Share This Page:

An Ordinary Soldier - Doug Beattie

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
sw1warrior

An Ordinary Soldier - Doug Beattie

Post by sw1warrior »

The beauty of this book is that it is written by a bloke with a lifetime of stories to tell, not just one pivotal moment which he tries to stretch into 300 pages. Not surprising really given that he started as a lowly Irish Ranger and rose through the ranks to become RSM to Col Tim Collins in Iraq. But the historic stuff is still really on ly background to his time in Afghan in 2006 and the epic two-week battle for Garmsir. These were the days before we and the Americans were big in Helmand. There's a touch of the heroic failure about An Ordinary Soldier, but Doug and his handful of colleagues fought with tenacity and bravery even as the headless chickens at KAF didn't know which way to turn. For his exploits Doug won the MC. Part of the battle was captured on film by C4 documentary by Sean Langan - Fighting the Taliban. Should still be available to watch on YouTube.
Interestingly Beattie went back to Afghan in 2008. His experiences on that second tour form the basis for Task Force Helmand, the sequel to AOS.
Fair play to the bloke, Beattie is now back in Afghan for a third (and final?) time. Whatever you say about him - mad bugger, etc. - you can't fault his bravery and commitment. The writing is pretty damn good too.
Bravo

Re: An Ordinary Soldier - Doug Beattie

Post by Bravo »

I have read both the books and they are both awesome reads I like how honest and straight to the point he is no bull shit would recommend the books very highly.

I didnt know he had gone back for a third time as at the end of the second book he leaves the army are you sure about this?
sw1warrior

Post by sw1warrior »

Yes he definitely returned to Afghan, completing his third tour in March this year. How time flies, this week marks the fifth anniversary of the Battle of Garmsir where he won the Military Cross. Apparently Doug and his handful of colleagues remain the most decorated British Army patrol since Bravo Two Zero (one CGC, two MCs and two MiDs I think) since Bravo Two Zero. Unless anyone else knows better...
minpee

Post by minpee »

You shared a useful post and thanks for sharing this with us. Want to know more about the latest updates about technology? You can check this for more details.