Share This Page:

ADSC Discussions

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
rp5377

Re: ADSC Discussions

Post by rp5377 »

rp5377 wrote:
JediMind wrote:I didnt do any press up's or sit up's which i was marked on at ADSC, we did a PT lesson but it was fairly routine, abit of jogging, sit ups, press ups and afew team games i actually enjoyed it an honistly im not the fittest of people.
I was absolutly bricking it for my interview, sat in the room waiting to be called in i thought i was going to have a heart attack haha, but aslong as you know your job choices, where you will be stationed and your contract (how long you sign for, how long you have to DAOR etc) you'll be fine.. Just look your interviewer dead in the eye, dress smart, be confident, speak well and youll be sweet as the virgin marys cherry. Infact i remember i was that nervous i had to wipe the sweat off my hand onto my trousers before i shook the womans hand :lol:..
I passed with a C which had gave me a place at catterick on the 7th of august, i got a 9.30 run time, 7/8 pull ups, completed the static lifts and jerry can walk with ease.. if you can do the jerry can you wont fail on the static lifts.
But yeh i was brickin it, BAD, asked everyone i could for advice before i went but when i got there it wasnt so bad (even though i didnt believe my mates who told me that in the first place).. just remember its a ALL a job intervew and you are being watched always.
At the Icebreaker we got split into groups, i had a speech i was planning to give but the fella made me read the headings off a board (the headings you get on your pre-ADSC sheet for your icebreaker) so my plan to do the speech i memorized went out the window and i just improvised it, your talking about yourself - nothing more, so its not too hard.. just dont say you go into a fake story like you judo 5 times a week and do competitions because the corpral isnt stupid an if he wer to ask you what belt you are etc, your in shit street.

Let me know how you get on though mate an if you have any questions, im fairly fresh off ADSC i came back the beginin of the month.
P.s you do your heaves first so dnot worry about being fatigued for them.

Thats really helpful mate cheers, nice to know that i dont have to have an encyclopedia of army info stored away to pass. Couple of questions, firstly what is DAOR, i know the terms of my contract etc but have never heard of that. How hard was the military test and is it still on the grenade. How comes you got a C if you have such a solid run time and good heaves results? Ive never done 8 in my life!! Hoping to get close to your run time though.
PS What current affairs questions did they ask you and how much detail did they want you to go into?
JediMind

Post by JediMind »

Well mate your DAOR is your Discharge As Of Right, which is basically the 28 days you have to discharge yourself out of basic training, after that time window has elapsed you need to serve your contract.
The grenade test i really wouldnt worry about, he told us what to write down when we got the presentation about the grenades and then literally as we got sat in our seats for the exam he told us the answers, its a peice of piss. An im not sure why i got a C mate but i was happy with what i recived, like i said the whole time your there you are assesed, maybe they picked up on me f@#k around or something.. Just think to yourself on your run and heaves that THIS is what youve been training for, think of it as the last time youll ever have to do it so you pull out all stops.
About the current affairs, she said "are you aware of current affairs" (directly after the "what do you think the job of a soldier is" question) so i loosley said: "as everyone knows we are currently on operations in afganistan which just as the job of a soldier entails is both a mix of peacekeeping and full on warfare for protection of the civilizans and ultimiate welfare of the state".. They may also be asked something like: "Where will you be deployed", just basically go off the fact the british army can be deployed anywhere in the world to defend and protection other natons etc
One thing that did puzzle me was that she didnt print off my pass certificate infront of me, she just pulled it out of the draw so it maybe that they have them printed out for everyone or for those they already know have passed.. But like i said before, dont worry about it mate, if you put the effort in you will get it. ;)
rp5377

Post by rp5377 »

JediMind wrote:Well mate your DAOR is your Discharge As Of Right, which is basically the 28 days you have to discharge yourself out of basic training, after that time window has elapsed you need to serve your contract.
The grenade test i really wouldnt worry about, he told us what to write down when we got the presentation about the grenades and then literally as we got sat in our seats for the exam he told us the answers, its a peice of piss. An im not sure why i got a C mate but i was happy with what i recived, like i said the whole time your there you are assesed, maybe they picked up on me f@#k around or something.. Just think to yourself on your run and heaves that THIS is what youve been training for, think of it as the last time youll ever have to do it so you pull out all stops.
About the current affairs, she said "are you aware of current affairs" (directly after the "what do you think the job of a soldier is" question) so i loosley said: "as everyone knows we are currently on operations in afganistan which just as the job of a soldier entails is both a mix of peacekeeping and full on warfare for protection of the civilizans and ultimiate welfare of the state".. They may also be asked something like: "Where will you be deployed", just basically go off the fact the british army can be deployed anywhere in the world to defend and protection other natons etc
One thing that did puzzle me was that she didnt print off my pass certificate infront of me, she just pulled it out of the draw so it maybe that they have them printed out for everyone or for those they already know have passed.. But like i said before, dont worry about it mate, if you put the effort in you will get it. ;)

Hello Mate, just got back from adsc absoloutely knackered. Passed with an A overall which im really happy about. Especially as i messed up the heaves and only did 1 lol. Got 9.53 on the run, full marks on the grenade test and 52/55 on the tst. Our team actually set a course record on the team tasks which is good. I got the Asian Major for my interview and he was really decent, asked about my wife and son and the preparations i had made for them while i was away. He then asked about my job choice and after i had chewed his ear off for 15 minutes he smiled and told me to get my breath back. I felt more sick waiting for the interview than i did during the run and i started retching on 3 occasions lol. Grenade practical was a laugh though i felt like i coughed up half the forest afterwards and the PT lesson was a good laugh as well. The major at the end told me that i got through on my overall effort and teamwork which fortunately made up the f@#k up in the heaves. I dont have a start date yet as i have to go for int corp selection first but at least i am at the top of the waiting list. Thanks for all your calming messages mate, it helped a lot.
JediMind

