Share This Page:

Dubai Rugby 7s

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Rogue Chef

Dubai Rugby 7s

Post by Rogue Chef »

They're off!

The new venue isn't complete yet, but it is still a huge improvement on the old place. Great pitches and facilities.

Prices are extortionate as usual.

The atmosphere and the Rugby are fantastic.

The first day is always quiet but the potential for a great weekend is enormous (rain permitting).

Undoubtedly there will be many re-unions and beers taken in celebration.

I spoke to Speedy earlier, but unfortunately he will not be able to attend.

We (Al Ain Amblers Vets, many of whom are former members of HM Armed Forces) played and won all three pool games tonight, so we are top of our group and through to the QFs.

After playing rugby (on and off) for nearly 40 years, I'm celebrating scoring the winning try in our final game.

I expect things will be a bit tougher from here on in though.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Another great (but dry) day for us. England won all their games (Portugal , USA and Fiji).
Our Quarter Final wasn't until 1930hrs, but the 'boys' of the Al Ain Vets nailed it and we play the Semi Final tomorrow.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

We were well beaten by Dubai Hurricanes in the final, but that should not detract from the fantastic effort put in by all concerned from Al Ain Amblers Vets.

What an experience? We were back in our own 22 for the most of the second half and our supporters were high up overlooking the opposition's 5 metre line. Though few in number they made some noise. Good effort!

I take my hat off to the bunch of misfits (and their supporters) who made up the barely adequate squad of 15 (only 13 were fit for the SF and Final) who went the distance and fell at the final hurdle. Awesome stuff!

Just a reminder that the Vets competition play 10 a side in the 7s! I expect it is because we are old and fat!

A couple of pics:

Image[/img]