Share This Page:

Got my kit

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
gt1980

Got my kit

Post by gt1980 »

Hey all.

I got my kit issued to me last night and it's fair to say that there is a sh*t load of stuff, I'll have to get a shed to put it all in :D
Ideally i want to get a bit of a head start on the knowledge front before i go for my first selction/training weekend.
So what i'm after knowing is:
1) Is there a partcular order in which you have the little bags on the webbing i.e ammunition bag, utility bag, water carrier??
2)what stuff do you carry in your bergen? e.g sleeping bag, sleeping mat, mess tins etc.
3) what do you wear as i've been given loads of different bits of clothing e.g anti static t-shirt. thermal shirt, fleece, lightweight jacket, smock etc

These might sound like stupid questions but i want to make a good impression but mainly it'll make me feel more confident and relaxed about my first weekend. 8)
BARB: PASSED; 76
BASIC SKILLS: PASSED
Interview 1: PASSED 04/03/09
Interview 2: waiting
Wanting to join the Royal Artillery as Gunner UAV Operator.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

A NCO in cadets force in my local town (witch i attended) who left the L.I and joined the cadets (for some reason) said that the best way to have webbing packed is (old soldier 95webbing).

From front to rear order.

front left and right - Magazine
Ammo
Small amount of rations
First Aid
Last - Water proofs

Bergan from bottom up (How i was told its done in cadets)

Spare cloths
Spare kit
Sleeping bag
Mess tins
Roll mat
Basher/pegs bungies
Rations
water proofes.

Depending on the season i know in summer we was told to wear shirt sleeves, shirts with the sleeves rolled up.

winter Shirt/Fleece/Smock.

Mind you that's how cadets do it it's probably different and i'll be corrected on it sharpish, but that's better than knowing nothing.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Another thing I'll add, you are taught how to pack your gear no doubt, but i would go on the idea that some of it is down to common sense/ease, i.e common sense to have something you'll need immediately in easy reach i.e ammo would be on the front of your webbing so you don't have to fiddle round your back for it. same with bergan, kit you'll need to hand or next or something on the top.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

well i have to say you guys have shed some light on this issue for me thanks.

I have two ammo pouches, 1 utility and 1 water carrier.

obviously i'll sort my bbergen out to how you have it as thats a million times better to how i've got it at the mo. :lol:

My sleeping bag is in one them compression sacks and if i stick in the bergen it pretty much fills it or is it me being a bit of a simp. :-? I thought whether it could be slung under the bergen as my sleeping mat is strapped to the top
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

yeah same here. i done away with the compression bag and just kept sleeping bag inside the bivvi and stuffed it into the bergen. ideal for when you have to 'bug' out a and leave the area your laid up in sharpish.
'Every man an Emperor'
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

You will be shown how to pack your webbing and Bergen pretty early on In training, and from there you will add little personal touches.

The way I was shown In basic and the way I have done It ever since, dump the compression sack keep the sleeping bag In the bivi bag, when you want to put It In your Bergen grab the closed end (end where your feet go) and the spin It so It twist all the way down and gets rid of any air In It, then stuff It Into your Bergen.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Never had that problem all we had was a gas cape and a light weight blanket and that did you summer and winter for sleeping in.
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

i see what you mean about the compression sack as it does take a lot of faffing around to get it in and squashed down. I think you'd have to sit on it to get it to the size of a basketball, might have a go though.

With the bergen, shouldn't it have a belt around the waist, it has the clips for it but i've nothing to clip on to it.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

it should have a hip belt and clips attached. however when your hoofing god knows how much kit and weight the last thing you want is that thing squeezing the life out of you. i never used it. if you decide not to then wind all loose straps up and wrap them in green or black tape so everything is squared away neat and you aint looking like a bag o sh*te with straps flappin about all over. ;o)
'Every man an Emperor'
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

Going back to another post, one of you mention 'goretex'. what is it?????
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

google it! its a breathable waterproof fabric which allows the passage of water vapour i.e sweat but is waterproof to the elements.Goretex is a brand name which apparently has a life time garantee of waterproofness. so if you have some walking boots and after a year or so they suddenly leak (and they have a goretex liner) take them back and you will get a new pair! trust me!
'Every man an Emperor'
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

PAGreenwell wrote:
In the side pouches I have my wash kit and boot cleaning kit, towel etc and in the other I have my shelter sheet, bungees and tent pegs with my cooker and fuel.
I put my goretex in the inside zip pouch under the top flap.

Obviously this isnt extensive but they are the main things I feel. I hope this is of some use, however there are bound to be variations between different units.
google it! its a breathable waterproof fabric which allows the passage of water vapour i.e sweat but is waterproof to the elements.Goretex is a brand name which apparently has a life time garantee of waterproofness. so if you have some walking boots and after a year or so they suddenly leak (and they have a goretex liner) take them back and you will get a new pair! trust me!
Yeah I figured that. :lol: i knew that goretex was a brand just like thinsulate and teflon and things, thats why i was a bit confused as to what PAGreenwell is refering to when he says goretex and it was mentioned 'goretex' during tonights brief.
I think it's safe to assume they mean waterproofs i.e trousers and smock etc.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

yeah in that context - waterproof jacket/overtrousers.
'Every man an Emperor'
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

gunner75 wrote:yeah in that context - waterproof jacket/overtrousers.
cheers matey