Share This Page:

PTSD

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
Bev

PTSD

Post by Bev »

Why is it that people with PTSD wont addmitt they need help they think the only solution is at the bottom of a bottle then leads to another bottle then before u no it theres nothing more u can do, also i would like to say why did many serving soldiers in the likes of the faulkland island and and the gulf war and others like belfast for instence why did the aemy not provide these men and women with the help they needed at the time and now its to late as we have lost that many to suiside through drink or anyother way of killin there selves i thin the army need to get there urse into gear and sort this out as it not on ruins the lives of the soldiers but the loved ones also thanks for listenin to me blabbling on x
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

I agree with you, of course :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Bev

Thanks

Post by Bev »

Thanks for ur comment i thought it was just me that thought like that but to be really honest its heartbreakin when u have to watch a member of ur family suffer, ive tried everything to get my brother help but its just not happening no one wants to know if anyone has any suggestions maybe use could pass them on please thanks again . oh im new to this so excuse the spelling :P
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Try the SSAFA organisation - they may be in the phone book, or have a look at the 'Soldier' magazine on-line, they have a lot of links to different organisations who may help. SSAFA may send a visitor to assess how your brother might be helped - but if he is not keen to talk or want to accept help, this could make things harder.

He needs to know that he is not alone, there are many thousands who have felt this way, who are trying to deal with this torment every day. The thing may be that, he may not feel able to talk to anyone who has not been in the same situation, so is reluctant to open up in case it all just falls apart, leaving him feeling even more vulnerable. So the drink is the only way he can dull his feelings.

You could try just leaving the pc on with this page or the site index page showing, so he notices it - it might catch his eye, and get him to start reading.

Best of luck to you, hope he finds some way forward.
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Got some good news today.
The Danish MoD has agree to pay for 10 therapy sessions and a 1 year membership of the local fitness center.

They are also trying to arrange a 1 week canue trip on the Swedish "Elvs" for my old Afghanistan platoon.
That's gonna be awesome, can't wait.
:D
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"
danialclarcke

Re: PTSD

Post by danialclarcke »

PTSD is a serious anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to a case that the results of psychological trauma. Since the effect of psychological trauma, PTSD is much more rare and more durable than generally seen with acute stress response. PTSD may cause physical or psychological trauma caused by humans, such as rapes, wars or terrorist attacks that the trauma caused by natural disasters. Possible sources of trauma are experienced or seen in childhood or adult physical abuse, emotional or sexual. Symptoms of PTSD can lead to a traumatic event to cause an overactive adrenal response, which creates a profound neurological models of the brain.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Pardon?
Would you like to expand in words of less syllables so us mortals can get a clue.
Tab

Post by Tab »

danialclarcke.......I don't know where every one are getting there ideas on all this, but much of this must be down to an individuals make up. Now I grew up during the war and saw all sorts of death and destruction, I even saw a bit combat and have walked away unaffected, and I have am still in touch with about 100 men from my old company and they are still okay. May be our early life experience harden us to all of this who knows. Am I saying that PTSD does not exist then the answer is no I am not. I knew an old soldier who was Arnhem who signed him self into a mental hospital when he was in his 80's as the memories of what he went through came back in a big way and he could not crying and and all he could see was the battlefield dead yet for some 60 odd years he had no problems at all. Still none of this is any thing like what you suggested happens.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

@ danialclarcke

I imagine that you are talking about stress as in civilian life an that all are open to experience it.

The type of stress that we attempt to help with in our own way here on this Forum is not to identify any symptons - that is the area of the sufferers GP - our roll is to point the sufferer in the right direction to receive competent help - hands on.

We can "talk through" sufferers from our own "Extended Family" from the Armed Services -
we can discuss what the sufferer has seen, lived through, has nightmares about etc etc.
Because we ARE family - we have all been there - even though we may not have suffered PTSD ourselves most of us have lived through the motions of it.

We can only encourage sufferers to leave the alcohol abuse - resist the taking out his/her problems on family - help them to protect their children - guard them from self hurt - and hopefully give them the confirmation of our interest in their problems -

We are simply what it says on the signpost "Listeners". We listen - We try - We give our time.

We have helped most of those who have contacted us - but unfortunately not all

If YOU, or someone you know, is suffering then contact us again .... We WILL be here.

It is ALWAYS worth a try .......
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]