Post by JediMind »

Congratulations pal im made up for ya! Shows what you can acheieve when you put the effort in, have to let me know when you start basic. Im off to catterick in 3 weeks from tomorrow - bring it on! haha, i only got my job so quick because someone backed out of the duke of lancasters intake and he originally had a C so i took his place but with your A you'll be in within no time kidda..
rp5377

Post by rp5377 »

JediMind wrote:Congratulations pal im made up for ya! Shows what you can acheieve when you put the effort in, have to let me know when you start basic. Im off to catterick in 3 weeks from tomorrow - bring it on! haha, i only got my job so quick because someone backed out of the duke of lancasters intake and he originally had a C so i took his place but with your A you'll be in within no time kidda..
Cheer man, good luck when you start at catterick, i'll pass on the advice that the infantry at my adsc were given and that is to just hang in there no matter what, don't show them that they have got to you at any stage or they'll be all over you like a rash. I wont get my date just yet cos i still have another selection weekend to go to lol. If i fail that i get my back up job which is red caps but i think it will be october or there abouts that i get in. You never know lol, my first deployment after int corp training is with a combat unit so i may be attached to yours one day lol. ;)
JediMind

Post by JediMind »

rp5377 wrote:Cheer man, good luck when you start at catterick, i'll pass on the advice that the infantry at my adsc were given and that is to just hang in there no matter what, don't show them that they have got to you at any stage or they'll be all over you like a rash. I wont get my date just yet cos i still have another selection weekend to go to lol. If i fail that i get my back up job which is red caps but i think it will be october or there abouts that i get in. You never know lol, my first deployment after int corp training is with a combat unit so i may be attached to yours one day lol. ;)
Thanks for that mate, its goin to be a tough one haha. Just found out a lad i went away with for a week away with the duke of lancasters is startin on the 7th aswell, we were good friends that week so atleast ive got someone i know already, makes it abit more comforting. Yeah if you got attatched to my unit that would be sweet haha, im sure if we both pass training we will bump into eachother sometime during our 12 year initial contract, i sent you a PM with some details in so you can get in touch if you need any answers to stuff, dont think ill be much help now that youve done your ADSC but the offers always there pal :)
Gareth Morgan

Post by Gareth Morgan »

I've got my pre selection tomorrow and my running is shit. I need to know what happens if I f*ck it up? Can anyone help :cry:
EchoOne

Post by EchoOne »

Just had a phone call from the afco, I did have my 2nd interview booked on 21st Feb but now i've been taken out of that and instead being put on a pre selection on the 20th. Is this normal for them to cancel an interview to do this?

I'm worried I wont pass, I am trying my hardest at fitness but my times arn't what I want them to be and my press ups/sit ups arn't upto scratch too. I'd say my heaves are okay though. I'm hoping I can improve this by the 20th as much as I can.

I know it's not the end of the World if you fail, as you can be booked onto another pre selection.

Ah well. JUst got to keep going! I'm going down on Monday to get all the forms and further information.
davie1994

Post by davie1994 »

im not sure if its normal but i have sort of the same problem, iv been put on a chosen man course very short notice and am not feeling very fit at the moment, my run times only about 10:40 my sit ups and press ups are not up to scratch and im only small and skinny so think im going to struggle at most things haha. i also fell and twisted my ankle the other day and am still in pain when i run, im going in 2 days and dont think im going to do very good at anything haha, anyone know if i could be deferred from getting a selection date if i dont perform good enough?
EchoOne

Post by EchoOne »

10:40 is a good time, what you going in for? Para's are 9:30 which is the top time (correct me if im wrong) so 10:40 should be fine. Don't forget when you're actually there you'll probably do better as you have the other people to keep up with and the Army staff pushing you
davie1994

Post by davie1994 »

im going for infantry, rifles and a was thinking that i would probably push myself more than usually on the day.
fingers crossed ha, i just dont feel very prepared with a bad ankle and my push ups and sit ups are pathetic to be honest but i was reading somewhere that the press ups and sit ups are just your best effort and theres not a set amount you have to do, is that true by any chance?
and do you have any idea weather i could be deferred for not doing well on the press ups and sit ups?
thanks.
EchoOne

Post by EchoOne »

I havn't heard one person say they are fully ready for selection, all depends how you push yourself on the day.

I also heard push ups and sit ups are just best effort at selection, you just get tested on heaves, jerry can and your run. But i've read that on pre-selection (if you go on it) that push ups and sit ups are counted.

I'm going in the AFCO on Monday to pick up my consent forms for pre-selections so i'll ask
davie1994

Post by davie1994 »

thanks for the advice :) and good look on pre-selection, what are you going for?
and im mostly worried about the icebreaker to be honest ha, i dont mind talking infront of people i just cant think of what to say haa been trying to write some notes to take with me for the past two weeks and still havnt came up with anything at all haha.
EchoOne

Post by EchoOne »

I want to go into the RLC. Wouldn't worry about the ice breaker, apparently there are titles in front of you to go off and you just expand on them. If you've had any jobs, why you wanna join, what your friends think etc
davie1994

Post by davie1994 »

good luck with that then! hope you do well and im just going to keep calm and be as confident as i can haha fingers crossed.