Share This Page:

Snow

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
anglo-saxon

Snow

Post by anglo-saxon »

Yep, you'd think being Canada, we'd be used to snow by now. Out here on the west coast, though, we don't get much, so when we do, it's a pretty major event (especially as they don't have the equipment to deal with it very well here).

Here's some pics of my place over Christmas and what we had to contend with...

From the living room window, looking up to the road (we have a steep driveway as it is!). This was the first snow fall and it was about 15".

Pretty picture, but the novelty factor wore off very quickly!

this is what my truck looked like from the road.

Took some digging to get it out!

Our road. Some of those small cars didn't move for three weeks!

The dog house with "Spot" and "Billy" enjoying the conditions. They have hardly been inside their dog house the whole time. They love the snow more than the kids do.

All in all, we had about 6 feet fall in three weeks. I did over 25 hours of shovelling. Two hours of that is quite a workout! It's heavy stuff out here, not like the powdery stuff back in Alberta!

Melting now, thank goodness and the roads are generally clear. I took the Honda out for a ride the other day and froze my backside off. A bit early yet for that!
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Nice pics but I've seen worse.

Had about an hours worth in 1971; it must have taken me the best part of two minutes to clear my Nan's doorstep!
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Ooooooh lovely phots! We've had a fair bit of snow but thankfully it's gone now. The novelty wore off pretty quickly!

Made my first ever snowman! :D
Waiting for my rocket to come.
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

Please remove the photo of the special forces snow man, or blur his face we do not want him getting interrogated :P

ive never seen markings for buttons etc on a snow man :P only ever seen a carrot in a nose :\
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
Basic Skills - 28th january
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
-------------------------------------------
sportbilly42

Re: Snow

Post by sportbilly42 »

anglo-saxon wrote:(snip).......
The dog house with "Spot" and "Billy" enjoying the conditions. ......
:o :o
I read that and did a double take on the photo, thinking it was piccie of me in the doghouse (again)
Love the snow. But it's been a couple of years since my regular skiing fix..... (too bleeding' expensive with a family :evil: )

How I miss those Exercise Snow Queen's in Germany which involved a couple of hours of langlauf training followed by 10 days of downhill and apres-ski! :D

BANZAI!!!!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Call that snow?
HA...When I lived in New Hampshire(Glenn)I could not find my car let alone move it.I did try though,dug out a neighors car by mistake just to have a plow come past and bury it again :o
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

maunder123 wrote:Please remove the photo of the special forces snow man, or blur his face we do not want him getting interrogated :P

ive never seen markings for buttons etc on a snow man :P only ever seen a carrot in a nose :\
Betcha never seen Maltezers as eyes and mouth either.

Hubby did the whole button markings, maybe he though Snowman was in two's :o

He's dead now anyway, the snowman, not my husband. His head fell off, my husband's not the snowman 8)
Waiting for my rocket to come.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

We made a snow WO2 last year, he was 7' tall, and wearing a stable belt, rank slide, black curly wig and a medallion. Someone kicked him in though...

The guys at that location made a smaller snowman this year, and someone came along in the night and gave him snowballs...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

If that's your house, clear a room COZ I'M MOVING IN!!! Ironicly Canada was the first place I built a snowman to, it was massive but then I was about 8 years old.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I miss Canada, I was in Alberta for a wee while, well about 9 months in total, each side of Edmonton. I would live there tomorrow and your pics A_S have me thinking on it again.

I tried Germany SportBilly, I lived in Sonthofen and spent many an hour at Oberstorf und Hindelang sliding into trees (and that was just in the Summer!!!)

But all in all Canada do better Pancakes and have more dropzones and less people. Failing that Alaska is next on my holidays, just back from Iceland after a trip to see the Northern Lights, sadly too much clound cover and after a few dark cold snowy nights all we got was a glimpse that looks better on the pics we took once you brighten them in Photoshop. So Alaska to see the lights in the Autumn is next on the agenda.

Doc
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

maltesers.... If i saw anyone using these i would report them to the "why waist good food, give them to maunder instead. trust" :D
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
Basic Skills - 28th january
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
-------------------------------------------
fodd

Post by fodd »

Sorry anglo but heres one of my xmas day phots I had hurrendos weather :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was a nightmare tanning on the beach!!! 8) 8)
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
got1

Post by got1 »

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/got1/017.jpg[/IMG]

It was this size, taken ths morning :D
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

I'll take this over the snow thanks. Maldives 2007. :wink:

[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

I miss Canada, I was in Alberta for a wee while, well about 9 months in total, each side of Edmonton. I would live there tomorrow and your pics A_S have me thinking on it again.

Man I remember that. We stayed in tents in some sort of Nature park with the black bear as guests. Think it was Jasper. Remember seeing a wolf and a porcupine.

Adventure sports, quick exercise and a weeks R&R. Loved it.

Great people to boot.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.