Share This Page:

Germany

General chat about Military Finance, Pensions, etc.
zombieslut

Germany

Post by zombieslut »

Please can anyone advise on the pros and cons of accepting a posting to Germany?
I know about the washing line restrictions and all that - but are there any massive pitfalls to be considered?
THE ZOMBIE SLUT
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

You have a choice of whether to accept or not, cool.

Germany is a great posting in my opinion. Good schools for the kids, great social life, safe environment, good climate - hot summers, cold winters. In fact can't think of any negatives.
zombieslut

Post by zombieslut »

Thanks for that. It's all very nerve racking when you're faced with changing your life for a few years - and dragging your man along with you.

We aint marrried - do you think that we will miss out on loads of perks? There isnt a booklet for thems who aint married. I know we wont get no MQ and that i'll have to do the shopping to get the tax free Naffi stuff -

Do you foresee any mega probs other than my bloke can not be reg as a 'dependant' - even though he is- as his employer just pissed off to Spain pending bankrupsy proceedings?

Thanks for any advice
:roll:
THE ZOMBIE SLUT
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

My apologies ZS.

I made the assumption you were married before posting.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know the answers and how your staus effects the normal perks that apply over there.

Good luck with your decision.
Humphs

Post by Humphs »

Go and see your famlies snco he/she might be able to help you a bit as things are changing about dependents now. It also depends on how long you have been together. Best of luck , Also with things like easyjet etc, travel to & from is getting cheeper not the same as comming home from work and him having your tea ready though.
zombieslut

Post by zombieslut »

Thanks for this - you're right. I have done some research and it seems its all recently changed and indeed - you can ask for a MQ if youre unmarried - but in a long term 'inter-dependent' relationship. I'm still trying to get hold of the latest advice -
The (not so) old stuff all starts with - your wife this , your wife that, make sure she takes plenty of nappies for the childern and cooks you roast beef every sunday... blah blah. It just assumes that you are male and that you're married.
I'm no raving feminist - i just see myself as another employee - but it's wierd reading this stuff because it's no help at all to me.

Oh well - i'll have to wait till i get a copy of the latest advice sent through.

I'll probably commute at first, and drown my loneliness with Martini during the week. The sad thing is that once i'm back in MOD office - i'll have to quit this forum - boo hoo.

Regards,
THE ZOMBIE SLUT
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

zombieslut wrote:The sad thing is that once i'm back in MOD office - i'll have to quit this forum - boo hoo.
You should be OK... call it research!
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
judy29

Post by judy29 »

the best thing is tax free cars!
a new 2 litre clio sport costs £13000 over here, in bfg its £9545
bugger!! :(
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

You will love Germany mate but be nice to the boys in red hats as they are like Judge Dread over in BAOR and have lots of silly rules, so im told!
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"