isnt stupid an if he wer to ask you what belt you are etc, your in shit street.

Let me know how you get on though mate an if you have any questions, im fairly fresh off ADSC i came back the beginin of the month.
P.s you do your heaves first so dnot worry about being fatigued for them.
rp5377

Post by rp5377 »

JediMind wrote:I didnt do any press up's or sit up's which i was marked on at ADSC, we did a PT lesson but it was fairly routine, abit of jogging, sit ups, press ups and afew team games i actually enjoyed it an honistly im not the fittest of people.
I was absolutly bricking it for my interview, sat in the room waiting to be called in i thought i was going to have a heart attack haha, but aslong as you know your job choices, where you will be stationed and your contract (how long you sign for, how long you have to DAOR etc) you'll be fine.. Just look your interviewer dead in the eye, dress smart, be confident, speak well and youll be sweet as the virgin marys cherry. Infact i remember i was that nervous i had to wipe the sweat off my hand onto my trousers before i shook the womans hand :lol:..
I passed with a C which had gave me a place at catterick on the 7th of august, i got a 9.30 run time, 7/8 pull ups, completed the static lifts and jerry can walk with ease.. if you can do the jerry can you wont fail on the static lifts.
But yeh i was brickin it, BAD, asked everyone i could for advice before i went but when i got there it wasnt so bad (even though i didnt believe my mates who told me that in the first place).. just remember its a ALL a job intervew and you are being watched always.
At the Icebreaker we got split into groups, i had a speech i was planning to give but the fella made me read the headings off a board (the headings you get on your pre-ADSC sheet for your icebreaker) so my plan to do the speech i memorized went out the window and i just improvised it, your talking about yourself - nothing more, so its not too hard.. just dont say you go into a fake story like you judo 5 times a week and do competitions because the corpral isnt stupid an if he wer to ask you what belt you are etc, your in shit street.

Let me know how you get on though mate an if you have any questions, im fairly fresh off ADSC i came back the beginin of the month.
P.s you do your heaves first so dnot worry about being fatigued for them.

Thats really helpful mate cheers, nice to know that i dont have to have an encyclopedia of army info stored away to pass. Couple of questions, firstly what is DAOR, i know the terms of my contract etc but have never heard of that. How hard was the military test and is it still on the grenade. How comes you got a C if you have such a solid run time and good heaves results? Ive never done 8 in my life!! Hoping to get close to your run time though.