Share This Page:

Consequences of drug use in the Army

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
df2inaus

Consequences of drug use in the Army

Post by df2inaus »

These men are from the French-speaking Royal 22nd Regiment of the Canadian Army, a sister regiment of the Royal Welch Fusiliers.
They are unofficially known as "The Teflon Regiment." A Regiment to which scandal does not stick. Due to ever-sensitive relations between Canada and Quebec, there is always paranoia about someone crying "discrimination."

The army drug policy will not face a tougher test than this.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/02/05/va ... rugs040205
VALCARTIER, QUE. - Seventeen soldiers at the Valcartier military base in Quebec have tested positive for illicit drug use, scuttling plans to send them to Afghanistan.

"The chain of command is now taking appropriate preventive measures to ensure the safety of troops deployed in Afghanistan," Lt.-Col. Bernard Ouellette, acting commander of 5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, said in a statement.

Urine samples submitted by two other soldiers not bound for Operation Athena in Afghanistan also showed signs of drug use.

All 19 soldiers face disciplinary measures that could include dismissal from the Canadian Forces, the Department of National Defence said.

Acting on a tip, military police used drug-detecting dogs to search lockers and offices at the base this week. They found and confiscated a small amount of drugs.

A total of 29 soldiers in the 3rd Battalion of the Royal 22nd Regiment submitted urine samples to be tested for a variety of unspecified drugs. Ten of the samples were clear of drugs.
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

OK, given that this was the result of a sampling of the regt (after all, only 30 troops were tested, not the entire bn), the potential (if you buy the literal stats correlation) is that 60% of the Bn is on drugs.

Sounds about right for th Vandoos. Tabernac!!!!

As I have mentioned before, I'm in the reserves now. My CO is the principal (headmaster) of a school in Calgary. The other day some kids reported that a bunch of weed had been found on the grass i front of thre school. For some wacky reason (God only knows why), he instructed these pre-teens to get bags and go out and clean it up, then put it on his desk (I guess he was having an "off day").

An hour or so later, he was showing a group of parents around the school, opens up his office door to see about 20 pounds of weed spread out all over his table like a bloody drying operation! He had some explaining to do.

Pretty funny.

The Vandoos whogot busted should be canned as an example. We dn't need pot heads walking about with live ammo.

Having said that, we had our fair share of hard corps pisheads in Cyprus. Quite a few guys ended on the spin cylce at CMH. I once pointed out to one of the lads that his pint was flat. Turns out he had a pint of Keo brandy (not easy to get a head on that!). Stupid git! I don't have time for wasters like that.
got1

Post by got1 »

Went to Fort Campbell [Kentucky] on advance party for my unit.
The lads blew a fuse when on landing they lined us up and went down the ranks with sniffer dogs looking for drugs. It was unheard then for any of our guys to be using, but for them it was quite common.
Some of us were a bit worried though because we still had the old J packs issued in Aden[they contained morphine]. One lad got pulled out , we though the dogs had found a J pack, it hadn't, his old spice had brokenin his kit.
df2inaus

Drugs

Post by df2inaus »

got1,

Forget the morphine, he should have been busted for using Old Spice! :lol:
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
Fow22

Post by Fow22 »

Any Canadian guys hear about the blokes from 12 Service (Circus) Batallion in B.C. Apparently one of their Sgt's and some more junior guys were busted smuggling a large amount of marijuana into the states in an army vehicle. I think it was a few years ago now.
Cheers, Kyle.
The best thing about high school girls is I keep getting older but they stay the same age.
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

Yes FOW22, I remeber the incident, I am sure glad I wasn't one of those guys. (Not that I would ever do such a thing :fadein:.)

I think it was just the Sgt. who was sentanced however or at least I believe it was just him. If memory recalls he was doing time in the states and since he was using a military vehicle, on Army time etc he was under the code of service discipline. So this means when he is done his time there he gets to come back and do time in Military Prison up here. Having spent 3 days there for being absent due to not taking the earliest flight back becuase of bad weather I had a very very uncomfortable time there. Drill all over the place, I asked for a glass of water. And had to stand at attention in my cell for something that felt like 3 hours although probably closer to 30 minutes until someone got on the speak and said "No." And I was just there because of being something like 6 hours late to report in this was before they gave me a hefty fine.

Makes me think I've been charged 3 or 4 times now I had better watch it :o.
Why the hell did I make Sgt :-?. Oh well lifes a bitch then you marry one good times all in all.
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.
mercury

Post by mercury »

"Only" been charged twice myself......so far !
"certa cito"
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

As long as you ain't in the stock for more then a few days it's just an adventure.

But you know what they say about friends?
A friend will say "Hey, mate it's time to stop."
Your best friend will be sitting with you in the stockade saying "Man, we f****d up." :D :D
Fow22

Post by Fow22 »

The only time I've been apprehended by the MP's was last August. When we had leave on my Infantry course we went downtown (JD's baby) and got plastered, on the way back, an MP car was following me and my mate on the long stretch of road at the gates to the base in Wainwright. In our drunken stupor we decided it would be a brilliant idea to break contact and head for the nearest field. What we didn't know was that it was the infamous "Buffalo Paddock." We weren't hiding nearly as well as we thought and the MP's shone their lights on us and pleaded with us to come back over the fence. Took us back to the MP building and asked us a few questions about why we took off, eventually they just took us back to barracks, no charge or anything, just a funny story.
Cheers, Kyle.
The best thing about high school girls is I keep getting older but they stay the same age.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Fow22: Personally, I'd have left you in the Buffalo paddock. Nothing like a little late night entertainment. My money would have been on the bison!
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

I would warn you about the bulls mate they can nearly fly there so friggin fast. Note, when they say don't go to Wuzzy's they mean it :o.
Three Sgts 4 Master Jacks and about 10 black eyes, 2 broken noses and many many cuts later. Sitting in the MP shack trying to bargain with the on on duty man. Ahh memories, didn't get charged that time. Plus I have the added benefit of being English, hence I have an accent, the beauty of this of course being should the RCMP grab me for anything minor they just drop me off at the gates. Should the Canadian MPs grab me they might tell me to bugger off or hand me over to the British MPs where upon I display my Canadian ID and they let me wander off. It's all in the tongue chaps.
Hyperlithe

Re: Consequences of drug use in the Army

Post by Hyperlithe »

You're allowed to think what you like, but it's completely banned in the military and unlikely to change any time soon. The Army might want snowflakes but they don't want stoners...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Devid

Re: Consequences of drug use in the Army

Post by Devid »

Pretty funny.

The Vandoos whogot busted should be canned as an example. We dn't need pot heads walking about with live ammo.

Having said that, we had our fair share of hard corps pisheads in Cyprus. Quite a few guys ended on the spin cylce at CMH. I once pointed out to one of the lads that his pint was flat. Turns out he had a pint of Keo brandy (not easy to get a head on that!). Stupid git!