Share This Page:

War Pensions

General chat about Military Finance, Pensions, etc.
El Prez

War Pensions

Post by El Prez »

I've been reading all the old stuff about war pensions, and it brings back a few memories, some advice may be useful for others to follow.
1)Every visit you ever made to the MO or killick medic is on your files. If you appeal a case you are entitled to a copy. write and request your med docs anyway as a reference. Then read them at least twice.
2)It may happen that the area manager for the Veterans/War Pensions agency may request a home visit. I was iffy about this but having nothing to hide I went along with it. He helped me and advised me that I was entitled to a lot more than the docs had discovered.
3)Home visits; most of the docs are functional and occassionaly disinterested. They write a report the same way a copper writes a statement. MAKE SURE THEY COMPLETE IT IN YOUR PRESENCE and then sign it. I was completely green when visited by a lady doc in Aberdeen, I had just had major spinal fusion at three levels, was learning to walk and could not sit, she dropped her pen in front of me to see if I would bend automatically to retrieve it. (Just made me laugh at her stupidity) She then made a few notes, and asked me to sign the form, stating she would complete the paperwork on her return to the office. Like an eejit I did just that and was horrified when I read her report. That took two years of appeal to resolve. My major argument against her case was that she had not examined me, but stated in her testimony she had. Moral... watch your back, try and have a friend or wife sit in and listen as your witness.

Don't be shy about this, it may go against your principles. but if you don't, be assurred some other bugger will. You are entitled to compensation for legitimate claims, so apply for it.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Jim T

Post by Jim T »

The WPA are nothing but scum!. They are a government controlled department who's remit is to treat servicemen and women with contempt. They should be dragged out into the street and shot.
Mutley

VA Docs

Post by Mutley »

To tell you the truth he could have written anything down on that report, I couldnt read a word of it. As for what else he put afterwards, anyones guess.......... couldn't help notice that he sat in his car scribbling for another 20 minutes!

Heard anything yet Jim?
Wein, weib und gesang

[img]http://www.hotink.com/wacky/m-ani.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Mutley

Some success

Post by Mutley »

Today is 5 weeks to the day since my examination. Between then I have had 5 'holding' letters from WPA... (We are dealing with your claim....... Your reference number is......... Any complaints contact ..............) Well imagine my surprise when that nice Miss Postie dropped me a note from the WPA saying that I have been assessed as 06-14% and my bank account would be credited with a gratuity within 7 days.

Tis a pitance, but until I saw this thread it was something I did not expect, and my bank manager desperately needs the coin. So thanks guys. At least I am on file now, as its bound to get worse.

(Oh and I can claim free prescriptions as long as its related solely to my accepted condition).
Wein, weib und gesang

[img]http://www.hotink.com/wacky/m-ani.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Mutley, Right first of all..

Are you happy with what they have given you???

If you are not, then.

KEEP the money.

And then put in for a re-assessment of the case.

You are allowed to do so and they always tell you that your assessment could go up as well as DOWN.

Note when investing they say your investments could go down as well as UP.

A good play on words!!!

Give us a bell mate

SyY
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Good morning Bootneck,

Yes I agree that a cheque for X£K is great but the WPA have a nasty habit of, when you ask for a reveiw, saying.
That is nothing to do with the injury it's just old age and a natural progression of the body cracking up. Go A way!

From what you have said it appears that you are happy with your lot!? Yes?

But a lot of blokes are not and have the very much uphill fight of trying to claim a "decent" amount for thier injuries.

One thing DO NOT USE A SLOICITOR, they charge you for a normal DSS claim.

If in doubt claim, if not happy, ask for a review, if still not happy, go for the tribunal.

It blocks the system up great!!!!
but gets your rights.

SyY

Post by Guest »

hi yorkie, hows things? wouldn`t say I was happy with the cheque, but it helps, I still have the dodgy knees, always will, and I would say that my claim went through fairly easy. I went down to navy days in Guz a couple of years ago, just happened to get hold of a copy of navy news, and in the back was this advert, with regards to injuries sustained whilst in HM Forces, gave them a bell and they sorted it out, think it cost me all told, a couple of hundred pounds, I`ll see if I can find the name of the people concerned as they deal a lot with WPA, and obviously know the short cuts/right people to talk to. If I remember right, you have to pay them an initial £50, like a registration fee, then away they go. like it said in an earlier thread, it pays to have the dates etc to hand, as they`ll try and NOT pay you a penny, maybe I was, one of the lucky ones, who knows.i`ll be back later, hopefully with the address

Post by Guest »

