Share This Page:

British soldier killed in Afghanistan, Monday 19 May 2008

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
SO19

British soldier killed in Afghanistan, Monday 19 May 2008

Post by SO19 »

Rest easy mate.
British Soldier killed in Afghanistan on 19 May
A Military Operations news article

19 May 08

It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of a British soldier in Afghanistan today, 19 May 2008.

British forces were conducting operations in the Musa Qaleh area when a soldier patrolling on foot was caught in an explosion and tragically lost his life.

No one else was injured in the incident.

The soldier's family have been informed, and have asked for privacy as they come to terms with their loss.

The MOD will not be providing any further updates in line with the wishes of the family, who are in our thoughts at this difficult time.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... n19May.htm
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Heffernan

Post by Heffernan »

RIP Soldier!
HCR

Post by HCR »

RIP Brother
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Rest Easy Mate.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
df2inaus

British Soldier killed 19 May 2008

Post by df2inaus »

I found out late last night that unnamed soldier was someone I worked with in the TA for a year in 2001-02. He was a very nice, intelligent young man with a great sense of humour and even better sense of discipline. I won't mention his name until its public. We were never close friends, but a few little things he did just stand out and I feel I must mention them.

Please, if any of the veterans feel its inappropriate to go into details like this let me know and I'll edit or delete this post.

When I found out he was taking time out from his civilian job in IT to go to Afghanistan last year I was a bit surprised. Turns out he'd been training to get into an elite unit at our TA Centre for some time. On training weekends in Darlington he was one of the only people who would go running with me at night. Never had the slightest idea what his plans were, I thought he just wanted to keep fit.

He was seven years younger than me and taught me a few things. Being the pragmatic Canadian that I am, I once ordered a half pint in the mess when a taxi was waiting because I couldn't sink a full one in time. He quickly grabbed the glass and dumped it into an empty regular pint glass and walked away without explaining, it took me a while to realise why he'd done it. I remember another night when I was dropping him off, he invited me out in Leeds with his friends from uni to a student bar. I thought I was too old and politely declined, then realized afterward not many university aged people would have asked an older working person to come out with them.

When I was at Sandhurst having a tough time, I got a text out of nowhere asking me if they'd turned me into a toff. Well-needed comic relief.

My son has the same first name as him. Mostly a coincidence though he was the first person that came to mind when my wife suggested the name (also her uncle's).

In true 2000's form, tributes are beginning to appear on his facebook wall. I'm sure he truly enjoyed was enjoying what he was doing and I hope his death was instantaneous.
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman