Share This Page:

Navy to sell the Royal Marine Logo!

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Artist

Navy to sell the Royal Marine Logo!

Post by Artist »

Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Capt Brian Warren, the Navy's publicity director, said yesterday that the marketing exercise was a deliberate attempt to appear "trendy and cool" to a young audience. "If one or two old Navy veterans have their noses put out of joint, then so be it," he said.
*chokes* You what?

Perhaps i've had too much booze already and this is all jus ta big hallucination...

How the hell did that man make Captain?

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Artist

Post by Artist »

Clocked this on the www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk site (General discussions). There are over 1300 of us on the site and all of us are true blue Bootnecks (Walters tend to get sussed and binned ASAP) plus the Odd Wife and Lady who are also on the Forums cos they love us so much.

As I said on there, lets start a petition to nip this insult in the bud ASAP! I worked my bollocks off to earn my GREEN LID and Commando Flashes.

I'm farked if I want to see some pissed up useless PRONG staggering along a street wearing the logo Royal Marines Commando and the Red Commando Dagger on some beer stained shit stained farking T Shirt! :evil:

Like all who have hacked the course I went though Hell to earn the right to wear my Commando Flashes.

So, I intend to start a Petition which will be sent to the Arsewipe who came up with this idea. A Captain Warren RN. I'm also going to send it to Phil the Greek our Captain General (Well his better half is the Queen!). I also intend to get a national newspaper (I reckon the Daily Mail would agree to sponser the petition) to advertise it to the country and the world as a total insult to the Royal Marines Commandos and all they stand for.

I have been out a fair few years but I am still in my heart a ROYAL MARINES COMMANDO!!! and intend to be one until the day I farking die!!!! :evil: :evil:

Now, heres the problem people. I need someone who's switched on about designing a Petition that can be downloaded via the internet and such like. So help would be welcome. I await help with total confidence knowing that there is someone out there with the nonce to help me.

They also intend to sell the White Ensign and the Submariners Dolphins to the highest bidder, plus a few other bits n bobs. So much for pride hey!?!?!

Artist
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Is it really about what he is say's it is, or are they just so strapped for cash they need to sell off the family silver?

It's a dulution of the very meaning of the symbols.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Cash-strapped Royal Navy sells branded pants
By MATTHEW HICKLEY 22:30pm 15th August 2006

The cash-strapped Royal Navy is planning a major merchandising campaign, stamping its world-famous White Ensign logo on everything from rum to underwear.

Senior commanders have approved a high-profile licensing strategy hoping the traditional cachet of the senior service will help sell ranges of clothing, toys, sports gear and drinks.

Despite the Navy having to scrap warships and aircraft due to budget pressures officials insist the move into merchandising is designed to boost its public profile rather than raise desperately-needed funds, and profits will be ploughed back into public relations rather than paying for combat capability.

But critics warned that the commercial venture set a dangerous precedent, and could lead to the Treasury putting pressure on the armed forces to raise more funds themselves.

The Navy has teamed up with global branding company IMG, which already represents major stars such as Tiger Woods and Kate Moss and runs merchandising for Wimbledon and the British Open golf championship.

A dozen Naval logos have been registered as trademarks including the White Ensign, the crown and anchor badge, the Royal Marines' Commando dagger and globe-and-laurel badge and the badges of the submarine service and Fleet Air Arm.

The venture follows similar efforts by the other two services under the MOD's 'Wider Market' initiative, which has also seen the services looking to make money in peacetime from unused land and facilities such as airstrips as well as its expert trainers.

The RAF has struck a deal with rival branding company 4kids and is hoping ranges of Air Force clothing, bed linen, stationery, watches, lunch boxes and even power tools will be on the high street soon.

There was a legal hiccup when bosses realised shirtmaker Ben Sherman had got their first, and has used the red, white and blue roundel to promote its clothing for years.

The Army is already selling branded running shoes and sportswear, but has yet to embark on a wider merchandising programme.

Captain Brian Warren, the Navy's publicity director, said he would personally veto every product before it went on sale to ensure it met standards of taste.

He said: 'We are trying to spread the word among younger people and get into niche markets, so some items might raise eyebrows in what is still a fairly conservative organisation.

'With clothes we're looking at the upper end of the market, not tacky items that go out of fashion after a few weeks. It's absolutely paramount that the Navy's reputation is not damaged in any way.

