Share This Page:

RM Thomas Curry, 42 Commando

Book of Condolences & Obituaries - Express your sympathy, lest we forget.
SO19

RM Thomas Curry, 42 Commando

Post by SO19 »

Marine Thomas Curry killed in Afghanistan
14 Jan 07

It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Royal Marine Thomas Curry in Afghanistan on Saturday 13 January 2007.

Marine Curry died when elements of 42 Commando Royal Marines were engaged in a deliberate offensive operation near Kajaki, in Northern Helmand, Afghanistan.

The Royal Marines Commandos were engaged in close-quarter fighting with the Taleban, and it was during this action that Marine Curry was killed. He died instantly as a result of enemy small arms fire.

In typical fashion, Marine Curry was leading his comrades courageously from the front when he came under enemy fire, whilst in the process of clearing an enemy compound. His section had already come under fire from a depth position, so the Marines had moved forward to close with the enemy.

The Commander of the UK Task Force, Brigadier Jerry Thomas, said:

"I send my sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family and to his friends. They have lost a much loved member of their family and a good friend and my thoughts are with them at this difficult time."

Marine Thomas Curry

Marine Curry from East London, aged 21, was born on 1 Jan 1986. He joined the Royal Marines on 16 May 2005.

It was during his initial commando training that Marine Curry was awarded the Commando Medal, having been voted by his peers as the man whose character best reflected the Commando qualities of unselfishness, leadership, determination, and cheerfulness in the face of adversity.

On passing out from training, Tom, known as ‘Vinders’ (Vindaloo) to his troop, joined 11 Troop M Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines in February 2006.

He held true to the Commando values and quickly earned himself a reputation for looking after his colleagues and lending a helping hand whenever he could.

After an intense period of operational training with his Unit, he deployed to Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

A tower of physical and mental strength, Marine Curry stood out as a man who could be relied on to see a task through, most recently demonstrating this dogged determination under the most challenging conditions of the battlefield, where his selfless disposition made him a cornerstone of the team in which he served.

Although he was only a year out of training, Marine Curry had already demonstrated his potential to excel in his career in the Royal Marines through both his professional competence and rich personal attributes.

Renowned in his Company for his enormous appetite, Marine Curry was the first to laugh at jokes at his own expense and never missed an opportunity to cheer the lads up and raise morale.

He was very close to his family and to his girlfriend, and often told his friends about how much he loved and missed them. On operations he wrote and received many letters from friends and family – he was obviously loved very much.

His Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Matt Holmes Royal Marines, said:

"The tragic loss of Marine Curry is felt deeply by all, a reflection of what he brought to life and all those who knew him. Tom died displaying the qualities so typical of him, that had rapidly earned him the respect of his colleagues.

"He was at the front, courageously closing with the enemy, with no thought for his own safety, just that of his colleagues who were close by. He was a glowing example of what a Royal Marine represents: courageous, robust and highly professional. That he carried these qualities as a young man into the dangers of battle speaks volumes, and we are all immensely proud of him.

"Tom was also a self-effacing, utterly unselfish and cheerful individual, never slow to have a laugh at his own expense. His country has lost a brave, selfless servant who contributed much in his short time. In the close-knit community that is his Company and Commando unit, we feel his loss deeply, but our thoughts and prayers right now are with Tom's family and girlfriend at this difficult time."
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... nistan.htm
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Rest in Peace.

My condolences to all his family and friends.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Rest in Peace, Royal

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
HarryAVFC

Post by HarryAVFC »

RIP
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Rest Easy Royal.

I understand that a Marine from 45cdo lost his life just yesterday.
I don't have any details.

At The Going Down of the Sun and in the Morning,
We WILL Remember Them.

Wholley.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

A sad loss for all.

RIP
owdun

Post by owdun »

Fine young men ,losing their lives for the sake of BLiars legacy. May the Lord bring him to justice.

RIP gentlemen.

Aye Owdun.
Dogwatch

Post by Dogwatch »

RIP Tom, condolences to your family and friends.
You were only supposed to blow the Bloody Doors Off....
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

A truly sad loss, to his friends, family and his nation.

The greatest gift, that a man should lay down his life for his friends.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

What a sad loss - and what a grand example -

Rest well.
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]