Share This Page:

Which grenade...

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
macvsog

Which grenade...

Post by macvsog »

Since I collect grenades here in the USA, what does the UK presently use for its grenade. I maybe going out on the limb here but doesn't the UK buy them from the Swiss?
Tab

Post by Tab »

The current grenade is made out of a ball of wire.
mutter1

Re: Which grenade...

Post by mutter1 »

macvsog wrote:Since I collect grenades here in the USA, what does the UK presently use for its grenade. I maybe going out on the limb here but doesn't the UK buy them from the Swiss?
Ruag HG-85 is the one I believe, can't remember the UK designation for it though.
BritinAfrica

Re: Which grenade...

Post by BritinAfrica »

mutter1 wrote: Ruag HG-85 is the one I believe, can't remember the UK designation for it though.
L109A1 HE Fragmentation Grenade

The L109A1 came into service in the British military in 2001, replacing the L2A2 as the standard anti-personnel grenade. The L109A1 weighs 465 gm, has a fuse delay of 3-4 seconds. The grenade is filled with RDX explosives. On detonation the steel shell bursts and fragments outwards at high velocity.
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

Thanks guys, that is the one I thought about. I do not understand why we couldn't have gone with that one either. SpecOps has tried most of the German (DM) series and Austrian series as well.
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

This is the model I wished we would of paid more attention to: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DM51

Just my $.02 worth
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

Whitey

Post by Whitey »

German grenades are nice. I had a chance to throw some old potato mashers. Pretty damn nice despite the age.

We have pretty good grenades as well, quite the assortment.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Tab

Post by Tab »

My favourite was the Phosphorus smoke grenade, my that could clear a building quickly
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

Well we cannot or should I say it is illegal for us in the USA to use Willie Pete in combat along with CS. Some kind of treaty we signed that had something to do with the use of chemical munitions. These two fit right in there. Is the UK a signer of this treaty too?
druadan

Post by druadan »

Yep, phos cannot be used as an anti-personnel weapon. I've heard of it being used to deny damaged vehicles (melts all the kit inside, radios etc etc). But then neither can a Claymore - that's passed off as an area-defence weapon. I believe the .50 cal HMG is also technically not meant to be used against personnel, but is carried for use against buildings/fortifications, though that one maybe was just proposed rather than actually brought into force.
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

druadon,

The only way to shoot at people with a .50cal is as long as they have equipment on. Which can meane vests, mag pouches or any other piece of kit on their body. Even if they just have a rifle they are still considered as enemy with equipment on and therefore can be engaged. Naturally this pertains to somebody behind a vehicle, behind a wall, inside a vehicle, and with any magazine pouches and/or web gear on. Their is however one military group that is using CS gas actively. Cannot tell you the name but if you were to guess it correctly there would be nothing I could do.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Macvsog,

My favourite is the 'social hand grenade'!

If you need any translating doing in the future, let me know. I have a contact who can get real translations done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdf2eLeCLHI
macvsog

Post by macvsog »

Rogue Chef,

You have just made my day! That is one of the funniest videos I have ever seen! :multi: :lol:
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

One tries.