Share This Page:

How best to help boyfriend suffering Combat PTSD

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
OrribleLittleWoman

How best to help boyfriend suffering Combat PTSD

Post by OrribleLittleWoman »

Hi I'm Louise and I recently joined this forum, as I had it reccommended. I've recently began a relationship with my boyfriend an ex Para (once a Para always a Para). The only thing is he's 150 miles away, but planned on moving closer to me, and eventually getting a place together, by the coast. Suddenly he's gone quiet on me, no comms, I'm just wondering if it's anything I've done, but he apologises and says he's suffering ptsd. I know that he's witnessed some sights that no one should have to see. I have so much love to give him. I just need to know the best way of helping him. I want to be there for him but don't want to come accross to pushy. I do hope that this relationship isn't over before it's really begun, but I know it's down to this wretched illness not my fella. ((((BIG HUGS))))to my poor Para, I feel so useless not being able to know how best to help him. Any advice please

Louise
Pilgrim Norway

Re: How best to help boyfriend suffering Combat PTSD

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Hello Louise,

As said on Fakebook Combat Stress is the place to go for assistance.

I suppose that he has already spoken to his GP for a diagnosis ?

I'll look for a Para colleague here and will be back.

Keep in touch with him and talk him through - we'll be back
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
OrribleLittleWoman

Post by OrribleLittleWoman »

I think maybe if I keep talking to him I'm worried I'm being too pushy, having a relationship (ie boyfriend/girlfriend or more) with him isn't important, but him feeling better & more able to cope is my no.1 priority. I know that sufferers of PTSD sometimes withdraw into themselves and shun company, so I'm not sure what best to do. I don't want him to think that I don't care, as I really really do.
Sock8918

Post by Sock8918 »

First of all, Good on you for sticking around and trying to help your boyfriend. Watching people turn their backs once you disclose the condition is enough to send you into a spin. If the world had more people who wanted to understand, it would be a much nicer place. Secondly, a GP can not diagnose PTSD, only a Psychiatrist. Combat Stress are the way to go for help, although they lack in policies and procedures of what to say to frinds and family.
Good luck to you. :-)