Share This Page:

Recce Troop, 43 Commando RM

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Sticky Blue

Recce Troop, 43 Commando RM

Post by Sticky Blue »

Posted on behalf of Andy O'Pray...
Recce Troop 43 cdo 1962

I am terrible at names: Standing from the left, Sgt Purves CL, C/Sgt ? CL, yours truly Cpl HW, Sgt ? PW, Capt. Murphy OC, Cpl ? sigs, Kneeling from the left Mne?, Mne?, Mne?, Mne Pete Stubbs HW, Mne?, Mne? Mne Mahoney GD, the rest ???????

As you can see my memory for names is the pits. Perhaps some of the old
and bold, such as Rotary, can fill in some of the names.
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Sticks

How come some are wearing bright cap badges and some dark?? It was a bit before my time, so I`m a bit curious that`s all

aye Si
Once....................... Always...tup, three
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Trust a DL to notice that!

You'll have to ask Andy O'Pray mate... I was -2 when this was taken and still in Dadsbag.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Just rechecked my service certificate. It had to be 41 cdo recce troop.

Si, reference the cap badges, I think that the dark cap badges had just been introduced, either that or we were a scruffy bunch who didn't care.

Aye - Andy.
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Andy

I can't help you with any new names, but can confirm the ones you mention! There are faces I recognise, but like you the names won't come!

Capt T J P Murphy, was also a Navy trained heli pilot who, at Middle Wallop in 1965, was the flying instructor for Pete Lawrence (HW), the first Royal Marines SNCO Helicopter Pilot. He then formed 45 Cdo Air Troop in Aden in 1966, was OC 'M' Coy 42 Cdo in Singapore/Bickleigh in 1971, (I was his CSM), and was OC 3 Cdo Bde Air Sqn at Coypool in 1973. (I was his SD staff officer.) He ended up in the Rhodesian Air Force as a Lt Col!

Aye, Derek
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Here`s another little question for the very old and bold.

I saw a news clip of Royal Marines marching through London soon after the war. With my DL's head on, I noticed that the arms were not swung anywhere near in line with the top of the shoulder :o
I`ve asked everyone I know who still has connections at CTC and they have no knowledge of it being taught any other way??

I know it's only a small point, but next time you see some old footage, you have a look.

Anybody from those dark distant days remember??

Aye Si
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Anybody from those dark distant days remember??
Derek, aprez vous! 8)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Si Capon wrote:Here`s another little question for the very old and bold.

I saw a news clip of Royal Marines marching through London soon after the war. With my DL's head on, I noticed that the arms were not swung anywhere near in line with the top of the shoulder :o
I`ve asked everyone I know who still has connections at CTC and they have no knowledge of it being taught any other way??

Aye Si
What was more commonly known as the "Commando Shuffle". Some of the older guys may throw more light on this one. Having spent most of my career in cdo units, apart from ceremonial parades, I don't recall us marching with hands at shoulder height. Being HW I am the wrong guy to ask.

Aye - Andy. :lol:
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

I must admit it's not something I expect many to remember. It`s something I noticed and just thought it would be jumped on these days and wondered why it wasn`t then :-?
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

I always wondered what happened to TJP Murphy. Rhodesia as a Lt Colonel, eh? I only flew with him once, and that was in Malta. He was visiting and said "Let's have Murphy squared on the Flypro" When we got airborne, at night, he asked for my map, which I didn't have - oops!! He then asked for the names of various little clusters of lights around and about us, which, fortunately, I was able to name, one after the other. Saved me part of the bollocking later, though.

Another thing I remember about Murphy was his having an orderley room on one of the carriers, the B, I think, and having the miscreant marched in under the rotor disc of Murphy's Scout, whilst refuelling. Jack couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Going over to the swinging of the arms, Si, when I was instructing at CTC, we taught the nods to swing in line with the shoulder, but trained ranks only swung in line with the belt.

I recall marching the same way when I got nobbled for street lining in London, in 1966.
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Murphy wrote:Going over to the swinging of the arms, Si, when I was instructing at CTC, we taught the nods to swing in line with the shoulder, but trained ranks only swung in line with the belt.

That would explain it....wonder why/when it changed??

Post by Guest »

I passed out in 75, cracked my head but theres no long term damage........i passed out in 75 and cracked my head but theres no long term damage............i passed, oh where was i, yes, i passed out in 75 and as a trained rank, i was allowed to march with my arms swinging. oh, waist high that is, i passed out............... :roll:
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Posted on behalf of Andy O'Pray
The photograph is of 41 cdo doing their 100 mile march from Culdrose ? to Bickleigh. Yours truly right hand man. Circa 1961/62.
This was the "Commando Shuffle".
exroyalmarine

Re: Recce Troop, 43 Commando RM

Post by exroyalmarine »

I was Recce troop 42 Commando back in the Borneo days..great memories of all the guys..ps where are you Dave Greet!!..I was best man at your wedding in Cawsand in 1966..Jock Donaldson :onfire: