Share This Page:

Why, Mr. Recruiter..Why?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
WOW! That hurt.

Why, Mr. Recruiter..Why?

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

Every time I go into the AFCO, my recruiter always seems to make a special effort to play the Paras down often asking me why I want to be a "meat head" and sarcastically referring them as an "elite regiment" He also informs me every time I walk in there that I will never get to jump out a plane as the Airborne status is, today, purely decorative. Now, the fact someone says this doesn't bother me in any fashion, people say lots of things, but it's the motive that confuses me. He is a recruiter and I am a recruit. He knows that I am excited about this regiment and this regiment only. Is he just trying to test my confidence or is there some regimental rivalry I'm not grasping fully. Most people I know give the Paras a good rep. Is this not uniform throughout the forces?? or should i just assume a Para lad stole his Mrs :wink:
Ares-God of War

Re: Why, Mr. Recruiter..Why?

Post by Ares-God of War »

WOW! That hurt. wrote: is there some regimental rivalry I'm not grasping fully. Most people I know give the Paras a good rep. Is this not uniform throughout the forces?? :wink:
Well recruiters try to recruit you into their unit and in the army paras are disliked partly because they have this elite status. :evil: Its true that you are unlikely to be paracute trained.
i wont say anythig bad about the paras as there are a few on this forum and i dont want to get hurt. :wink:

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
timex

Post by timex »

I can only assume that the guy has some taste and is trying to get you into the Royal Marines........ :D :D

Its a joke OK...
Eagle9294

Post by Eagle9294 »

I'm going to guess he has alot of other slots to fill and alot of guys come in there hoping to be a Para.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

sorry why would he never get his wings? every blokes that gets to battalion is still going down to brize to get their wing and plus p coy is easy and getting ur wings is a peice of piss paras have their status because they have a bit of pride in what they do in the field its not because we do something buckshee like jump out of planes its what you do on the ground that counts .in my eyes every single soldier in the british army should be fit enought to pass p coy because you are a soldier at at the end of the day and fitness always wins at the end of the day
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Ill Echo Sky Ninja's comment. I couldnt be arsed with parachuting anyway to be honest. But when In the field I wanted to know and Learn Everything and to do it the best way. Contary to what the p*iss takers say the Parachute Regiment is the thinking mans Regiment. Yes it has its mongtards but in general when it comes to initiative and common sense we are second to no one. with regard to recruiters, dont make the same mistake I did. I too was put off after a good few years serving with 4 para when i tried to apply for the regs. Lard arse non entity sgt would not have any of it when I told him what i wanted to do i.e join the paras. I had a hissy fit in the recruit office and lost my cool and started ranting and raving at him thinking I was billy big bollox.So as you can imagine I was a bit embarrassed to go back for a while. By the time I did I was too old and had to settle for 2nd choice - not that that was a bad thing! Point is STICK 110% to your guns and dont be swayed or put off. If he carries on speak to another recruiter, go to another AFCO (and while your at it report him) explain your case or failing that phone the paras recruit line direct although im not sure if they still do it but they used to because they were having this kind of problem left right and centre off recruiters apparently.
'Every man an Emperor'