'There will be no tobacco and no knives or weapons. Computer games showing unadulterated violence will not be tolerated - were not into blood and guts.'

Royal Navy-branded rum and gin are likely to go on sale, he said, but there will be no tie-in with alco-pop manufacturers. And while silk underwear is being considered, it is likely to be thermal layers for extreme sports or mountaineering rather than exotic lingerie, he insisted.

Naval chiefs hope the licensing strategy will help boost public awareness of the service, which suffers from being almost invisible to the public while the Army makes headlines in Iraq and Afghanistan.

According to IMG vice-president Simon Greswell the Royal Navy and sub-brands such as the Royal Marines, offer a unique combination of history and heritage that will attract retailers.

However current and serving sailors were less convinced. Mike Noonan, chairman of veterans' group the HMS Bulwark, Albion and Centaur Association, said: 'It is a downward spiral. They've been selling off the crown jewels, like defence land, for years. 'It will give the Treasury an excuse to make cuts in future.'

And a serving lieutenant commander said: 'The Navy isn't a cool brand. Audi is. If the Navy wants to be cool, they should put the First Sea Lord on the Jonathan Ross show.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... _a_source=
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Tam527

Post by Tam527 »

Artist,
Try this,
www.gopetition.com/joinnow.php
It's free. You just custom design your own petition page.
There is a few others out there as well. Just google
Hope it helps.

Tam.
'Oi', 'You'!... 'Yes You'! Straighten that fu??ing arm or I'll rip it off and beat you round the head with the soggy end!!
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

I cannot believe First Sea Lord thinks this is a good idea. :o
Farqing ridiculous is my opinion, what`s next Unit sponsors? Four Five, sponsored by Adidas? Royal Berghaus Commandos?
This was probably thought up by the same " brand image consultants" who told BA to bin the Union flag off their aircraft.
Brian Warren best be carefull with his remarks.
Else someone will put his nose out of joint 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
JR

Post by JR »

:evil: :evil: Heyup just found the long streak of p*ss 'Bunny' Warren
The guy who's selling the family jewels he commands a chair in the puzzle palace'
Down targets,Patch out.aye jr :snipersmile:

Save some money from the Defence budget sack the B'stard,give the job to some 3 badge Bootneck
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
ashley

Post by ashley »

As someone who failed to make it past week 15 because of medical complications this just makes me feel hollow, and cheapens the efforts of those aspiring to earn what is at the end, and those who have been there and done it.

Disappointing, and disgraceful.
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

The Royal Navy took over the Royal Marines Air Squadron, and renamed it 847 Sqn, with a new crest that depicts nothing to do with the Corps.

They then got rid of the 8 Gazelle Helicopters, and the RM SNCO pilots.

Now they're flogging our Corps Crest and badges!

Anyone see some sort of conspiracy here? :wink:

Rotary
[img]http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/Snoopy.gif[/img] So far.....so good........but watch your six!
harry hackedoff

Heyup Rotors,
Wouldn`t those strides look great tucked in yer wellies btw, with yer Blues jacket and Stetson for your next Seventh Cav themed run ashore? Yee Haw . 8)
All together now,"She wore, she wore she wore a Yellow Ribbon",
now, where did I leave me Cutlass :-? :drinking:

What`s the latest on the WAH ? Have you had a drive yet 8) And don`t you go trying to change the battery on yer pacemaker Derek, get Parry to do it for you :P :roll: :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
JR

Post by JR »

:roll: :roll: Heyup what next!,trips around the harbour out to the Boy (sorry Buoy) and back,see the ships and meet the men???

Whoops thats been done before,way back into the mists of time Amphibious school Langstone harbour 2nd summer leave party.Shsssss.Aye jr :whistle: :whistle:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
owdun

Post by owdun »

Looks like that bucket needed to be slipped and declinkered,Jim, 'er bottom needs a good scrape an' polish. :D :D

Aye Owdun. :evil:
Artist

Post by Artist »

Archie found this link to a company called img.

www.imgworld.com/feedback/default.sps

Quite a few blokes have already indicated that it would be none to good for PR.

I myself indicated that if I ever see some PRONG ambling along the street wearing Commando Flashes on some Shite T Shirt I will remove the said item ASAP! :evil:

Artist
harry hackedoff

What`s the address for reading my comments? I suggested whoever dreampt up the idea would benefit from being pulled through with barbed wire 8) I couldn`t find it :cry: