Share This Page:

Military families wanted for Channel 4 programme

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
c4parents

Military families wanted for Channel 4 programme

Post by c4parents »

NAUGHTY CHILDREN & SMACKING

Hi everyone! I am a TV Producer for Channel 4 and I'm working on a new programme about parenting. We are keen to hear from military families who think that strict parental discipline is important.

Should parents have more freedom to smack naughty children?
Is smacking sometimes the only effective option?
Do you use smacking as a key part of your parenting?

In the aftermath of the summer riots, MP David Lammy suggested that giving parents more freedom to smack their children would prevent a repeat of the widespread violence. Research has found that smacked children grow up to be happier and more successful later in life, and a recent poll showed that the majority of people agree that it is OK to smack your child.

If you’re a military parent that believes a smack can be good for a child’s development we’d like to hear your thoughts as part of research for a Channel 4 documentary.

Please email - caroline.menzies@rdftelevision.com or call 0207 0134456 to find out more
Tab

Re: Military families wanted for Channel 4 programme

Post by Tab »

I can see the headlines now,Military People like to beat their kids.
c4parents

Post by c4parents »

Thanks for your reply - I can assure you that this isn't the angle at all. We are looking for people from all backgrounds and communities to take part in the programme and will be interviewing a wide selection of parents to ensure the programme represents a diverse range of people. We aren't looking for tabloid stories / stories of parents 'beating' their kids - we're looking for loving, responsible parents who have strong, well-thought-out views on the importance of parental discipline. Child-beaters need not apply! Apologies if the original post suggested otherwise but we are very much looking for parents with a strong moral code and parents who use smacking as a disciplinary tool and in a controlled manner.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

c4parents wrote:Thanks for your reply - I can assure you that this isn't the angle at all.
But you are asking for military personnel to say whether smacking is acceptable or not. It doesn't take a genius to see where this might lead.

If you are interested in the view of military parents it would be better to ask how Miltary families instil or use discipline in their family
c4parents

Post by c4parents »

The programme is specifically about smacking and we like to be clear and upfront about the subject matter. As I said, we are looking for parents who use smacking in a controlled manner to instill discipline and respect - there isn't a hidden agenda and we aren't looking to vilify parents for their choices. We are specifically looking for parents who think that discipline is lacking these days and the programme will investigate whether the Goverment has taken the power away from parents and teachers to discipline children - creating a generation of unruly young people without boundaries or respect for elders.

We are looking for parents with well-brought up children as a result of being smacked for deliberate disobedience. Too often, the media portrays just one side of the smacking debate - we are keen to illustrate the positive side to raising children in a strict but fair family environment.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now if you go on TV and say that you have smacked your children you could find that you have visits from all sorts of people looking into child cruelty.
c4parents

Post by c4parents »

Actually, a lot of parents are unaware that mild smacking is permitted under a "reasonable chastisement'' as long as it doesn’t cause bruising, swelling, cuts, grazes or scratches. We aren't looking for stories of abuse or neglect - we are looking for parents who are firm but fair. We are looking for parents who feel that society's reluctance to discipline our children is resulting in social decline and a generation of feral young people.
Scouse Lancer

Post by Scouse Lancer »

My daughter is now 19, when she was growing up I smacked her a$$ a total of 5 times her whole life, but I found the best way to teach her a lesson was by:

1. Explaining what she did wrong,
2. Why it was wrong.
3. Grounding.
4. and if that failed to work, threaten a smacked a$$.
5. and if that failed a smacked a$$ as a last resort.

She is in College and looking to go to Uni and maybe a commission in the RAF Police. You do not need to Smack to instill discipline and any parent that does so as their initial response to wrong doing is IMHO not a good parent!
Once a Lancer always a Lancer, Ich Dien.

It must be accepted as a principle that the rifle, effective as it is, cannot replace the effect produced by the speed of the horse, the magnetism of the charge and the terror of cold steel. - British Cavalry Training Manual, 1907
Millar

Post by Millar »

tbh all parents have different approaches to parenting, as-long as the children aren't walking around with bruises or injuries, or showing signs of neglect or un-happiness then it's nobodies business how they are raised.

This nation focuses far to much on the silly little details rather than what's actually an issue with today's society, child obesity, under age pregnancies and crime, in my opinion were going soft, were a laughing stock to the rest of the World in Sports and just about any international event, due to a poor education system, a corrupt political system and the jokes we call punishments for crime.
Walter Kovacks

Post by Walter Kovacks »

Millar,

Good post. Not bad for a 'flag wagger'.

C4parents, I'm in favour of the odd slap as a disciplinary tool (Short, sharp, shock). I've explained this to my kids on numerous occasions.

As an aside what are your personal views and experiences?