Share This Page:

Lost In Translation

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
dave1234

Lost In Translation

Post by dave1234 »

My missus is American and comes from a very small town in Georgia. She has never really understood any British Military Terminology.

Yesterday, after catching me spraying coffee from my nose after reading a NAAFI Bar posting on a sister website to this one, she demanded that I explain what was so funny and what all the terminology meant. I told her it would take too long and due to her nature that she may not find some of the stuff funny [ her dad is a Baptist Minister ].She tried reading the whole posting and only understood one word in ten.

“What does “bezzering mean” ?” she asked.

I explained as best as I could, but she got even more puzzled and irritated.

“I don’t understand why two grown men would swear undying devotion to each other in one minute, then be physically assaulting each other the next, then be best of pals right after that …. It makes no sense”.

I told her that was the beauty of it.

Next one was “swamping”. She flat out refused to believe any of that.

“Why are you laughing while you are telling me that ? Nobody would do that … they’re lying “.

“I’ll ask Jack when he gets back from holiday in England… he’ll know if they’re lying”

Jack Nuttall is my elderly next door neighbour and is ex 1, 2 then 12/13 PARA.

Good luck to her with that one.

I hope to have better luck explaining the “grand-slam” tomorrow. I'm sure she'll understand that concept........

Anyone else out there ever had a problem explaining stuff to a wife/girlfriend etc ?

Dave
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I was married to an American for seventeen years.
She is a yankee from Detroit Michigan.
We have remained friends as our sense of humor is so similar.
Just wish she had'nt dumped me because of my job. 8)