I think you`ll all agree, we would sooner be fit and healthy, than have knackered knees or whatever, but because some bean counter is sat in some office, (nice, safe and secure) because people like you and I, have put ourselves on the line, out all hours, in all weather, on public bank holidays, christmas day, new years eve/day, the very same bean counter says YOU ain`t getting Jack, it does make you wonder if it was worth it. the only time civvies are interested, is if its their gas station in warrington, or their pub in birmingham etc thats been blown up,doubt if in ten years time anyone (civvies) will remember FI`s, and you`ll still be trying to get what you are entitled too.
ratso

Post by ratso »

I could say a lot on this subject, the main thing though is that to pay someone two hundred pounds to sort out any claim is madness no matter how good they are.
Most of the Associations have advisers on hand to help and in many cases to help fill in claims.

I am looking into this matter and hope to have a team in place for the FVF who will help right through the process.

I will say that I have delt with my own claim from start with no help. A few things to remember.

1/ Go back through all your injuries no matter how trivial, if you can't remember ask for your notes. They have them so they know.

2/ When their Doc comes to see you make sure he fills in the forms in front of you and get him to read all he has written back to you explaining anything you do not fully understand, he has to comply with all your requests. He has to have your signature on the numbered sheets and a signature for each alteration. Yes he also has his own forms to complete after the visit.

3/ Once you have sent forms in check after a few days, seven to ten, to make sure they have them and that the info is alright.

4/ Ensure that you call your case worker after week five to six to touch base and keep them on their toes.

5/ The agency is one of the best to deal with out of all who are in the benefits business and are very polite and very helpful. They will answer any question no matter how trivial, and don't be afraid to add to your list of ailments if you remember something later.

6/ Use the associations and people like SSAFA they are their to help.

If all else fails use people who like me will help no matter what.

If you have been in the Corps then you should qualify in some way so don't loose out they say only a third of elligable people have so far applied.
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Just something I've put on the thread 9 years no pension.
If you are entitled to a War Pension and are disabled you can also bring your Marines Pension forward, lump sum and all. All you have to do is write to the Pay and Records office, they action it immediately. Any questions PM Moi.
El Presidente
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Yes but you "usually" have to be in receipt of UNEMPLOYABILITY Payment.

ie so unfit that you can't work and THEN you can bring forward your service pension.

I have known blokes who have done it BUT they are few and far between

ALSO If you do get it then watch out for your DHSS payments going DOWN....as you have EXTRA income....and we can't have you going ABOVE the ordinary illegal immigrant now can we?????????

SyY
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

:-?

Being newish, I have only just picked up on this thread

[The WPA are nothing but scum!. They are a government controlled department who's remit is to treat servicemen and women with contempt. They should be dragged out into the street and shot.quote]

I only found out 3 years back that I could lay claim to a war pension, I applied for 4 disabilities, I received a lump sum, I appealed, I received a 40% war disability pension.

It is not easy to get, medical records are NOT always available some of mine are missing, I won't go into that one as that is a matter of sub judice. In my particular case I have felt that the WPA have not been very helpful, one part of my claim took nearly a year to resolve and I feel the quote above from another postee sums it up.

Anyone want some general help, post it here, anyone want some private help please PM me.[/quote]
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

I was thinking about the Vets Agency, as you do, and the delays we all experience. It suddenly dawned on me that what they deal with every day is a bunch of people, needing the cash, applying for a War Pension. Obvious so far. What is less obvious is that they then send off for your service med docs and your civvy docs. When/If they are located the task of unravelling and typing those docs takes place. They are in Docs scrawl, don't convert, presumeably, on Omni Page Pro or any similar programme, so therefore take ages to transcribe. I immediately understood some of the standard delay. The frustration factor caused by this delay is difficult to cope with, especially if you are suffering, but always bounce their offer back at them, it is worth being aggressive, in a polite way, to get your entitlement.
I posted earlier about regional manager/advisors. If you are dissatisfied with your treatment, locate your advisor and use their knowledge and skills, once again it takes time, but it's time well spent.
El Presidente
Twenty One

Post by Twenty One »

El Prez,When you say regional managers/advisors are you referring to the War Pension Welfare Committees.
Dissent Protects Democracy,Gezza Brek!
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

21, There are area/regional managers who will visit you at home, discuss your war pension with you, assess your medical file and if possible advise you to apply for a further pension increase. The guy who visited me in Chester was extremely helpful and pointed out 3 or 4 things I had missed completely, which were obvious once highlighted.
Pause!
I just found his card, and his job title was Welfare Manager. My view is, if you have nothing to hide, you have everything to gain.
El Presidente