Share This Page:

10 Mile Endurance March (Para)

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Mal

10 Mile Endurance March (Para)

Post by Mal »

I need to be able to complete a 10mile march with webbing and 35lb bergen and weapon in about 1hr 50min. Using GPS my speed is round about 3-4mph. Not at all fast enough but I cant walk any faster than that!!! Should I be running with my bergen? Last time I tried, the next morning my calfs killed big time and took a few days of rest to cure it all. Do you actually run/jog on the battle march or what? You must do to make the time????

If you do have to run, how can I avoid injuring myself each and every time? Do I just need to do more bergen training or what?

Mal
RobT

Post by RobT »

Surely you'd go in and out of quick time and double timing?
Rob
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Ten miles in 1:50 is a little under a 11 min mile or 5.5 MPH. Either way you cut this one, you need to haul ass! The average man's brisk walking pace is 4 MPH or a 15 min mile, so you can see that you need to go much faster than a "brisk walking pace" just to meet the minimum standard. A "forced" march pace usually includes alternate running and tabbing. Get used to really stretching those legs and put your arms to use to get some momentum going. When you see the lads tabbing, their arms are going like the clappers, straight and across the body. It helps a lot! Try tabbing for five lampposts and them running for five and so on, it will really cut your time down. No pain, no gain!

If your legs are hurting, try a very hot bath with about a pound of Epsom salts dissolved in it. It works wonders for aching muscles.

Make sure you are doing your stretching before and immediately after your tabbing sessions. One sure way to screw yourself up is by having shortened muscles because you haven't been stretching (not saying you haven't been, but you get my point). Also, stretch your hamstrings in that hot bath - works well.

Put some Sorbothane insoles in your boots to reduce the shock going through your legs.

Keep pushing. You'll get there!
Last edited by anglo-saxon on Wed 07 Apr, 2004 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
got1

Post by got1 »

Forced marching pace could be a killer especially if your a short arse. You could always hear the sigh of relief when you heard the order "break into double time, double march".
Mal

Post by Mal »

I'm 5ft 7 and my legs arnt that long :( so I get nowhere compared to those taller than me!!! Same with running! Im a very good runner, but if I was a bit taller, id be a WICKED runner. My time for the 1.5mile is 8:32, bet I cud really cut that down :(
got1

Post by got1 »

Mal, don't get lathered up about it,you will be ok.
There used to be an inter platoon competition called The Evelyn Woods, and the time for the 10 miler was a lot less than that, and that was with platoon weapons.
Mal

Post by Mal »

I think I would be OK, but its just how my muscles keep messin up everytime I run with a bergen. I think I will have to start doing some stretching sessions or something :-?
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Seeing Pathfinder Platoon going hell-for-leather along the Ridgeway was an eye-opener. Those guys could bloody move!
Tab

Post by Tab »

We used to split our platoon into two, there was the giants and the midgets. The reason for this was we could set out best stride length to suit the chaps in each unit. The best time we ever did for a 10 mile march was 70 minutes in full kit with weapons. We marched from I think it was Andover to Bulford camp on Salisbury Plain, Then it was onto Boscombe Down for some display jumps.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
mike_B

Post by mike_B »

Anglo Saxon you're maths needs a little bit of work.

It's 11 MINUTE MILES, and 5.5 MILES PER HOUR. Easy to mix them up but there's quite a big difference!

Mike
sittingstress

Harsh but Fair

Post by sittingstress »

Whichever way you look at it stop bunting and run. I would reassess your opinions of being a great runner if you are pushing an 8:32 mile and a half. At your age and aspirations I wuld say that is in the lower end of average.
Top tip for Bergen running: do lots, then do more. I am 38 and still banging out 10 kms with 55lb over the Chilterns every weekend. If you are in the locale and care to join me then feel free. I will shed 20lbs and we can give it a go. A training partner is invaluable.

Regards

ss
Per Ardua
Mal

Post by Mal »

Only way I will get a training partner is if I find someone from my area. Thats like Catterick Garrison / Yorkshire Dales. Still, I guess this area is as good as any to train in, even if im training solo :roll:

Mal
Sully

Post by Sully »

Not at all fast enough but I cant walk any faster than that!!!
You need to try a bit harder then, scrote :wink:
Per Flank, Per Tank
The JaCkAl

Post by The JaCkAl »

You just need to lean forward and swing your arms in an exaggerated fasion, and really go for it with your legs trying to use your thigh muscle instead of your calfs if you know what I mean...
[img]http://www.terravista.pt/nazare/1382/armas/tanque04.gif[/img] "Stop dreaming and start training and you could look like me" [img]http://www.mingers.com/images/menu_pics/menu_pic_weekclassic.gif[/img]
sittingstress

Disbelief

Post by sittingstress »

You are trying to tell me that you live NEAR Catterick and you can't get a training partner. Sounds to me like you lack determination. How are you gonna fare when the chips are down and someone says, "Come on then lets get it done"? I think you should reconsider your chosen career.

ss
Per Ardua