Share This Page:

Britain's oldest serving soldier 12 March 2008

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
barrybudden

Britain's oldest serving soldier 12 March 2008

Post by barrybudden »

Just saw this on the Op Banner site

http://www.operationbanner.com/

UK's oldest serving soldier is demobbed
He has been in fatigues for more than three decades but in less than three weeks' time Britain's oldest serving soldier will give his final salute.

Raymond McKeeman (61), from Garvagh, Co Londonderry is due to hang up his combats and step onto 'civvy' street on March 31.

Rising to the rank of Warrant Officer, Mr McKeeman clocked up 36 years service with the Ulster Defence Regiment and Royal Irish Regiment - to become officially the UK's oldest serving soldier.

The father-of-three and grandfather- of-seven signed up aged 26 in 1972 after a number of civilian jobs failed to satisfy his thirst for adventure.

Following in the footsteps of his uncles who enlisted during the second world war, Mr McKeeman travelled the globe serving in Gibraltar, Germany and Ascension Island.

"I'll have 36 years and three months experience by the end of it.

"I certainly have enjoyed my experiences. The camaraderie is something that stays with you for a long time and is something that I will miss. No matter where you go in the world and walk down any street and you are likely to bump into someone you worked with and you'll remember them and they'll remember you.

"I'd certainly recommend a career in the Army to anyone."

Most of his career was spent in Northern Ireland where unfortunately he lost 10 friends during the Troubles.

"That's the downside of the job. These things happen and some would argue that's what you're paid for - I'm not so sure though - but they are part and parcel of Army life," he said.

Among the highlights of his lengthy career was receiving the military award for gallantry and commendable service in 1980.

"That was a great surprise as I had no idea I was even entered into it," he said.

Mr McKeeman was also the Regimental Drum Major for 12 years playing at the Royal Albert Hall and at Horse Guards Parade for the Queen's birthday celebrations. And in 1984 he led the band to World Championship glory.

Asked how he will spend his time during retirement, Mr McKeeman said he hadn't made any firm plans.

"I am looking forward to my final days with the Army. I have no idea what I will do in the future. I'm too old to get a good job but too young to retire. I will have to do something but I'm just not sure.

"I'd like to thank my wife Anne, she kept things together at home while I was away working so much. We've been married for 40 years so she has done a great job."