Share This Page:

Saluting and army etiquette

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
harry73

Post by harry73 »

Just to through a spanner in the works. The Blues and Royals still have salute even without headress on. :-?
GD

Post by GD »

That's because they spent time as a marine regiment as far as I know. (could be wrong). It doesn't mean they all run around saluting without headress, it just means they salute on the way to the cookhouse etc instead of just bracing up.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
harry73

Post by harry73 »

I am ashamed to say it, that even though im in the Household Cavalry which includes the Blues and Royals (im a Life Guard) I havent a fogiest why they salute without headress (when in uniform). If anyone is really interested I will ask when I return of leave. But hey the cricket is on .
Doc

Post by Doc »

When I served with 59 Cdo (RE unit) and I was a matelot I came across a few issues with saluting that got me into a few spots of bother from time to time.

The Royal Navy neither wear headress or salute indoors.
The Royal Marines wear headress indoors but do not salute.
The Army wear headress indoors and salute.

So hence after a spell of getting bollocked in 59 and coming under squadron orders being told to salute etc, I then returned to the RM side of things and got bollocked for saluting. Then when visiting RN units I would get bollocked for wearing headress indoors. So then I would sort myself out and find myself back with 59 and repeating the process all over again.

In the end I asked the powers that be that even though I came under different squadron/unit standing orders when with each particular unit, I was still in the RN and RN rules took precedence.

So thereafter I would annoy 59 by taking off my beret and not saluting indoors, annoy Royal by taking off my beret, and just to be awkward wear my beret and salute when indoors at a RN unit :lol: :lol: RN officers seemed to fail the sense of humour test.

I also got told to bog off when it came to 59 parades as I was the only bod not to stamp his feet and salute the Army way.

"Doc you can man the HQ telephones....away you go!"

"Oi come back here and salute before you go!"

"We are indoors Sir!" :o :lol:

also different RN units had different ideas on what was indoors or not :o a covered walkway between buildings was classed as indoors by some and not by others! :roll:

The RN and RM do not wear headress to the galley (cookhouse) and when on an Army base I would get all sorts of twonks shouting at me!

As a MA's capbadge changes from a metal one to cloth for ratings serving with 3 Cdo Brigade I would also get a fair few Army types saluting me from time to time. Too which I would reply with an Army salute (thus technically not saluting, as the RN do it the right way!)

All in all a fair bit of fun was to be had being the only matelot serving in an army unit and when visiting other army units. 59 put up with it but "hat" units got very stroppy especially when calling a Sgt "mate" which tends to be the way in small units.

We are all different, and as my Cdo Log Regt RM SSM once said "Doc your especially very different!" :o :roll: :lol:
GD

Post by GD »

what you were told is correct however - you do what you were taught to do, regardless.

Mate of mine was in the blues and jews and he saluted an ossifer from the Royal Hussars on the way to the cookhouse. This cornet had a right go at my mate for saluting bare headed. Les simply stood there, took it then said - Blues and Royals, regimental priviledge sir.

One red faced 2nd looey.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
aes69

Post by aes69 »

Just do what the RAF do, no head-dress in doors (unless on orders) Salute only if you really have to and the occifers are really close, or walk round the long way just to avoid the ruperts!
GD

Post by GD »

Or do what everyone else has done at one time or another. When you're leaving the Naafi, if you see a Cornet coming (especially a new one). Set off at 10 second intervals :P

It's like watching a duck learn to fly harhardehar. 8)
aes69

Post by aes69 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dartford

Post by dartford »

The only Warrant Officers you would salute are those in the US Forces.

An up to 1949, you would have saluted WOs in the Royal Navy and Royal Marines as they had officer status. Strange, but true.
GD

Post by GD »

Yes it is true. Just the same as the Guards call a sgt 'Sir'.
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

Salute a Spam Warrant Officer!!! Kiss my oozing love stump!! Not as long as my arse points downwards would that event occur!!

Regards

ss

PS Still flabbagasted at such a suggestion!!
Per Ardua
GD

Post by GD »

Sticky, tis true. after said post I did a wee bit of trawling round with Dr Google and found loads of references to ir regarding the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.

They did salute Bosuns :o
dartford

Post by dartford »

[quote="GD"]Sticky, tis true. after said post I did a wee bit of trawling round with Dr Google and found loads of references to ir regarding the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.

They did salute Bosuns :o[/quote]

The pre-1948 RM ranks were:

Colour Sergeant ( as today)
Quartermaster Sergeant which included CSMs (WO2 today)
Warrant Officer - Staff Sergeant Majors, Orderly Room Sergeant Majors and Superintendent Clerks
Commissioned Warrant Officer

Warrant Officers had their own messes, wore officers uniforms and were saluted. They wore a small WO badge in a small laurel wreath on their shoulder straps. The commissioned WOs wore a small star on their shoulder straps. Apparently, their officer status caused confusion when dealing with army and RAF WOs.

In 1948, the title of RM and RN WOs was changed to (Commissioned) Branch Officer and the WOs messes were closed down. The RM at that time had Commissioned Sergeant Majors and Senior Commissioned Sergeant Majors. The Branch Officer rank was abolished in 1957 and changed to SD Officers.

The Royal Marines also had RSMs from the 1940s who wore the Royal Arms but unlike WO1s in the Army, were classified as NCOs.

The warrant rank wasn't reintroduced into the RN and RM until 1970.

So the US WOs have British origins, and you'd better salute them! :wink: