Share This Page:

Suez 1956

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
Tab

Suez 1956

Post by Tab »

This News Item
courtesy of

Veterans Of Suez Say Sacrifices Ignored

Sunday, September 17, 2006

A national day of recognition is sought on the campaign's 50th anniversary.

British veterans have attacked the government for failing to mark the 50th anniversary of the Suez Crisis. Anniversaries of both world wars, and other conflicts, have been commemorated by major national events involving cabinet ministers and royalty.

But veterans of Suez believe that their sacrifices have been forgotten because the crisis remains a political embarrassment.
Arthur Cheesman, who served in the Royal Engineers during the occupation, said that next month's anniversary would be the right time to honour the veterans of Suez, but the government had ignored them.

'It's disgusting,' he said. 'If the government was to give it a day of recognition, that would be something, but there's nothing whatsoever. It's been forgotten for 50 years and now it's raising its ugly head and nobody likes it.'
Cheesman, 75, vice-president of the Brompton barracks Suez and Middle East Veterans Club, added that Suez had been a mistake that politicians would rather bury. 'It was a cock-up from start to finish and hundreds died for no reason. We went out on false pretences. We were young soldiers and we did what we were told but, like Afghanistan now, we were in something we shouldn't be. When you look back you can see it: Mr Eden must have been out of his tiny mind. It's been neglected because it's something they don't want to elaborate on.'

The Ministry of Defence denied it had snubbed the veterans. A spokeswoman said that Tom Watson, the then veterans minister, attended a 50th anniversary event in May at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire. She said the MoD funded a fly-past, a band and a team to help with logistics, adding: 'Although the event was hosted and organised by the Suez Veterans Association, it was funded and resourced by MoD.'

But this claim was rejected by David Hickman, 72, secretary of the association in London and the south east: 'The MoD are being a bit cheeky to claim the credit. I know because I had to take it on and organise it myself with the committee. There was not very much support from the government. They did provide some funding, but it wasn't a great deal and we had to rely on a lottery grant. We would like an event in October or November as well. I did have a word with the Prime Minister when I met him at Number 10, but we didn't say too much about it. I am not a political person, but I do think some effort should have been made. It was still a battle, still a war, still active service, and a lot of men died.'

The emergency first arose in 1951 because of a confrontation between Britain and Egypt, partly over demands to evacuate a major military base, which led to riots and anti-British violence by guerrillas. It was a hot and hostile posting for thousands of British troops, many of them conscripts. Egyptian nationalisation of the Suez canal then led to the 1956 conflict. In 2003 the veterans learnt that, after a campaign lasting nearly half a century, they would finally be recognised with a general service medal.

Asked if there should be an official commemoration next month, Gerald Howarth, the Conservative defence spokesman, said: 'I think there should. Suez was a seminal moment in post-war British history and not our most glorious moment. It was a reminder of the extent to which the United States calls the shots. It emphasised the importance of having an independent foreign policy, which we don't have at the moment.

'Militarily we had won, then the US pulled the rug out on us and France. There are lessons the British government hasn't learnt and doesn't want to remember, so it's not surprising that it isn't keen to commemorate it this year.'

The MoD spokeswoman said it was unfair to compare Suez with last year's nationwide celebrations of the end of the Second World War. 'You're talking about a world war campaign that affected the whole country and touched almost everyone's lives,' she said. 'We held the first annual Veterans Day earlier this year and provided funding to regions so they could organise their own events.'

Last gasp of empire

Egypt's Suez Canal Zone, of strategic importance, was occupied by Britain between 1951 and 1954 as a legacy of empire. More than 200,000 troops were harassed by guerrillas: 300 died.

Two years after Britain's 1954 withdrawal, Colonel Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalised the canal. Britain and France - having struck a secret deal with Israel - began a bombing campaign on 31 October, 1956, and a week later carried out a full-scale invasion. Under US pressure, they were forced into a humiliating withdrawal which led to the resignation of Sir Anthony Eden.

The Times said of Eden on his death: 'He was the last Prime Minister to believe Britain was a great power and the first to confront a crisis which proved she was not.

For more information click on or go to http://www.guardian.co.uk
© Guardian Unlimited 2006
terryrat

Post by terryrat »

I joined marines just after suez so know quite a lot of blokes who were there mainly 43 cdo. I think maybe they would like it remembered too I would cretainly sign or support any petition that was started :wink:
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Terryrat

Are you sure you mean '43 Cdo'? They weren't involved at Suez, as I don't think they were a 3 Cdo Bde RM formation at that time.

Rotary
[img]http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/Snoopy.gif[/img] So far.....so good........but watch your six!
JR

Post by JR »

:roll: Terryrat........there was no 43 Commando at Suez,Age shall not weary us, just senior moments???? there was myself 40 Commando,42 Commando,and of course the 'Hooligans' Four Five Commando , HQ 3rd Commando Brigade,Ships detachments and Assault squadrons plus a few hangers on???.Aye jr :soldier_thumbs_up:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
HarryAVFC

Post by HarryAVFC »

JR wrote:and of course the 'Hooligans' Four Five Commando
How come 45 are the 'hooligans'.
terryrat

Post by terryrat »

Yes complete balls up there got mixed up with Aden conflict :oops: