Share This Page:

Gamers?

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
jstagg

Gamers?

Post by jstagg »

Any service men/woman like to play PC, XBOX, PS3 games?

If so are they tactical?

If you haven't and have no idea how a squad moves or anything like that i would suggest a quick watch or play on Arma armed assault, it uses real time strategy of the armed forces, thou it's American we use similar tactics.. i.e the way a squad will move through specific terrain, formations advancement tactics stuff like that.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
druadan

Post by druadan »

I do, tho I'm not massively into them. As do many others (and some are). BUT do not confuse real life with a video game, these things look great and work in theory, but are nothing like a real contact. For starters, you probably won't be cracking on if you take a single round, let alone half a mag :wink: Don't be fooled that being good at Call of Duty will give you an edge in infantry skills/tactics.

I don't think there's any correlation between being in the forces and preferring war games either...in fact, I'd hazard a guess that there's a higher percentage of civvy male gamers that prefer the genre. Personally, whilst I do like a bit of CoD or Medal of Honor (effing Yank spelling), I prefer Command and Conquer style stuff.

Incidentally, I'd love to see an intelligent comparison between American infantry tactics and our own...I don't think you'll find they're as similar as you believe (though obviously they share more than ours and say Taliban guerrilla warfare).
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

The way they progress throu terrain is the same, staggered columns, single file.. spaced ect, those are the things I'm talking about not the YIT COD or MOH stuff, those games are just intensely B.S, the hole game is designed in a specific path, unlike ARMA or OFP where you can pick you're line of attack weapons.

I agree no doubt when I'm in service that will be near enough the end of playing games.. no war game can come close to the real thing lol.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.