Share This Page:

Best Service Rifle in the World

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

AUG
14%
SCAR
18%
FN 2000
2%
C8
23%
TYPE 95
No votes
G36
25%
AN94 (AK47)
18%
SIG 550 family
No votes

Total votes: 44

PoliSci

Post by PoliSci »

AUG

SCAR

FN 2000

c8

Chinese type 95

G36

(Newest AK47) AN 94

SIG 552

M4
PoliSci

Post by PoliSci »

In my opinion the SCAR with the ability to fire almost any ammo with a changing barrel, the folding stock, the 1 moa accuracy, etc. is the best all round rifle in the world.
owdun

Post by owdun »

.303 Lee Enfield.Served the British Serviceman well in two World Wars and dozens of small wars in between.Only problem is that you need to be able to shoot, not just point in the general direction and let fly.

:D :D :D

Owdun
Chas

Post by Chas »

Yes Owdun I agree and I never forgot just how good our PW Dizzy Dunsmore was to ensure that the shorter men (self included) got the right butt size.
And as a poaching rustic country boy, I could cerainly shoot ! It made up for my lousy drill and extra parades. :lol: Crossed rifles. :wink:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Polisci, I realise you're trying to reflect current weapons, so I'm surprised the SA80 isn't on your list.

But you've missed out some important historical weapons that are still widely in use around the world, due to their reliability.

SLR
FN Fal
M 16
AK 47 / 74

Not to mention the various models of the .303 SMLE and the M1 Garrand

The 7.62 SLR served me well and was always reliable.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Reminiscing back to the Lee Enfield and mentioning accurate shooting are fine, but I don't think you'd appreciate one in a fire fight against automatic weapons. A weapon capable of automatic fire just gives one an added capability when required, it doesn't have to be used all the time. Marksmanship principles are still taught and practiced contrary to some people's beliefs. Plus in a short range firefight you'd be at a distinct disadvantage with a bolt action rifle.

Ref the best assault rifle in the world, what about the HK416/417?

SO19

Post by SO19 »

Ah gentlemen, it's an age old question... but we all know this thread is really about gun pr0n! :D

AKS-74U.

[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
PoliSci

Post by PoliSci »

London Boy wrote:Polisci, I realise you're trying to reflect current weapons, so I'm surprised the SA80 isn't on your list.

But you've missed out some important historical weapons that are still widely in use around the world, due to their reliability.

SLR
FN Fal
M 16
AK 47 / 74

Not to mention the various models of the .303 SMLE and the M1 Garrand

The 7.62 SLR served me well and was always reliable.
Well I do like the SLR/FN FAL/C1 (I joined the army right after they replaced it with the C-7) . It is certainly a fine rifle but as far as I know it is not serving with any first world army. The M16 is really overshadowed right now by the M4 and I did mention the AK 47. The newest model is called the AN94. The AK-47/74/108 is not used by any first world military currently, nor is the HK416 (although its probably better than the M4 because it mechanically recocks the bolt through a rod into the upper reciever instead of blowing gas into it) and I know I'm on a british site but I would be a total people pleaser to put the SA80 on the list since its widely regarded as one of the worst rifles in service with a first rate army. I hope I didnt just make a million enemies... :) Try switching hands and coming around a right corner in a room... if you have to start shooting your going to get casing in the eyes and face... The committee that put it together must have spent a lot of time on a range and little time in a kill house; which is why the SAS use the SIG and the C8. Thats why the FN2000 has the only bullpup forward ejection port.
PoliSci

Post by PoliSci »

owdun wrote:.303 Lee Enfield.Served the British Serviceman well in two World Wars and dozens of small wars in between.Only problem is that you need to be able to shoot, not just point in the general direction and let fly.

Owdun
I actually own 2 lee enfields back in Canada (paying about 15 gbp a month for storage...) Its a beautiful rifle. If only that kind of quality could go into making cars... you would buy one for life.

I recently bought a .300 Winchester Magnum, heavy cold forged barrell (paying for its storage in canada as well...) Shot a deer and two caribou last year. I had the butcher make them into steaks. What a mistake! Always go with sausages with non-fatty meat!!! Im still kicking myself...
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

owdun wrote:.303 Lee Enfield.Served the British Serviceman well in two World Wars and dozens of small wars in between.Only problem is that you need to be able to shoot, not just point in the general direction and let fly.

Owdun

My Dad liked the .303 as well he used it in the B Men and in the early days of the UDR. He told me they were on the range one time and got chalanged to a shoot out by a Welch regiment, he said they beat them hands down. The UDR still had the .303 while the Welch had the newer SLR.
mutter1

Post by mutter1 »

Greenronnie wrote:Reminiscing back to the Lee Enfield and mentioning accurate shooting are fine, but I don't think you'd appreciate one in a fire fight against automatic weapons. A weapon capable of automatic fire just gives one an added capability when required, it doesn't have to be used all the time. Marksmanship principles are still taught and practiced contrary to some people's beliefs. Plus in a short range firefight you'd be at a distinct disadvantage with a bolt action rifle.

Ref the best assault rifle in the world, what about the HK416/417?

There are a bunch of pic's floating around the web of gentlemen who don't need to be named (someone shouldn't have relaesed the pic's but there you go), and they have the HK416/417......so good enough there I'd imagine 8)
owdun

Post by owdun »

I would concur with the argument for automatics in FIBUA situations.But in places like Afghanistan, with miles of wide open desert areas,there has to be a requirement for distance shooting over the 300 metre accurate range of most automatics,and thats where the Enfield and SLR and good marksmanship would come into their own.

Owdun.
PoliSci

Post by PoliSci »

owdun wrote:I would concur with the argument for automatics in FIBUA situations.But in places like Afghanistan, with miles of wide open desert areas,there has to be a requirement for distance shooting over the 300 metre accurate range of most automatics,and thats where the Enfield and SLR and good marksmanship would come into their own.

Owdun.
Well with Automatic grenade launchers that can reach out and get personal at 2km and .50 cals good out to 1km (in the direct fire role) I still think the Lee Enfield is totally obsolete. Especially with the L96... That is a beautiful rifle right there...
owdun

Post by owdun »

Grenade launchers are,of course,famed for their accuracy over the distance quoted,and the .50 calibre is far heavier than the Enfield.and no more accurate in the right hands.

Owdun.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

owdun wrote:But in places like Afghanistan, with miles of wide open desert areas,there has to be a requirement for distance shooting over the 300 metre accurate range of most automatics,and thats where the Enfield and SLR and good marksmanship would come into their own.
Good marksmanship can and is achieved with assault rifles. However they also give you increased firepower when required, ie winning the firefight. Plus they are flexible enough to be used at close quarters. If bolt action rifles were a better option then small arms would not have evolved past them.

I'm sure however, that the Lee Enfield would still make an awesome sniper rifle.