Share This Page:

Miniature Armed Vehicle

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
philbowers

Miniature Armed Vehicle

Post by philbowers »

I am a final year Product Design Engineering student and am undertaking a design project to develop a small, manned armoured vehicle capable of providing fire support for infantry units. I would greatly appreciate some input from soldiers who have experience in urban warfare scenarios or tank operation to help shape the design of this vehicle.
I particularly need input on

- How often are you unable to advance upon an enemy position due to hostile fire and what strategies are used to overcome it.

- What strategies are used when pinned down by enemy infantry fire.

- How often vehicle support is required and not available due to current vehicle size limitations (i.e. narrow alleys) or vehicle unavailability.

- How safe do you feel entering a hostile confined urban environment and would having miniature tank support help.

- What calibre weapon would be most effective in a confined urban environment.

- Would you feel comfortable operating a tank using camera input and computer screens

- Would you feel safe in a tank the size of a small car and/or being the only operator

- What sort of weapons are generally encountered in urban environments.

Thanks.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I wonder what would happen if the opposition have a radio jammer
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Sorry mate the Wehrmacht did this one already - it was called 'Goliath' and was a r/c miniature tank containing a h.e. charge. Worked until the element of surprise wore off.

Of course this was before the widespread use of e.c.m.

Reading your questions, I may be mistaken but to answer them on open forum, might make the person replying in breach of the OSA and make them very unpopular with the head shed. Apart from which, it is a well-known fact the UBL is a regular reader, and we wouldn't want to be giving away any more clues, now would we?

Or in plainer english - CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES.

Read all the right publications- - easily available to someone like yourself, in the 'trade' - and all your questions will be answered.
Alfa

Re: Miniature Armed Vehicle

Post by Alfa »

philbowers wrote:- How safe do you feel entering a hostile confined urban environment
Come on you've got to be kidding right?

What answer would you expect to get............ I've never felt so safe as when I was surrounded by people who wanted to kill me armed to the teeth with RPG's, machine guns and AK47's, certainly beats walking down a white sandy beach on some exotic island any day :o

Pity they don't have common sense courses at Universities.
_chris

Post by _chris »

:-? Unless I'm reading his original post wrong its not an RC device hes building but a mini tank?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Alfa wrote:
philbowers wrote:- How safe do you feel entering a hostile confined urban environment
Come on you've got to be kidding right?

What answer would you expect to get............ I've never felt so safe as when I was surrounded by people who wanted to kill me armed to the teeth with RPG's, machine guns and AK47's, certainly beats walking down a white sandy beach on some exotic island any day :o

Pity they don't have common sense courses at Universities.
I feel just great entering a hostile confined urban envoronment! Not knowing where or when you are going to get ambushed next :roll:

Agreed Alfa...compulsory Common Sense Courses Universities worldwide!
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Sounded something like it to me Chris.....at my age you don't read all the words anyway.

How about a Peugeot 206 with a minigun?
Tab

Post by Tab »

There was even a 10 ten ton tank used by the airborne forces in WW2. a right proper job it was as well.
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

The Tetrarch - designed to be deployed from a glider.

Used on D-Day, I think I've seen photos of it used in France.
Tab

Post by Tab »

There is one in Bovington Tank museum
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

philbowers wrote:I am...undertaking a design project to develop a small, manned armoured vehicle capable of providing fire support for infantry units.
Why bother when unmanned versions, controllable by remote/GPS etc., already in development?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Tab

Post by Tab »

A ten ton Tank used in WW2. Carried by glider

anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

H: You don't get rid of me that easily! Anyway, I'll have Gucci 'net out there... faster than snot off a whip!

None of that mainland Vancouver tripe if you don't mind. It's Victoria for me! http://www.tourismvictoria.com/ I'll be out there 1 July; just in time for the FIFA under 20 World Cup. Looks like I'll be getting a place just north of Vic, in Shawnigan Lake. http://www.vancouverisland.com/Regions/towns/?townID=42 . All I need is for the clowns in Ottawa to get of their butts and auth my house hunting trip and I'll be good to go!