Share This Page:

christianity in the paras

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
danny-1990-P

christianity in the paras

Post by danny-1990-P »

This might not be the most popular subject but I'm thinking about leaving university as its boring and joining the Parachute Regiment and was just wondering, being a Christian myself, how accepting people are of it and if they treat you any differently? I'm not the sort of person to ram it down anyone's throat so don't know why I'd have a problem,but was just interested to see if anyone had any experience of it? Thanks!

Edited for obvious reasons.I know you are new to the site but texting is unacceptable.
Green Man

Post by Green Man »

Danny, wrong question in the wrong direction! Think about it!
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

in training I think you'll find it'll depend on who's in your section and platoon, it didn't make a difference for me, i found that people would often talk about God, on the rare occasions when we got some free time, i would read my bible openly and no-one said much about it. My cpl came it once an asked what i was reading, he just gave me a 'fair enough' kinda look. I could imagine if there weren't a couple of others who had some sort of belief, it might have been different.
I could see some people taking the mick if your whole section were atheists, but they'd be you're mates and it's likely to just be a joke.
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

p.s they dont like 'text speak' on this forum
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sorry_Mark_I just made your last post a little redundant :oops:
And who's this"They"?I thought we were all in this together. :P
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

No-one really cared about stuff like that when I was in training mate. Getting a chance to see the Pardre was mega, get some quality head down! :D

Some of the Fijian lads even got up at stupid o'clock in the morning to prey, didin't bother me as long as they didn't wake me up! :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
danny-1990-P

Post by danny-1990-P »

Sorry didnt know about the no 'texting' im new :roll: Thanks for the response though, think im going to go for it and leave uni, only in my first year anyway!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

My advise Dan is too stick with it,before you make the leap.
What are you studying?
danny-1990-P

Post by danny-1990-P »

Sports Development. Im enjoying the social life and the course isnt too bad but there is no practical and I am only in 11 hours a week which is costing me over £3000 a year and thats before accomodation and food. From what i hear aswell most employers will take experience over a degree??
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

A degree and life experience are both good things to a future employer.
You could finish your degree,take a year to travel and then join.
Are you in Halls?
danny-1990-P

Post by danny-1990-P »

ye in uni halls. I suppose i may stick it out, get a bit more life experience and possibly join as an officer, just have to make sure i kept the fitness up. I like the idea of traveling in a year out as well, once you join is their much chance to travel? I have seen the places you can get deployed but once there do you have the chance to explore a little?? I have also considered joining 4 para as I could keep this up whilst at uni, just need to think it through and make the best decision for me I suppose.. Thanks for the help
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

danny-1990-P wrote:once you join is their much chance to travel?
With 16AAB you will get to travel to sandy and mountainous places,and I don't mean Colchester :P
Stick with your degree,take some time out and the world will be your oyster.Unless you go for the Royal Marines in which case the world will be your cap badge.
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

My brother done that mate, got a degree and went travelling for a year or 2 around OZ, Thailand etc. Then he decided he wanted to join the army and he wanted to go in as a Officer. He passed out at Sandhurst in december and loves it. Apart from being in Brecon Beacons freezing cold lol
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Get your degree first mate, at the end of the day, no-one can take that away from you. So if everything goes tit's up with the forces, you will have something to fall back on! :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
Tab

Post by Tab »

Why not become an officer then you can bore them to death. No one cares what you are or who are as long as you can do your job and mix in with the lads. If you start preaching to them then they could be looked upon you in a different light