Share This Page:

Marksman weapons.

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
Ash21

Marksman weapons.

Post by Ash21 »

I'm just wondering what weapons a designated marksman would be equipped with. Is it always the L96 or can you opt for the HK417? I doubt you'd get a choice but i would've thought a semi-auto would be more effective in todays urban warfare. Forgive my naivety i haven't even joined the forces yet but i'm aiming to specialize as a sniper at some point after phase 2 training and frankly i'm interested. (i know what you're thinking, "oh look another wannabe that just wants to be a sniper because of the glamourisation of them in films" or something to that effect. But i've been hunting since i was 7 and have spent many a freezing night lying half buried in mud and leaves so i'm well aware of the reality of it. Well the reality of it against unarmed fairly stupid animals anyway.)
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Either way just bloody get on with it!
Wholley

Re: Marksman weapons.

Post by Wholley »

Ash21 wrote:I doubt you'd get a choice
Right first time Annie Oakley.
Keep your sights on getting in the rest will come(It says here) :D
Ash21

Post by Ash21 »

Yeah looks like i'll have to lol. Sorry i know it seems like a pretty newbie type question (well it obviously is :P) but i'm aware that the spots for the sniper training are limited when they come around and i'm going to try and be the perfect candidate for when they do! Regardless, back to my exercise!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Airborne Sniper??
No doubt you would get some SBS training in whilst waiting for a spare,airworthy C-130 to leap boldly and fearlessly from.You would of course have to complete RT at CTC/Pco.At the"Shot"Get posted to Battalion and in your spare time paint the boathouse at Hereford.
But you get the weekends off after two years of that nasty squaddie stuff that will obviously cramp your style.You know,personal Admin,marching around a lot for no apparent reason,getting yelled at by the nice PTI corporal who just seems to have it in for you and losing your"48"because shaving off of the bum fluff did not meet the Provost Sergeant's stupidly strict requirements for a"Run Ashore"

Have I missed anything? :wink:
BTW,for RN rates read"Regulating Petty Officer"not "Provost"
Ash21

Post by Ash21 »

Wow, a whole lot of acronyms lost on me there! And sbs training?! Pretty sure that would kill me. I think i'll have to re-read this after a few years service. Might have a clue then :P
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Just a little banter at your expense :D
In the current climate the armed forces can and will have to be picky.
As you are a benefit scrounger you can apply for travel warrants to get to and from interviews.
Once again speak to your AFCO,but don't try calling collect.
After all you can always lurk in a dimly lit alley and steal someones mobile to make the call. 8)
Seriously,if you want it then show willing.
Ash21

Post by Ash21 »

Don't worry i do have the will in me, i'm just being clever(economical at least) and saving it for when i actually have the appointment. Why make two trips when i can make it one! Either way i'm trying to get some more training in before i get to that stage. That's why i'm asking the stupid questions here where i'm nice and anonymous rather than make a tit out of myself in the office. [edited for text speak]