Share This Page:

achnacarry Commando training

Rekindle old friendships, reunite with lost & found.
mattgyorgy75

achnacarry Commando training

Post by mattgyorgy75 »

Dont mean to sound cheeky but have a few questions on training at Achnacarry castle during the second world war.

Was it used exclusivly for Commando training? or would it accomodate other branches of the armed forces?

Is there a list available of training casualties?

My reason for asking is my granfather enlisted into the Lincolnshire regiment 16/04/1942 then was posted to the 8th battalion, the parachute regiment 07/08/1942

During his time with the paras he did training with weapons with the royal artillary and then in october 1943 was transferred to the royal scots fusiliers. In december 1943 was in a convelescent home in balmoral after serious injuries recieved???? and was out of action until june 1944 when he re joined the 8th para battalion just in time for d-day.

I remember years ago he mentioned fort william and he climbed ben nevis when training. but like a lot of these guys he never talked about it, just odd little comments now and again.

Im pretty sure he did the 6 week course in Achnacarry but got seriously wounded during one of the live fire exercises but looking for a way to confirm this, would be great if i could somehow get hold of a accident report, but would be happy with casualty list just to confirm. Slowly peicing together his history during ww2.

As he didnt finnish course (due to him being wounded) im guessing he didnt recieve his gren beret and was RTU back to the Paras. or would the paras be training there aswel?

would be great if someone could point me in the right direction, all the best.
Tab

Re: achnacarry Commando training

Post by Tab »

The best thing is to apply for his military Records, you can get the details of the web
Rover

Post by Rover »

Admit nothing. Deny everything.
mattgyorgy75

Post by mattgyorgy75 »

Yeah, i have the military records, medals..etc..etc, would just like to confirm he was on the commando course at Acracarry (fort william) and training casualty list. militar records just show regiments served in and although hes no longer living im unsure if i can get the full records. (im maternal grandson) cheers. Biggest jigsaw puzzle ever, peices just dont fit.
Tab

Post by Tab »

You could try some of the Regimental museums and the main record office at Kew in London