Share This Page:

Private Messages

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Rogue Chef

Private Messages

Post by Rogue Chef »

I had mentioned to another member, by PM, that this subject had run its course. Also it had nothing to do with the original thread subject.
However it is turning into quite a discussion subject, so I thought I'd start a thread for PMs.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

My view coincides with your own Rogue.
Basically, my view is that unless the sender of a PM specifically asks to enter into an agreement of confidentiality with the receiver of the PM then the receiver owns the right to do what he/she wishes with the details contained in the PM.

Private simply means it has been "privately" sent from one forum member to another i.e. not on the open forum.

Most private letters are not confidential, which is why,years ago, those that were both were marked "private and confidential"

i.e. private does not mean confidential.

A private meeting or discussion for example is only open to a small number of people not to the general public, that doesn't mean what they are going to discuss is confidential.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

There have been many points made on this issue to date but I thought I would just clarify my stance. The following points are not open to different interpretations and semantics. They are exactly what they say. Feel free to offer your own.

1. The precise definition of the word 'private' is not in contention.

2. The term 'Private Message' is simply a label for an alternate means of communication between forum members who decide for any reason not to inlcude other forum members.

3. The issue is whether PMs should be subject to absolute confidentiality or not.

4. The vast majority of PMs I have received and sent are benign and of little or no interest to anyone else other than the people involved. In most cases I would not reveal those PMs.

5. Those in communication should make a mutual agreement about confidentiality if anything contentious is being discussed. As it is likely that this is the area of discussion where problems may arise.

6. It has been pointed out that senders should be granted the opportunity to delete or withdraw a PM before the recipient broadcasts it. I would say the sender may make the request but the decision lies with the recipient.

7. If you post an abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented message then you have contravened the terms of agreement and have forfeited your right to confidentiality. If the sender then claims the right to absolute confidentiality he/she unfairly trumps the recipients rights.

8. The equation is simple if you don't want your PMs promulgated in public then don't post abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented messages or suffer the consequences.

9. Being upset or drunk is not a get out clause. If you post PM nonsense then reap the whirlwind.

10. Any drips see a plumber.

As my old Sgt Major used to say "Hic". He liked a beer at weekends.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

"Oi Vey"
Nothing like a sentence when a paragraph will do is there Rogue?
Thought this was done and dusted.
I'm going to have a Stella or ten. :drinking:
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Reading an essay on private messages is the last thing I want to do. :wink:
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
flighty

Post by flighty »

So speak to your mate. Or promulgate yourself into oblivion.

Promulgate awayeeeeeeeee.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

This subject is about as exciting and dramatic as the average episode of Coronation Street. :roll: Take the meaning of that however you like. ;)
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Or promulgate yourself into oblivion.
That's your speciality, not mine.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
flighty

Post by flighty »

Really?

Don't think so.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Bizarre. The issue crops up on another thread and there are plenty of comments. Now it has its own thread and the ideas dry up.

Wholley, my apologies. But it seemed it was turning into a good, robust discussion and was detracting from the the original thread.

Sometimes even I get it wrong.

As my old Sgt Major used to say, "Never give up, never surrender". Stirring stuff from the old warhorse.
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

":roll: Is it that time already?"
Wise words from some geezer on here.
flighty

Post by flighty »

Wise words from an old geography teacher and by the way I never took geography. He was just a silly old git who never knew who was supposed to be in his class ....

''Every time I open my mouth some idiot speaks.''

:multi:
Tab

Post by Tab »

If it can be said in the forum then that is were it should be posted. If you wish to have a quite word with some one then you PM them. If you have enough sense yo wont say any thing that could be used against you.